News on your favorite shows, specials & more!
pixeltracker

Finally saw the 4th of the Best Musicals...

Finally saw the 4th of the Best Musicals...

Trish2
#1Finally saw the 4th of the Best Musicals...
Posted: 5/17/07 at 12:05am

Well , I finally saw the last of the 4 Best Musical nominees tonight: Spring Awakening.

Naturally, i was expecting the second coming due the chats, reviews, etc. The theater was filled to the brim, including standing room. The show certainly takes a while to get moving, and I personally found the score monotonous . There were a few songs that had something going, but the jarring "buttons" just made no sense to me. Interesting that the sustained applause for "Totally Fked" had half of the audience looking around to try to understand what was going on. I honestly wouldn't recommend it to friends nor would I purchase the CD. Naturally, it was a polished and slick piece, but I kept thinking this seems like a fantastic college production done at CCM, NYU or Carnegie Mellon. The cast was hardworking and not without talent, but again, of the top draw University crowd. Those kids must be pinching themselves to even be in the TONY race ! Well good for them.

So now we have Curtains, which I found enjoyable, mostly because of the talents of Hyde Pierce and Monk, some fun characters, quirky story and a couple of good songs.

Grey Gardens with fantastic performances by Ebersole and Wilson as well. Again with a couple of good songs. At least I found the subject matter and book well done and intriguing.

And finally, the un-magical Poppins. The show that should have danced (much better than it does), and should have been fantastical. Instead they chose the darker route. A choice yes, but I feel the wrong one.

I can honestly say that this could be anyone's year. Nothing, with the exception of Ebersole's performance and the intensity of Journey's End, blew me away this year. I just hope Shaiman's got a nice surprise for us again soon.

(And no, I didn't see 110 yet Finally saw the 4th of the Best Musicals... )

munkustrap178 Profile Photo
munkustrap178
#2re: Finally saw the 4th of the Best Musicals...
Posted: 5/17/07 at 12:08am

I agree with you about SPRING AWAKENING.

Disagree about POPPINS. I didn't think it was dark enough. They took this sugary sweet approach to the story line, rushed past important moments that SHOULD be dark (Feed the Birds) and ended the show with a dime-a-dozen inspirational song about dreams.

But overall, I would rather see POPPINS win best musical over SPRING AWAKENING.

Actually, at this point, I would rather see BROOKLYN win best musical over SPRING AWAKENING.

"If you are going to do something, do it well. And leave something witchy." -Charlie Manson

#2re: Finally saw the 4th of the Best Musicals...
Posted: 5/17/07 at 12:14am

The performers in Spring Awakening definitely outclass the material they have to work with. The director, Michael Mayer, must have had a ball with that masturbation scene re: Finally saw the 4th of the Best Musicals...

munkustrap178
#3re: Finally saw the 4th of the Best Musicals...
Posted: 5/17/07 at 12:17am

I don't agree.

Other than Gallagher and Groff, the rest of the teen acting is amateur at best. I actually found moments painfull.

"If you are going to do something, do it well. And leave something witchy." -Charlie Manson

CurtainPullDowner Profile Photo
CurtainPullDowner
#4re: Finally saw the 4th of the Best Musicals...
Posted: 5/17/07 at 12:21am

or two "balls".

munkustrap178
#5re: Finally saw the 4th of the Best Musicals...
Posted: 5/17/07 at 12:23am

You are so odd.

RentBoy86
#6re: Finally saw the 4th of the Best Musicals...
Posted: 5/17/07 at 12:24am

"I personally found the score monotonous"

I totally agree. It just seems more levels or something. The entire score sounds like the same song just dragged out.

gumbo2 Profile Photo
gumbo2
#7re: Finally saw the 4th of the Best Musicals...
Posted: 5/17/07 at 12:27am

To me, Grey Gardens is the clear winner...although I did enjoy Spring Awakening more than it seems you all did. Gallagher deserves his Tony nomination, as does the score, in my opinion.

RentBoy86
#8re: Finally saw the 4th of the Best Musicals...
Posted: 5/17/07 at 12:31am

But it sucks that SA is going to win.

gumbo2 Profile Photo
gumbo2
#9re: Finally saw the 4th of the Best Musicals...
Posted: 5/17/07 at 12:36am

Although it wasn't my favorite, I can think of worse Best Musical winners. It really is nice to have a different, innovative show on Broadway. Actually just about all my friends who aren't into theatre who have listened to the CD really enjoy it. I think it's a good thing for Broadway.

wonderfulwizard11 Profile Photo
wonderfulwizard11
#10re: Finally saw the 4th of the Best Musicals...
Posted: 5/17/07 at 12:37am

I actually really enjoy Sheik's music. I have many more problems with the lyrics. I don't like most of them.

