Grease Revival

BroadwayEnthusiast2 Profile Photo
BroadwayEnthusiast2
#1Grease Revival
Posted: 5/21/07 at 4:21pm

OK, there have been how many grease revivals? and how many of them have actually been succesful. i want to see the new grease revival, but im just wondering, is it worth it? grease on broadway im sure cant and wont compare to the movie. i dont think too many new yorkers will go see this. even though im hoping that ill see grease and hairspray the same day! wouldnt that be too amazing?

"I mean, sitting side by side with another man watching Patti LuPone play Rose in GYPSY on Broadway is essentially the equivalent of having hardcore sex." -Wanna Be A Foster. "Say 'Goody.' Say 'Bubbi.'" ... "That's it. Exactly as if it were 'Goody.' Now I know you're gonna sing 'Goody' this time, but nevertheless..."

munkustrap178 Profile Photo
munkustrap178
#2re: Grease Revival
Posted: 5/21/07 at 4:25pm

ibdb.com

And yes, it would just be too amazing. (?)

"If you are going to do something, do it well. And leave something witchy." -Charlie Manson

BroadwayEnthusiast2
#2re: Grease Revival
Posted: 5/21/07 at 4:27pm

i was making a point, not asking a question as to how many have actually been sucessful. : p

"I mean, sitting side by side with another man watching Patti LuPone play Rose in GYPSY on Broadway is essentially the equivalent of having hardcore sex." -Wanna Be A Foster. "Say 'Goody.' Say 'Bubbi.'" ... "That's it. Exactly as if it were 'Goody.' Now I know you're gonna sing 'Goody' this time, but nevertheless..."

Yankeefan007
#3re: Grease Revival
Posted: 5/21/07 at 4:28pm

There's a reason why GREASE is one of the most highly regarded musicals in history.

Great substance? Certainly not. But it has a huge fanbase and audience. Any production is enormously successful - the last revival ran for what, five/six years?
Updated On: 5/21/07 at 04:28 PM

sondhead
#4re: Grease Revival
Posted: 5/21/07 at 4:28pm

OMGRZ U GUYZ!

www.ibdb.com

There's been one revival and it was super successful. I doubt this one will be.

Michael Bennett Profile Photo
Michael Bennett
#5re: Grease Revival
Posted: 5/21/07 at 4:29pm

There has only been one revival of GREASE on Broadway. It made a **** load of money.

BroadwayEnthusiast2
#6re: Grease Revival
Posted: 5/21/07 at 4:31pm

let me rephrase that. how many have actually been good?
and i THINK there has been more than one revival....

munkustrap178
#7re: Grease Revival
Posted: 5/21/07 at 4:33pm

There has only been one revival.

"If you are going to do something, do it well. And leave something witchy." -Charlie Manson

BroadwayEnthusiast2
#8re: Grease Revival
Posted: 5/21/07 at 4:34pm

oy, ok, so maybe there are just a bunch of CD's. but i still dont think this one will be very sucessful.

munkustrap178
#9re: Grease Revival
Posted: 5/21/07 at 4:36pm

There aren't that many CDs.

-Grease OBC
-Grease Soundtrack
-Grease Revival Cast
-Grease w/ Brooke Shields
-Grease w/ John Barrowman

Yankeefan007
#10re: Grease Revival
Posted: 5/21/07 at 4:37pm

This version's advertising, what, a $10 mil + advance? Sounds somewhat successful to me.

#11re: Grease Revival
Posted: 5/21/07 at 4:39pm

There have been two Broadway productions. The original ran for 8 years (after successful off-broadway incarnations) and the revival ran for 4 and toured quite successfully. It has also been extrememly profitable in stock, community and college productions. The film was one of the most profitable films of all time and spun off a multi-million selling soundtrack. So why not do it again? Especially with a TV tie in?

What's the problem?

Kringas
#12re: Grease Revival
Posted: 5/21/07 at 4:40pm

You know what I think are amazing? Apostrophes.

