Working on Cruise Ships

redhotinnyc2 Profile Photo
redhotinnyc2
#2re: Working on Cruise Ships
Posted: 3/30/07 at 6:58pm

When I did it, it was a million years ago (oh, allright, Seventeen years!)...it was a small ship and the production values weren't very good - but it was fun and I'd do it again in a heartbeat if I wasn't in a relationship and 45 years old. I really had a great time on that ship and loved being in the sun, getting to travel and see new places and meet new people.
If you can get in with a good production company, you can have a lot of fun, I believe.

"I don't really get the ending,all i can go with is when after several months,Judith saw Pat sang,and later she kissed him on the toilet,after that the story back to where Pat went down from the stage after he'd sung,and he went to the italian lady.I just don't get it,what Judith exatcly meant when he kissed Pat that she had seen,and did Pat end up together with The Italian Lady?Please help me,thank u very much!" Quote from someone on IMDB in reference to a movie he/she didn't understand. Such grammar!

SweetQintheLights
#2re: Working on Cruise Ships
Posted: 3/30/07 at 7:32pm

Popular and TheatreDiva have bothed worked on cruise ships. I've known many people of who have worked on them also.

There is a world of difference in working on a cruise ship depending on the job you have. Are you asking about any job in particular?

"How bout a little black dress?"~hannahshule "I have a penis, not a vagina." ~munkustrap178

best12bars Profile Photo
best12bars
#3re: Working on Cruise Ships
Posted: 3/30/07 at 7:37pm

SweetQ is right.

Plus on most ships you have multiple duties.

Nobody I know has ever just worked as a performer. (Unless they're a headliner.)

If you're a member of the singing/dancing groups, you'll also likely do anything from holding exercise classes to shuffle board to bingo. Even become a dance hall hostess... like Sweet Charity only more legit.

(barely)

You'll also help with shore excursions, plus embarkation and debarkation.

"Jaws is the Citizen Kane of movies."
blocked: logan2, Diamonds3, Hamilton22

Copeman63 Profile Photo
Copeman63
#4re: Working on Cruise Ships
Posted: 3/30/07 at 7:37pm

I worked for Royal Caribbean International for three years, and enjoyed (almost) every minute of it. In terms of production values at sea, they are tops. You find another cruise line with more state of the art equipment, so for a tech, it's a field day. In terms of the performers, it totally depends on which line you work for. RCCL, for example, has the singers and dancers share cabins, but there is very little to do other than perform. I've heard other ships pay more, but in exchange there are some "cruise staff duties", which can mean anything to greeting on the gangway to calling bingo... Check out www.royalcaribbeanproductions.com for more information, pictures and auditions. Let me know if you have any more questions...

PS- After you hear me rave about how great RCCL is, you may wonder why I left... I just wanted a home that didn't move everynight, nothing bad... Just like any touring job, it ran it's course.

If Lincoln were alive today, do you think he'd be pleased with his tunnel?

Popular Profile Photo
Popular
#5re: Working on Cruise Ships
Posted: 3/30/07 at 7:42pm

I worked for Royal Caribbean for a few years as part of the entertainment department, but not as a performer (unless you count hosting karaoke, calling out bingo, emceeing pool parties, teaching line dance classes, being "on" all the time, and smiling at crabby passengers).

SweetQintheLights
#6re: Working on Cruise Ships
Posted: 3/30/07 at 7:45pm

Working in a cruise ship is almost a 24/7 job. When you (as a passenger) are around the ship, you may see performers 'performing' other duties/jobs and not even realize they are the performers. It's not all fun. And they work. Hard.
Performing on a a cruise ship is not only performing on stage. You have to "act" happy with the passengers ALL the time whether they act nice to you or not.

So many people go on cruises with the attitude of "This is so cool, I'm going to be sailing the seas for ____ of months. Free room and food"

Yes, free room (a very small room and likely to be with 1 or 2 other people). Yes, free food- however, it sure isn't the food the passengers are getting!
That is, unless you have a "higher" end job.

Don't let me detract the positives- I know it can be a blast but you have to realize, going in, that's it's hard work.

I'm kind of assuming you are asking about performing but as I said before:
"There is a world of difference in working on a cruise ship depending on the job you have. Are you asking about any job in particular?"

"How bout a little black dress?"~hannahshule "I have a penis, not a vagina." ~munkustrap178
Updated On: 3/30/07 at 07:45 PM

best12bars Profile Photo
best12bars
#7re: Working on Cruise Ships
Posted: 3/30/07 at 7:50pm

If you don't have a lot of expenses (like maintaining a big-city apartment) back on "dry land," it can be a great way to save a lot of money... simply because you don't have a lot of expenses at sea... and you don't have a lot of time or ways to spend your hard-earned paychecks.

I have quite a few friends who did this for 4 or 5 years, and then had a nice "egg" saved for a new car, down-payment on something, college money, etc.

"Jaws is the Citizen Kane of movies."
blocked: logan2, Diamonds3, Hamilton22

#8re: Working on Cruise Ships
Posted: 3/30/07 at 9:44pm

I also worked for several lines and loved it. Traveling on someone elses dime is always a good time! singers and dancers are treated differently. As a singer you have no duties, dancers generally do....don't know why. But it is a great experience....

