NY TIMES- Critics' Picks

being.jeremiah
#1NY TIMES- Critics' Picks
Posted: 6/3/07 at 2:27am

NY TIMES- Critics' Picks

Brantley, Isherwood, and Bellafante name their "will win," "should win," and "should have been nominated" in major categories.

They all agree that Raúl Esparza, Christine Ebersole, and Jack O'Brien "will win" and "should win" in their respective categories.

They say that Spring Awakening and The Coast of Utopia "will win" in the two top bests.

being.jeremiah
#2re: NY TIMES- Critics' Picks
Posted: 6/3/07 at 2:31am

I didn't know that posting the image link displays the image itself!

StageManager2 Profile Photo
StageManager2
#2re: NY TIMES- Critics' Picks
Posted: 6/3/07 at 2:56am

You live and learn.

Salve, Regina, Mater misericordiae
Vita, dulcedo, et spes nostra
Salve, Salve Regina
Ad te clamamus exsules filii Eva
Ad te suspiramus, gementes et flentes
O clemens O pia
Updated On: 6/3/07 at 02:56 AM

Raviolisun Profile Photo
Raviolisun
#3re: NY TIMES- Critics' Picks
Posted: 6/3/07 at 3:14am

I surprisingly agreed with Brantley quite a bit.

One time, Patti LuPone punched me in the face...

It was awesome.
- theaterkid1015

nomdeplume
#4re: NY TIMES- Critics' Picks
Posted: 6/3/07 at 3:21am

And they have the contest as between Julie and Eve for best actress.

winston89 Profile Photo
winston89
#5re: NY TIMES- Critics' Picks
Posted: 6/3/07 at 3:25am

I am suprised that they went into off broadway shows for some of their picks. Espically from Brantly, I thought he would knoow by know that an off broadway show cannot win the Tony.

"If you try to shag my husband while I am still alive, I will shove the art of motorcycle maintenance up your rancid little Cu**. That's a good dear" Tom Stoppard's Rock N Roll

TapTapTapioca
#6re: NY TIMES- Critics' Picks
Posted: 6/3/07 at 3:31am

He does know that, but he is saying that they gave Tony nomination deserving performances.

I shave me Xanadu every morning!

ray-andallthatjazz86 Profile Photo
ray-andallthatjazz86
#7re: NY TIMES- Critics' Picks
Posted: 6/3/07 at 3:36am

Winston, there's a legend at the bottom of the article that specifies that the critics were allowed to pick Off-Broadway shows for their "Should Have Been Nominated" category for shows they thought should've gotten a nod. After all, Lotte Lenya won her Tony for an off-Broadway show.

"Some people can thrive and bloom living life in a living room, that's perfect for some people of one hundred and five. But I at least gotta try, when I think of all the sights that I gotta see, all the places I gotta play, all the things that I gotta be at"

bjh2114 Profile Photo
bjh2114
#8re: NY TIMES- Critics' Picks
Posted: 6/3/07 at 8:28am

I match Bellafante's "will win" picks 100%, and appreciate that there was a Grey Gardens "should win" pick there. It's funny to see that the two categories they didn't all agree on for the "will win" were Best Actress in a Play and Best Revival of a Musical. These are 2 of the 4 categories that I keep flip flopping on, but I am pretty set on Julie White and 110 in the Shade right now.

Trish2
#9re: NY TIMES- Critics' Picks
Posted: 6/3/07 at 8:32am

Interesting that two of them brought up IN THE HEIGHTS. I bet the producers of that show are even happier about their decision to bring it in next year. I still don't see it making it though.

WickedGeek28 Profile Photo
WickedGeek28
#10re: NY TIMES- Critics' Picks
Posted: 6/3/07 at 8:33am

SURPRISE, SURPRISE!

Brantley is rooting for Chenoweth - again!

"[She's] even Ben Brantley's pet . . . "

"You never really understand a person until you consider things from his point of view - until you climb into his skin and walk around in it."
To Kill A Mockingbird
Updated On: 6/3/07 at 08:33 AM

bjh2114 Profile Photo
bjh2114
#11re: NY TIMES- Critics' Picks
Posted: 6/3/07 at 8:36am

"and she's got a set of pipes to rival Barbara Cook. [She's] the star who wrote the "I'm Loved And I'm Famous" book!"

re: NY TIMES- Critics' Picks

Dirty_Rotten_Guy Profile Photo
Dirty_Rotten_Guy
#12re: NY TIMES- Critics' Picks
Posted: 6/3/07 at 9:03am

I'm also very glad Bellafante brought up how GREY GARDENS should win, because it should.

And I'm also interested in the Best vs. White race for Leading Actress in a Play. It seems very divided, but at least from their predictions, it seems like Eve Best might win over Julie White.

My 2007/2008 Season: Grey Gardens (7/5) 110 in the Shade (7/6) Mary Poppins (7/7) Xanadu (7/7) Deuce (7/8) Spamalot (7/8) Jersey Boys (8/25) The Year of Magical Thinking (8/25) Mauritius (11/2) Young Frankenstein (11/3) Rock 'N' Roll (11/3) Pygmalion (11/4) Mauritius (11/10) Mauritius (11/21) Mauritius (11/21) Sunday in the Park with George (3/6) South Pacific (3/7) Gypsy (3/8) Cat on a Hot Tin Roof (3/9)

wickedfan Profile Photo
wickedfan
#13re: NY TIMES- Critics' Picks
Posted: 6/3/07 at 9:15am

WickedGeek-Note ray's post.

"Sing the words, Patti!!!!" Stephen Sondheim to Patti LuPone.

Videos