pixeltracker

Les Miserables Pre-show SDing...- Page 2

Les Miserables Pre-show SDing...

#25re: Les Miserables Pre-show SDing...
Posted: 3/22/07 at 11:54pm

I'm no huge Daphne fan or defender, but KQuill, what were you exactly expecting Daphne to say other than that? I'm just curious. She was on her way to work and probably didn't have a huge amount of time to devote to conversation as she apparently does after shows. I'd consider it rude if she didn't even acknowledge your comment, but since she did...

KQuill Profile Photo
KQuill
#26re: Les Miserables Pre-show SDing...
Posted: 3/22/07 at 11:59pm

Yeah i suppose you're right...i've just heard all these stories about how she goes out of her way to stop and talk...and when she kept walking after I acknowledged her...I was just surprised. But you're right..she was going in not coming out. Although, I don't really buy that many performers are all that focused or nervous coming in off the street to do a show they do 8 times a week. Idk, that's just me.

orangeskittles Profile Photo
orangeskittles
#27re: Les Miserables Pre-show SDing...
Posted: 3/23/07 at 12:10am

It's probably not that they're so focused on their character's motivation or whatever so much as that they're just focused on getting to work on time and taking care of all the stuff they have to do before the show starts. Any person going into their job can relate to that.

Like a firework unexploded
Wanting life but never knowing how

theminutepast
#28re: Les Miserables Pre-show SDing...
Posted: 3/23/07 at 12:37am

Ha, I'm sorry you found my comments as an "attack."

#29re: Les Miserables Pre-show SDing...
Posted: 3/23/07 at 12:38am

I wasn't referring to you in particular, just the general attack of Sutton fangirls who become overly defensive the second you dare to suggest that she perhaps doesn't want to deal with fans.

NJRae Profile Photo
NJRae
#30re: Les Miserables Pre-show SDing...
Posted: 3/23/07 at 2:00pm

KQuill: Thanks for the stories. Unfortunately you are right, Daphne did not hear good comments very often. A friend of mine complimented her performance after a show and her response was a sad, "Thank you for saying that."

If it makes you feel any better, she was pretty under the weather from January right through her last performance. So while it may have just been that she was trying to get in to work, its also possible that she wasn't feeling well and just didn't have the energy you have heard she usually has. I've seen her go totally out of her way to spend time with fans, and I've seen her just go down the line on auto-pilot signing things. Usually she is extremely friendly (and warm and fuzzy, as you put it, lol) but we all have our days.

Now Jenny . . . lol, I'm surprised you even got her to sign anything! I saw the show five times before Daphne left and never once saw Jenny stop to sign anything for anyone (not saying she never has, just that I never saw it).

"I wrote a book: "How to Be Popular". Now I've put together a top ten list of how to help you: -Elphie, everyday... shower. I mean, who knows? Maybe some of that green is gonna come off! -Deodorant Elphie. No body likes a stinky witch! -I think we've covered the hair, we'll get to that. -Clean underclothes. That's all I'm gonna say. -Look at your posture. That's no way to be popular! -Bed made, room straightened. We've done that. -Colors blended. Oookay. -But the most important thing to have, to make yourself popular, is to keep your beautiful smile." ~Kristin Chenoweth in her last performance of the song "Popular"

Yankeefan007
#31re: Les Miserables Pre-show SDing...
Posted: 3/23/07 at 2:27pm

I got her.

NJRae Profile Photo
NJRae
#32re: Les Miserables Pre-show SDing...
Posted: 3/23/07 at 5:44pm

See, I was sure someone must have. Truth is I saw her duck and run a few times and just never bothered to stop her. Figured if she wanted out that badly I wasn't going to be the one to stop her.

When you saw her did she start signing on her own, or did someone "grab" her? Was she pleasant?

"I wrote a book: "How to Be Popular". Now I've put together a top ten list of how to help you: -Elphie, everyday... shower. I mean, who knows? Maybe some of that green is gonna come off! -Deodorant Elphie. No body likes a stinky witch! -I think we've covered the hair, we'll get to that. -Clean underclothes. That's all I'm gonna say. -Look at your posture. That's no way to be popular! -Bed made, room straightened. We've done that. -Colors blended. Oookay. -But the most important thing to have, to make yourself popular, is to keep your beautiful smile." ~Kristin Chenoweth in her last performance of the song "Popular"

MovieGuy1031 Profile Photo
MovieGuy1031
#33re: Les Miserables Pre-show SDing...
Posted: 3/23/07 at 9:13pm

Oh Daphne... she really was so friendly at the stage door! I stage-doored twice back in November, the first night she seemingly was on autopilot and didn't personalize anything, as I had heard that she tends to do. BUT, the second night I was there, it was her birthday, and I mentioned "So I heard you have a french accent when you're a boy [in the second act]!" and she looked at me, laughed, and jokingly just said "Oh shutup!".

