pixeltracker

Musicals That Adapt To Their Movie Versions

Musicals That Adapt To Their Movie Versions

Effie Im TIRED Profile Photo
Effie Im TIRED
#1Musicals That Adapt To Their Movie Versions
Posted: 4/29/07 at 7:41pm

What musicals have you seen/heard of that have adapted to their movie versions?

Example: a production of Grease doing "You're The One That I Want" or The Sound of Music adding "I Have Confidence". I've always wondered if productions have made or are allowed to make these adjustments.

Wrong, sir. Wrong! Under section 37B of the contract signed by him, it states quite clearly that all offers shall become null and void if - and you can read it for yourself in this photostatic copy - "I, the undersigned, shall forfeit all rights, privileges, and licenses herein and herein contained," et cetera, et cetera..."Fax mentis incendium gloria cultum," et cetera, et cetera..."Memo bis punitor delicatum"! It's all there, black and white, clear as crystal! You stole fizzy lifting drinks. You bumped into the ceiling which now has to be washed and sterilized, so you get nothing! You lose! Good day sir!

mateo Profile Photo
mateo
#2re: Musicals That Adapt To Their Movie Versions
Posted: 4/29/07 at 7:46pm

The 2000 revival of Music Man had similarities with the '62 film version. Although "My White Knight" was still used and not Jones' "Being In Love."

Although, I prefer "Being In Love."

"Zac is sweet as can be. He's very much just a sweet kid from California who happens to have a face that looks like it was drawn by Michelangelo, (if Michelangelo did anime)."
-Adam Shankman.

"I haven't left this building since Windows 3.1!"

"Celebrating a birthday this week: Rene Descartes is 412! Do you know who he is? Then why are you watching this show? You could probably get into college and even get one of those job things. As for the rest of us; Amanda Bynes is 22! Yay!"
-E!'s "The Soup"

wickedfan Profile Photo
wickedfan
#2re: Musicals That Adapt To Their Movie Versions
Posted: 4/29/07 at 7:54pm

The 1998 Cabaret revival adding Mein Herr, Maybe This Time, and "Money Make the World Go Around".

"Sing the words, Patti!!!!" Stephen Sondheim to Patti LuPone.

Paulyd Profile Photo
Paulyd
#3re: Musicals That Adapt To Their Movie Versions
Posted: 4/29/07 at 8:12pm

The 2006 London revival of Evita added 'You Must Love me' into the score, which originally appeared the the film.

Most stage shows that are made into film usually always add a brand new tune. This has happened to Evita, Chicago, and Dreamgirls to name but a few. This is for the AMPAS,as unoriginal songs cannot be shortlisted for an Oscar. Chicago was beaten to the post by Eminem, and Dreamgirls had 3 tunes up for a best song, but lost to Meliisa Etheridge.

Can you believe that Madonna has performed two best oscar winning songs. Now if she could act.........

AnnaK<3LMIP Profile Photo
AnnaK<3LMIP
#4re: Musicals That Adapt To Their Movie Versions
Posted: 4/29/07 at 8:14pm

"Can you believe that Madonna has performed two best oscar winning songs. Now if she could act........."

Or sing them the way they're supposed to be sung. Meaning well. And not like it's a music video. (even though I love her.)

I mean, Denzel Washington? Gun to my head..of course.
Updated On: 4/29/07 at 08:14 PM

songanddanceman2 Profile Photo
songanddanceman2
#5re: Musicals That Adapt To Their Movie Versions
Posted: 4/29/07 at 8:15pm

Madonna did a great job in evita , Dick Tracey, whos that girl and Desperately seeking susan and gave a mind blowing performance in Dangerous Game.

She just also thought Body Of Evidence,Next Best Thing, Swept Away and shanghai surprise were good ideas.

Namo i love u but we get it already....you don't like Madonna

Paulyd Profile Photo
Paulyd
#6re: Musicals That Adapt To Their Movie Versions
Posted: 4/29/07 at 8:44pm

Songanddanceman2 - I have to agree with you with Evita. She was good in it, but i think most of the credit has to come from Alan Parker for that.

Dick Tracey - Looked great, but Madonna was pretty appalling. Her first rendition of Sooner or Later at the beginning of the movie was just painful.