"How do you like THAT 'misanthropic panache,' Mr. Goldstone?" - PalJoey

wonderfulwizard11 Profile Photo
wonderfulwizard11
#13re: Grease Revival
Posted: 5/21/07 at 4:46pm

I think the Caps Button is more amazing, Kringas.

I am a firm believer in serendipity- all the random pieces coming together in one wonderful moment, when suddenly you see what their purpose was all along.

lildogs Profile Photo
lildogs
#14re: Grease Revival
Posted: 5/21/07 at 4:50pm

Hey, I did the tour for two years and I was always amazed about how many people came to see the show--we sold out the Kodak in LA with a non-Eq cast for God's sake--of course, we had Frankie...maybe he put us over the top...not that I ever need help going over the top (wow, that works on alot of levels)

Mister Matt Profile Photo
Mister Matt
#15re: Grease Revival
Posted: 5/21/07 at 5:06pm

Grease has alway been a guaranteed moneymaker whether it is a local high school production, community theatre, regional, tour, Broadway, domestic or international. As it was said before, both Broadway production were highly successful and there is no reason to think this new revival will be unnsuccessful. And considering Marshall's track record, there is also no reason to believe it will be of poor quality. I'm hoping to see it this summer.

"What can you expect from a bunch of seitan worshippers?" - Reginald Tresilian

DrTheatre Profile Photo
DrTheatre
#16re: Grease Revival
Posted: 5/21/07 at 6:32pm

There are many CD' of GREASE.....many have been made of the show...I have about 25 recordings of GREASE...

"In the U.S.A. You can have your say, You can set you goals And seize the day, You've been given the freedom To work your way To the head of the line- To the head of the line!" ---Stephen Sondheim

DrTheatre Profile Photo
DrTheatre
#17re: Grease Revival
Posted: 5/21/07 at 6:32pm

There are many CD' of GREASE.....many have been made of the show...I have about 25 recordings of GREASE...

"In the U.S.A. You can have your say, You can set you goals And seize the day, You've been given the freedom To work your way To the head of the line- To the head of the line!" ---Stephen Sondheim

notyourself
#18re: Grease Revival
Posted: 5/21/07 at 7:00pm

Why on earth would anyone need that many versions? It's not that great of a show.

munkustrap178
#19re: Grease Revival
Posted: 5/21/07 at 7:01pm

As part of a collection?

As tools for reference?

Perhaps they love the score?

WickedToronto Profile Photo
WickedToronto
#20re: Grease Revival
Posted: 5/23/07 at 12:09am

why Grease and not West Side Story

blaxx Profile Photo
blaxx
#21re: Grease Revival
Posted: 5/23/07 at 2:25am

What a bizarre question, it's not like they were exploring options.

Listen, I don't take my clothes off for anyone, even if it is "artistic". - JANICE

StuckToTheStage Profile Photo
StuckToTheStage
#22re: Grease Revival
Posted: 5/23/07 at 2:34am

WickedToronto...I COMPLETELY Agree with you! Grease is just getting boring now...West Side Story is timeless!

"Maybe you could teach me how to LuPwn? No, that seems like something only a bitter delusional queen could enjoy." -JoeKv99 on the remarks of TooDarnHot

StuckToTheStage Profile Photo
StuckToTheStage
#23re: Grease Revival
Posted: 5/23/07 at 2:34am

Double Post...Sorry everyone.

"Maybe you could teach me how to LuPwn? No, that seems like something only a bitter delusional queen could enjoy." -JoeKv99 on the remarks of TooDarnHot
Updated On: 5/23/07 at 02:34 AM

blaxx Profile Photo
blaxx
#24re: Grease Revival
Posted: 5/23/07 at 2:45am

Yes, because TV viewers would much like to choose Tony and Maria on a reality show, than Sandy and Danny (I can just imagine the show being cancelled after the first episode). Posts like that just make me appreciate producers so much more.

Listen, I don't take my clothes off for anyone, even if it is "artistic". - JANICE

Videos