Then, after she had gotten down the line, two friends and I sang "Happy Birthday" to her, which she seemingly enjoyed.

...then she gave my friend her earrings. It was awesomely gracious... but my friend is a boy!

"The nice thing about the rain is that it always stops... eventually."

- Eeyore

MovieGuy1031 Profile Photo
MovieGuy1031
#34re: Les Miserables Pre-show SDing...
Posted: 3/23/07 at 9:17pm

Oh, and as for my previous story about Sutton, I then asked her if she'd be coming out the stage door after the show (Because I didn't currently have a camera...), and she kind of shifted awkwardly and said "No, i've got to get over to Spamalot... its my husband's last day!"

Its not that I don't believe her, its just that i'm sure she would have had time... I was there on BC/EFA fundraising day though, so I don't know how many actors actually came out of the stage door... many of them were sprinkled through the lobby holding the buckets for money. (I paid $20 for a polaroid with Beth!)

PS~ I actually saw Sutton at the Spamalot stage door back in August, but I was afraid to stop her... she looked like she was doing her best to avoid people like me. She swooped in out of the darkness of Shubert Alley and into the stage door, swifty as ever!

"The nice thing about the rain is that it always stops... eventually."

- Eeyore

musicalsFan
#35re: Les Miserables Pre-show SDing...
Posted: 3/23/07 at 9:31pm

To KQuill,

For about 2-3 weeks before her last day in Les Miz, Daphne was pulling two shifts so to speak - rehearsing Jack Goes Boating during the day and performing in Les Miz and battling a bad cold.

Hopefully, you'll get to meet her again at the stage door after a show. :)

KQuill Profile Photo
KQuill
#36re: Les Miserables Pre-show SDing...
Posted: 3/23/07 at 9:55pm

good to know, thnx lol

NJRae Profile Photo
NJRae
#37re: Les Miserables Pre-show SDing...
Posted: 3/23/07 at 10:46pm

Oh yeah! I forgot about that part of it. Not only was she under the weather but she was rehearsing by day and performing by night. Safe to say she was pretty beat. Every time I saw her she just kept telling me how tired she was and crappy she felt. By the time you saw her she was probably a zombie. With a cold, no less!

Diva Doll
#38re: Les Miserables Pre-show SDing...
Posted: 3/24/07 at 12:08am

"I find it quite rude when an actor or actress refuses to sign autographs. To me, it's part of their job, to support the people who so support them."

Actually, it's not part of their job. Yeah, you can argue that they wouldn't be anyone without their fans, and they should sign yada yada yada, but it's all a matter of personal preference. Their job is to give you a performance. Some people are shy and reserved. It doesn't mean that they're rude. And above all, remember that they are HUMAN. They have good and bad days just like anyone else and may choose not to sign on a particular day b/c they are just ready to go home from work. Think about it...you're leaving work, tired, probably hungry and maybe ready to just go to bed. But all of a sudden, you walk out of your office and there are hordes of people wanting something from you. You're off the clock. Are you obligated to stay there?

wonderfulwizard11 Profile Photo
wonderfulwizard11
#39re: Les Miserables Pre-show SDing...
Posted: 3/24/07 at 12:11am

Agreed, Diva. I think it is very nice when actors come out the stagedoor, but iit isn't part of their job. If someone does not come out, I may be dissapointed, but i know they have a hard job and it can't be easy to stop and sign for fans after every show.

I am a firm believer in serendipity- all the random pieces coming together in one wonderful moment, when suddenly you see what their purpose was all along.

Yankeefan007
#40re: Les Miserables Pre-show SDing...
Posted: 3/24/07 at 1:19am

NJRae - I asked her if she'd mind signing an autograph.

WellIfYouInsist
#41re: Les Miserables Pre-show SDing...
Posted: 3/24/07 at 1:23am

OMG!!!!