Tag Profile Photo
Tag
#9re: Working on Cruise Ships
Posted: 3/30/07 at 11:12pm

Two questions for anyone that can answer:

1) Does anyone know of an employment website like the Royal Caribbean entertainment one linked above, for Disney cruises? Anyone have any Disney cruise experience/stories?

2) Does Royal Caribbean hire outside of the US (ie. Canadians) for their technical positions? I know their website has an audition date in Toronto for performers, but I'd like to know about technicians/stage managers.

Thanks!

ashley0139
#10re: Working on Cruise Ships
Posted: 3/30/07 at 11:20pm

I have spoken in depth several times with many performers on many different lines. I know on one (I believe Princess) the singers do not have any other duties AND have passenger privileges (i.e. can walk all halls and stairwells and eat in the passenger buffet) while dancers have to wear name tags at all times and do not have the same privileges. I don't know why either. But it seems to be a great way to save some money while performing.

"This table, he is over one hundred years old. If I could, I would take an old gramophone needle and run it along the surface of the wood. To hear the music of the voices. All that was said." - Doug Wright, I Am My Own Wife

#11re: Working on Cruise Ships
Posted: 3/31/07 at 12:10am

tag....they all hire people from out of the US....but they must obtain a working visa.

wish I would help you with the disney question.

white guy Profile Photo
white guy
#12re: Working on Cruise Ships
Posted: 3/31/07 at 12:28am

i worked on the disney wonder for 8 months....for 1 month was paradise...it just wasn't for me for such a long time. ship life. i know it sounds weird, but TOO MUCH BEACH.

PM me with any questions.

i highly recommend it right out of college. do it while you're young. great money saver to move to NY.
click my website and disney cruise page for pics.

shanescot Profile Photo
shanescot
#13re: Working on Cruise Ships
Posted: 3/31/07 at 12:32am

I worked for Carnival for a while and it was EASY and fun. All I had to do was perform 2 nights a week, and the rest of the time I was free to do what I wanted. Style-wise, the shows were very 'Las Vegas.' The money was pretty decent, too. If you're ready and willing to leave behind your life on land for a while, I highly reccommend it.

meagan9848 Profile Photo
meagan9848
#14re: Working on Cruise Ships
Posted: 3/31/07 at 1:56am

white guy, your pictures made me want to be on Castaway Cay...RIGHT NOW!

Idina: Somehow I got myself to the stage, came out at the end of the show, and I had some kind of closure.
Some guy: You looked great!
Idina: Thanks...I WAS SO HIGH! 8/21/05

Nillatini
#15re: Working on Cruise Ships
Posted: 3/31/07 at 11:56am

I worked on the disney magic for 2 contracts and a replacement contract! it had it's good and bad points! It may have changed since I worked on there, but the duties other than performing were very minimal and you get your own room when you are a mainstage perfomer. I think it would have been a completely different experience if I had to share a room. The Shows are fun and technically, pretty good...the stage is pretty advanced...their are 3 lifts and a ton of fly space.
I think it's a great way to save money and pay off student loans...if you play your cards right, you can leave their with a nice chunk of change! Most importantly, if you are going to work for DCL, I would go into the job with a positive attutude! It will make your contract so much better. My first contract was awesome, but my second was not as fun and that was partly becaue of the attitudes of the cast members....you have to remember that your on a ship and things are not going to be perfect all the time...If you go with the flow and just enjoy your time there, you can come back with some really great memories and bank acct. that is not too shabby! Hope that helps!

skingdom
#16re: Working on Cruise Ships
Posted: 3/31/07 at 2:06pm

why do i feel like barrett foa has posted a reply?

skingdom out.

Lizzya9
#17re: Working on Cruise Ships
Posted: 3/31/07 at 3:27pm

i really want to be a dancer/musical theatre performer on Disney Cruise Lines. does anyone know anything about that experience, and is it a hard job to get? i mean obviously i know you have to audition - but is there much competition? considering that the pay isn't spectacular and living in those tiny cabins.

nealb1 Profile Photo
nealb1
#18re: Working on Cruise Ships
Posted: 3/31/07 at 3:53pm

I worked on Princess Cruises as a singer, then a headliner in the main showroom for 3 years....many years ago. Saved up a ton of money and had a blast doing it.

SweetQintheLights
#19re: Working on Cruise Ships
Posted: 3/31/07 at 3:56pm

nealb- Can I ask how many years ago it was when you worked on Princess?

neddyfrank2
#20re: Working on Cruise Ships
Posted: 3/31/07 at 4:04pm

Lizzy- For you it would be hard

Tag Profile Photo
Tag
#21re: Working on Cruise Ships
Posted: 3/31/07 at 4:09pm

How much money are we talking about?

nealb1 Profile Photo
nealb1
#22re: Working on Cruise Ships
Posted: 3/31/07 at 4:42pm

I worked on Princess from 1986-1989. Then I went back in 1993 for a 6 month gig.

Lizzya9
#23re: Working on Cruise Ships
Posted: 4/1/07 at 4:18pm

neddy please don't be mean, I am asking a serious question here. anyone have answers to my questions? thanks = )

Lizzya9
#24re: Working on Cruise Ships
Posted: 4/1/07 at 8:48pm

bump**

Lizzya9
#25re: Working on Cruise Ships
Posted: 4/2/07 at 7:47pm

BUMP!

please people I really need answers to my questions!! = )