Whos That Girl - Director James Foley should be ashamed of himself. There is nothing great about this film. Considering he directed Glengarry Glen Ross, what the hell was he thinking about with this piece of rot.

As for the rest of her films i just dont have the energy. Dangerous game may have been good until Ferrera got his scissors into it.

The only this i can say is if you havent seen it watch the original verison of Swept Away, and you can see how it should have been done.

I am a fan of Madonna's but i just dont understand why she feels the need to inflict us all with her appalling actings skills.

Body of Evidence? Now where did I leave that bucket...

AnnaK<3LMIP
#7re: Musicals That Adapt To Their Movie Versions
Posted: 4/29/07 at 8:48pm

But she sings everything like it's one of her music videos! I've never not gotten that impression from her performances. And yes, it's because she sings pop music and performs in music videos. That's what she does best. Besides looking so fabulous.

strelimyn Profile Photo
strelimyn
#8re: Musicals That Adapt To Their Movie Versions
Posted: 4/29/07 at 8:51pm

Many of the lyrical and dialogue changes that went into the '97 Revival of Once Upon a Mattress obtained a bunch of the changes from the '72 color movie version. For example, the different lyrics in "Happily Ever After" (Winifred, maid of the myre, has one simple human desire) were in the movie version. Actually, now that I come to think of it, a lot of the changes made for the '05 movie were emulated from the '72 movie.

sumladfrompa.tumblr.com

ashbash1990 Profile Photo
ashbash1990
#9re: Musicals That Adapt To Their Movie Versions
Posted: 4/29/07 at 9:15pm

I know that everyone expects to hear "pretty, and witty,and GAY" during I feel pretty due to the WSS movie... BTW, Evita could have been a better movie if it wasn't made like a Madonna music video...

What a night! I was in more laps than a napkin!

songanddanceman2
#10re: Musicals That Adapt To Their Movie Versions
Posted: 4/29/07 at 9:21pm

paulyd

I thought she was great in Dick Tracey(she was nominated for some acting awards for that to and got some great reviews)

Whos that girl is a shakey film but has some fun moments in but her comic timing was great.

Dangerous Game is an awful film but she stands out(again this gave her some good reviews)

Body of Evidence-I have the bucket i will pass it to you now hahaha

ashbash
As for evita would have been better if it didnt look like a madonna video????? erm what madonna video are you talking about? the cinematography was great in evita and parker shot it really well

Paulyd Profile Photo
Paulyd
#11re: Musicals That Adapt To Their Movie Versions
Posted: 4/29/07 at 9:30pm

Songanddanceman2

Parker is one of the best directors around, and especially for muscials. Who else can have such a varied range of musicals films on his CV Fame, Evita, The Commitments and even Pink Floyds 'The Wall'

Out of interest what awards did Madge pick up for Dick Tracy?

Her comic timing in Whos That Girl was not great, just embarrising. I bet Griffin Dunne was pissed that he came off a Scorsese film and followed it up with this tripe.

If Ferrera had left Dangerous Game as it should have been Madonna would have been amazing, as it stands though she just looks like a rabbit caught in the headlights.

Thanks for the bucket anyway, you can have it back now
Updated On: 4/29/07 at 09:30 PM

songanddanceman2
#12re: Musicals That Adapt To Their Movie Versions
Posted: 4/29/07 at 9:33pm

she didnt win for dick Tracey she was just nominated

We will have to agree to disagree on whos that girl hehehe.

I still think she comes off well in Dangerous Game but you can tell the film has been snipped so much grrrrrr.

Parker is a god when it comes to directing

AnnaK<3LMIP
#13re: Musicals That Adapt To Their Movie Versions
Posted: 4/29/07 at 9:51pm

I was fine with the direction of the Evita movie. It's Madonna's performance itself that I felt was not showing any theatrical depth.

frontrowcentre2 Profile Photo
frontrowcentre2
#14re: Musicals That Adapt To Their Movie Versions
Posted: 4/29/07 at 9:53pm

Somteimes teh rights holders surrender to popular demand if they can.

So many people were adding "I Have Confidence"and "Something good" to stage productions of TSOM that for a while theywere offered at an additional fee.