WOW.

I didn't know Julia Roberts posts here!!1 COOL

NJRae Profile Photo
NJRae
#42re: Les Miserables Pre-show SDing...
Posted: 3/24/07 at 7:10am

Yankeefan: Lol, now why didn't I think of that?

Diva: You took the words right out of my mouth.

secret-soul Profile Photo
secret-soul
#43Pre-show SDing for Les Miz
Posted: 3/24/07 at 10:32am

Many of the actors is Les Miz are great for pre-show SDing, but some of them show up very close to call and have less time to sign or chat. Gary is usually there a few minutes before call and if you see him, he WILL stop for you. He's a VERY kind man. The other day, I was standing outside the theatre with some friends around 7:20 and he saw one of us whom he recognized, came over and chilled on the wall with him. That was cool. Adam, Drew, Aaron, and many of the ensemble members WILL stop if you recognize them AND they're not running to get inside. I've only ever had good experiences at that theatre with this group.

Post show, watch out for Jenny, Megan McGinnis, Becca, Q, Nikki, Victor and some other speedy ones who attempt to make a dash for it unless they're expecting to see someone.

Hope that helped...a little?

Plince! Plince! Nein! T-Rex!!

Katurian2 Profile Photo
Katurian2
#44Pre-show SDing for Les Miz
Posted: 3/24/07 at 10:44am

Diva~ It's not for the ocassional person having a bad day, I have stage doored for "Coast of Utopia" many a time, and a few of those, Billy Crudup rushes quickly out, head down, and turns the corner. However, on most of the occasions, he is a sweetie, signing and chatting with everybody. The people that bother me are repeat "offenders" so to speak, such as Sutton, who continue to deny and neglect their fans, and it's pretty obvious she is not a shy person. I can understand the quick-run somenights, especially for example on weekends or Fridays, but otherwise, and I know they are human, but really, most every working human works a few minutes of overtime every day. Can't they just afford a few with the people who just spent $100 to see them?

"Are you sorry for civilization? I am sorry for it too." ~Coast of Utopia: Shipwreck

ashley0139
#45Pre-show SDing for Les Miz
Posted: 3/24/07 at 10:44am

secret_soul- I kind of wonder if with some of the people you mentioned they get by because people usually just don't recognize them. After one of the shows, Megan came out and walked right by everyone and no one even said anything (and she had been playing Eponine that night). She was just standing over to the side for a while and no one went up to her. So I don't think it's that some of them are trying to get away as opposed to most stage dooring people just don't recognize them.

"This table, he is over one hundred years old. If I could, I would take an old gramophone needle and run it along the surface of the wood. To hear the music of the voices. All that was said." - Doug Wright, I Am My Own Wife
Updated On: 3/24/07 at 10:44 AM

ashbash1990 Profile Photo
ashbash1990
#46Pre-show SDing for Les Miz
Posted: 3/24/07 at 10:47am

Jenny Ducked and ran when I was at Les Miz too... But I Politley said, "excuse me, Miss Galloway, could you sign this for me please?" (giving her my playbill and a marker) and she obliged...

What a night! I was in more laps than a napkin!

NJRae Profile Photo
NJRae
#47Pre-show SDing for Les Miz
Posted: 3/24/07 at 11:56pm

"Post show, watch out for Jenny, Megan McGinnis, Becca, Q, Nikki, Victor and some other speedy ones who attempt to make a dash for it unless they're expecting to see someone."

Lol, its funny cause I have heard many times that Nikki in particular is hard to meet, yet I have talked to her every time I've been there. Very, very briefly but . . . yeah. Actually the only one on that list that I haven't seen/spoken to each time (or nearly every time) is Jenny. And I love Victor, he cracks me up. :)

Kim4
#48Pre-show SDing for Les Miz
Posted: 3/26/07 at 10:38am

I don't know what people are talking about. I got Celia, Ali, Megan, Lea, Jenny, Adam, Drew Sarich, Gary, Kyle Liya Goldstein, Brian D'Addario, Blake Ginther, Haivland Stillwell, and Nikki Renee Daniels to sign a window card, and none of them gave any trouble.

KQuill Profile Photo
KQuill
#49Pre-show SDing for Les Miz
Posted: 3/26/07 at 11:22am

lol...does she go by Kyle when she goes on as an emergency Gavroche?