pixeltracker

Spring Awakenings - Am I Missing Something?- Page 3

Spring Awakenings - Am I Missing Something?

uncageg Profile Photo
uncageg
#50re: Spring Awakening - Am I Missing Something?
Posted: 6/13/07 at 8:43pm

Saw the show Off-Broadway last June. I wanted to see it because I just had a feeling that if I didn't I would kick myself. I thought it might be a big hit Off-Broadway not even thinking it would go to Broadway. I attended the final preview. There was A LOT of energy at the theatre. I spoke with Mr. Sater at intermission and he told me they had just found out that they were moving after the run at the Atlantic but they didn't know where. I also spoke very briefly with Mr. Sheik who seemed to be very excited. (Plus I had to tel him how much I enjoyed his music for the soundtrack to "A Home at the End of the World". I knew I was seeing a show that was going to be big in some way. I enjoyed the show very much. I think what is causing all of the buzz is that it is fresh and different. My best friend was with me and after the show we both agreed that the show would not be everyone's 'cup of tea" and I think that is evident here. Are there shows that I didn't care for? Yes. But I have never hated a show. If there is a show that I don't think I will like, I just don't go to see it. Avenue Q is an example of that. But who knows, I mat see it at some point. I will admit another reason for not seeing it is that I didn't care for their campaign tactics to win the Tony for Best Musical. I didn't want to see Altar Boyz based on the cast recording. For a year my friend in NY tried to get me to go and I finally gave in last June only because my best friend was on vacation with me and I didn't want to be a killjoy. I loved the show and was sorry that I didn't see it when I first had the chance. And that's why I love theatre. Sometimes you are pleasantly surprised or even awed (As I was with Caroline or Change and Le Miz). Sometimes you are not. But it is live and for me there is alway a feeling of excitement when I walk into any theatre. And even if I walk out not totally impressed (Stagedoor Charlie and Dr. Dolittle to name a few) I am still happy that I spent the evening or afternoon seeing a live show. Just my random thoughts.

And now, thanks to jhonaker, I feel the need to pop "Into the Woods" into my dvd player!

Just give the world Love.

Mealz1042 Profile Photo
Mealz1042
#51re: Spring Awakening - Am I Missing Something?
Posted: 6/13/07 at 8:47pm

"Let people see that they don't have to settle for a revival, an original show which might as well be a revival (Curtains/ Chaperone), or a movie-turned-musical"

well it still is a musical based on a play. Not saying that's bad but where are all the TRUE original plays? Yet another reason I'm happy that In The Heights is making its way to broadway. talk about raw.

<-- Gwen Stewart, SOLoist at the last show of RENT
Cages or wings? Which do you prefer? Ask the birds. Fear or love, baby? Don't say the answer Actions speak louder than words. (Tick, Tick... BOOM!)

jrseygirl
#52re: Spring Awakening - Am I Missing Something?
Posted: 6/14/07 at 11:21am

As the originator of this thread, I wanted to reply. First off, so sorry for the 's' at the end of the title. People make errors and it's sad to know there are some out there who feel the need to point them out. Second, sorry that there have been several threads on this topic before. If you note on my profile, I just joined this site a few days ago and clearly didn't read every thread on this site. Not everyone is on a site all the time to know what's been posted before. I would think if you've had enough of a topic, you wouldn't bother replying.

This will be my first and last post on here. I came to ask a question and was surprised at some abusive answers. Enjoy yourselves...

shiksa_goddess Profile Photo
shiksa_goddess
#53re: Spring Awakening - Am I Missing Something?
Posted: 6/14/07 at 12:36pm

I don't really care if people hate the show. I saw it, it was okay, but I'm not obsessed with it. BUT, can we PLEASE stop calling it "Spring Awakenings." Get the title right, people. That is not just directed to the OP who has already realized the title. But, if you are gonna hate something get the title right.

popular_elphie Profile Photo
popular_elphie
#54re: Spring Awakening - Am I Missing Something?
Posted: 6/14/07 at 1:52pm

There are too many 's's in this title. I keep reading it as "Springs Awakening - Am I Missings Somethings?"

It's not everyone's idea of a good time, but I love the music, even though I don't think much of the character development or some of the acting of those involved (loved Gallagher, though). But calling it things like a "toilet show" (that's just sad) is not going to get you anywhere.

It's just "cool" to hate SPRING AWAKENING now. I have a friend who's seen it about ten times, and then was disgusted when they the Best Musical Tony. What? Yes, the fangirls are nauseating, but if you're going to like a show, like it without anyone telling you what's right and what isn't. It makes me crazy.

lucydee Profile Photo
lucydee
#55re: Spring Awakening - Am I Missing Something?
Posted: 6/14/07 at 4:14pm

jrseygirl,
So sorry you had a bad experience on this site and you say this is the last time you will post anything. I too have been corrected on the spelling when I occasionally spell a word wrong or someones name had a extra vowel in the spelling. But you know what, I don't let that stop me from reading the postings or even ask questions here. I have found this site very helpful If I wanted information about a show or a new cast coming in etc...
I am a Broadway Lover and continue to support the Broadway community. I have been invited to events and have enjoyed my experience here and have met some really kind and good people. I have also ran into some crude and rude people here as well. But the message is don't let anybody or anything ruin your happiness or stop you from communicating with people who share the same love for Broadway as you do. Thats what I have learned. Yes, some people have nothing better to do than to correct spelling rather than just move on to the next posting. But you have a life, and they don't. So don't let that stop you from posting.
Now About Spring Awakening: I too did not fall in love with the show as others did. It just was not my cup of tea. However, I do like Duncan's music so I enjoyed the music but would not go and see the show again. I do believe that this show is bringing back younger people to Broadway and I think that was one of the reasons why it did so well. But hey, my feeling is you see it once if you don't like it, you just see another show or one that you really like again and again. Like I do with Jersey Boys. I could see Jersey Boys again again and again. There are some people out there that do not like Jersey Boys and probally say the same thing that we say about Spring Awakening.
Bottom Line Jrseygirl, keep posting and don't let other negative remarks or people stop you. Life is too short to be mad. re: Spring Awakening - Am I Missing Something? Keep Smiling!
re: Spring Awakening - Am I Missing Something?

Feel the Love - Les Mis
Updated On: 6/14/07 at 04:14 PM

Mealz1042 Profile Photo
Mealz1042
#56re: Spring Awakening - Am I Missing Something?
Posted: 6/14/07 at 10:41pm

i don't think there's anything wrong with people correcting a mistake, no one's attacking you but it should be correct, and if you were reffering to my point in saying "maybe you don't pay attention to detail since you didnt get the title right" that was a joke. No one's mean, there are a few elitists, sure, but theres also a lot of sarcasm. You'll find that on any internet forum.

And honestly, don't get too worked up, why should you care if some random stranger on the internet said something remotely offensive? take these things lightly. I'm sorry if you were turned away by the site, but it really is a great forum, it just helps to browse a little and you'll begin to appreciate the sarcastic comments and not take offense to them.

and sorry if i hurt you in any way, that wasnt my intention.

<-- Gwen Stewart, SOLoist at the last show of RENT
Cages or wings? Which do you prefer? Ask the birds. Fear or love, baby? Don't say the answer Actions speak louder than words. (Tick, Tick... BOOM!)

Becoz_i_knew_you21 Profile Photo
Becoz_i_knew_you21
#57re: Spring Awakening - Am I Missing Something?
Posted: 6/14/07 at 10:53pm

Must people make a topic every time they didn't like something other people did?