The 1998 Broadway production re-wrote the show to be more like the film, putting "My Favorite Things" in the Thuderstorm scene and bumping "Lonely Goatherd" to the concert scene (where it worked quite well, sounding as it does like folk song.)

But still, many groups try lifing some of the dialogue from the movie and the R&H organization stopped one regional from doing this simply because the screenplay is controlled by 20th Century Fox...and not R&H.

In cases where the movie impoves upon the show, naturally people want to take advantage of those strengths, but when you buy the rights to do S fo M, or GREASE you are NOT buying the rights to stage the film: You are buying the rights to do the stage play and the contract specifies it must be done as writen.

Cast albums are NOT "soundtracks."
Live theatre does not use a "soundtrack." If it did, it wouldn't be live theatre!

I host a weekly one-hour radio program featuring cast album selections as well as songs by cabaret, jazz and theatre artists. The program, FRONT ROW CENTRE is heard Sundays 9 to 10 am and also Saturdays from 8 to 9 am (eastern times) on www.proudfm.com

husk_charmer
#15re: Musicals That Adapt To Their Movie Versions
Posted: 4/29/07 at 10:14pm

frontrowcentre-
R & H STILL liscences "I Have Confidence" and "Something Good," and you can get the re-write for "My Favorite Things" to be elsewhere if you so choose.

http://www.youtube.com/huskcharmer

frontrowcentre2 Profile Photo
frontrowcentre2
#16re: Musicals That Adapt To Their Movie Versions
Posted: 5/2/07 at 10:12pm

I don't know if the original 1959 version is still available but it seems most recent productions I have seen have used the altered 1998 script.

Cast albums are NOT "soundtracks."
Live theatre does not use a "soundtrack." If it did, it wouldn't be live theatre!

I host a weekly one-hour radio program featuring cast album selections as well as songs by cabaret, jazz and theatre artists. The program, FRONT ROW CENTRE is heard Sundays 9 to 10 am and also Saturdays from 8 to 9 am (eastern times) on www.proudfm.com

#17re: Musicals That Adapt To Their Movie Versions
Posted: 5/3/07 at 6:03am

I think Madonna, oddly or maybe this makes perfect sense, CAN act *when she sings*. Which made her pretty good for Evita. Not perfect but it's one of her best movie performances--and she's good in her music videos--I guess they were good preparation. Remove the music though and...

(I'd love to have seen Sondheim making her cry by getting her to rehearse the Tracy songs so much but one thing he did give her was better than average enunciation for a pop star--in ALL her post Tracy stuff you can always really understand her and she has pretty good phrasing--and apparantly Sondheim drilling her is partly responsible)

Anyway--how is Music Man's revival based on th emovie? The movie was directed by the director of the original stage version so I assumed that was simply it...

(And Madonna did perform Sooner or Later, which won best song, at the Oscars in 1990 I believe)

Back to movies--some versions of A Little Night Music (since the RNT version?) perform an amalgamated mix of the film and stage Glamorous Life. Such a great song but I doubt its performance has anything to do with love by audience members for the flop movie...

Cabaret is the best example--What was the first major production to mix movie elements? I know Hal Prince's 1987 20th Anniversary remounting, which was largely exactly the same except for a more sexually liberal book by Masteroff, combined the film and stage Money songs but I don't think anything else--but Mein herr and especially Maybe This Time are in most stage versions and I believe were before 1987.

Have ANY versions of West Side Story used the movie changes--like Cool and Krupke being switched around (which makes sense even if on stage the comic relief of Krupke is great, I agree with Sondheim when he said that a group of teens on the run from the cops wouldn't stop to talk about Krupke...) I actually wouldn't mind mor eversions using the movie America--one of the changes I like best in any movie musical although it might give the guys way too much dancing and not be possible.

(is the Pretty and gay line in I feel Pretty *only* in the movie?? If it is I've never noticed that before...)

E

Mythus
#18re: Musicals That Adapt To Their Movie Versions
Posted: 5/3/07 at 9:36am

Eric - In the movie, it's gay/today, because the scene takes place during the day, and in the musical it's bright/tonight, since it takes place at night. At least, I think that's what it is.

#19re: Musicals That Adapt To Their Movie Versions
Posted: 5/3/07 at 8:29pm

I'll have to compare cuz I never noticed that before! but it would make sense for the change

Videos