I am a firm believer in serendipity- all the random pieces coming together in one wonderful moment, when suddenly you see what their purpose was all along.

munkustrap178
#11re: Finally saw the 4th of the Best Musicals...
Posted: 5/17/07 at 12:39am

I enjoy the music, too. The lyrics are not good.

But as far as a score goes - it doesn't deserve to win the Tony.

gumbo2 Profile Photo
gumbo2
#12re: Finally saw the 4th of the Best Musicals...
Posted: 5/17/07 at 12:41am

What do you think does, Grey Gardens? I thought the score was the best part of SA.

RentBoy86
#13re: Finally saw the 4th of the Best Musicals...
Posted: 5/17/07 at 12:42am

Well the problem I have with Shiek's music is the same as with his score as with his own music. It's all the same. It all sounds rather slow and soft and boring. I'm not saying that all the characters need to belt out their lungs, but I don't know, the score just needs something.

munkustrap178
#14re: Finally saw the 4th of the Best Musicals...
Posted: 5/17/07 at 12:43am

His music DOES all sound the same.

And yes, GREY GARDENS is my pick.

wonderfulwizard11
#15re: Finally saw the 4th of the Best Musicals...
Posted: 5/17/07 at 12:44am

I think the show does have its high energy numbers. Totally F*ckd and The Bitch of Living are definitley high energy.

And the lyrics are why I don't want it to win Best Score.

I am a firm believer in serendipity- all the random pieces coming together in one wonderful moment, when suddenly you see what their purpose was all along.

gumbo2 Profile Photo
gumbo2
#16re: Finally saw the 4th of the Best Musicals...
Posted: 5/17/07 at 12:47am

Which lyrics do you guys not like? Now, I'm not a big fan of some of them either (My Junk, especially), but I don't think they are so bad as to prevent it from winning Best Score. I really loved Grey Gardens' music, but for me the music in Spring Awakening WAS the show, and I thought it was fresh and innovative for a musical. And to tell you the truth, I skip a handful of tracks on the Grey Gardens CD, but I can pretty much listen to SA straight through.

NathanLaneStalker
#17re: Finally saw the 4th of the Best Musicals...

I love Sheik's music for the show. I hope it wins for Best Score this year....but then again....I was a HUGE Duncan Sheik fan years before this even hit Broadway...sooo...

"I'm tellin' you, the only times I really feel the presence of God are when I'm having sex and during a great Broadway musical." - Nathan Lane - Jeffrey

FutureAladdinOnB'Way
#18re: Finally saw the 4th of the Best Musicals...

WonderfuWizard11, are you refering to " BLAH BLAH BLAH BLAH BLAH BLAH...." re: Finally saw the 4th of the Best Musicals...

munkustrap178
#19re: Finally saw the 4th of the Best Musicals...
Posted: 5/17/07 at 12:48am

The Blah's are the least of the score's problems.

jordangirl Profile Photo
jordangirl
#20re: Finally saw the 4th of the Best Musicals...
Posted: 5/17/07 at 12:48am

That was my issue. "Blah blah, blah..." What...did he use all his creative juices on the oh-so-original title of the song?

Experience live theater. Experience paintings. Experience books. Live, look and listen like artists! ~ imaginethis
LIVE THAT LESSON!!!!!!

munkustrap178
#21re: Finally saw the 4th of the Best Musicals...
Posted: 5/17/07 at 12:49am

I honestly don't understand the problem with the "blah's." Entirely appropriate and effective.

wonderfulwizard11
#22re: Finally saw the 4th of the Best Musicals...
Posted: 5/17/07 at 12:50am

Actually, I think the "blah blah blahs" really work.

It's lyrics like:

The thing that sucks-okay?-for me
A thousand bucks, I'm like scott free
And I mean, please...That's all I need
Get real Jose. By now you know the score.

that make me cringe.

munkustrap178
#23re: Finally saw the 4th of the Best Musicals...
Posted: 5/17/07 at 12:53am

Yes! Awful!

The score is much easier to enjoy when you just can't understand what they're saying - which is a lot of the time.

gumbo2 Profile Photo
gumbo2
#24re: Finally saw the 4th of the Best Musicals...
Posted: 5/17/07 at 12:53am

I actually think lyrics like that capture the messed-up world of a REALLY insecure teenager on the verge of suicide. I mean sure they are weird, but I think they are in character of this horribly depressed, angry, repressed kid. Just my opinion, but I think the lyrics work in the context of the show (sometimes they are kind of weird when listening to the CD though.)

Videos