WALMARTOPIA Off-Broadway

LimelightMike Profile Photo
LimelightMike
#1WALMARTOPIA Off-Broadway
Posted: 6/27/07 at 3:16pm

Walmartopia Musical Headed for Off-Broadway

Walmartopia The Musical!, which had its New York debut at the 2006 New York International Fringe Festival, is headed to the Minetta Lane Theatre for a commercial run. The irreverent new musical political satire will begin previews on August 21 and open on Labor Day (September 3), directed by Daniel Goldstein. Casting will be announced shortly.

Walmartopia features a book by Catherine Capellaro and music and lyrics by Andrew Rohn. The plot centers on Vicki Latrell, a single mom and Wal-Mart employee who speaks out against her company's working conditions and finds herself and her young daughter jettisoned to 2036, into a future where Wal-Mart dominates the entire world.

The show's production material notes that 100 million Americans shop every week at Wal-Mart, which ranks as the nation's, and the world's, largest employer with 1.6 million "associates" (as the company refers to its employees). The musical features the singing head of Wal-Mart founder Sam Walton.

The Walmartopia creative team includes Wendy Seyb (choreography), David Korins (sets), Miranda Hoffman (costumes), Ben Stanton (lights), and is produced by Leading Light, LLC and Outside the Big Box Productions, LLC.

Updated On: 6/27/07 at 03:16 PM

Born To Reign Profile Photo
Born To Reign
#2re: WALMARTOPIA Off-Broadway
Posted: 6/27/07 at 3:19pm

This looked interesting. Anyone see it? Is the music any good? I love fun, surreal musicals.

It's just a message board. Let's not take it too seriously.

dancingthrulife04 Profile Photo
dancingthrulife04
#2re: WALMARTOPIA Off-Broadway
Posted: 6/27/07 at 5:08pm

I ushered at this show last summer. Worst thing I have ever seen. They took something that had the potential to be good and made it look stupid.

http://www.beintheheights.com/katnicole1 (Please click and help me win!) I chose, and my world was shaken- So what?
The choice may have been mistaken, The choosing was not...
"Every day has the potential to be the greatest day of your life." - Lin-Manuel Miranda
"And when Idina Menzel is singing, I'm always slightly worried that her teeth are going to jump out of her mouth and chase me." - Schmerg_the_Impaler
Updated On: 6/27/07 at 05:08 PM

Born To Reign Profile Photo
Born To Reign
#3re: WALMARTOPIA Off-Broadway
Posted: 6/27/07 at 5:10pm

That's not good to hear. All too uncommon, though, unfortunately.

It's just a message board. Let's not take it too seriously.

#4re: WALMARTOPIA Off-Broadway
Posted: 6/27/07 at 5:43pm

We saw it last August at the Henry Street Settlement, and while I wouldn't say it should have won a Pulitzer for its incisive treatment of wage slaves and labor unions, it was a fun, silly and entertaining musical -- and very kid-safe. Ironically, it was right around the time Wal-Mart was trying to slip a store into Queens, so many of the plot points were in the news.

TulitaPepsi Profile Photo
TulitaPepsi
#5re: WALMARTOPIA Off-Broadway
Posted: 6/27/07 at 8:15pm

I agree, DancingThruLife. I saw it too - What a great idea, but weakly executed. A forgettable score. And a REALLY stupid wrap-up that made no sense at all.

"Hurry up and get into your conga clothes - we've got to do something to save this show!"

Elphie4ever Profile Photo
Elphie4ever
#6re: WALMARTOPIA Off-Broadway
Posted: 6/27/07 at 8:40pm

it sounds interesting...
after watching walmart the high cost of low prices i don't shop at walmart anymore

RentBoy86
#7re: WALMARTOPIA Off-Broadway
Posted: 6/27/07 at 8:43pm

Well, I'm guesing it probably has changed a lot since the Fringe, so we'll see. I'm intrigued.

glancingforward
#8re: WALMARTOPIA Off-Broadway
Posted: 7/10/07 at 8:36pm

it was ill conceived last summer when i saw it. it was boring i thought it would never end. i doubt it could be fixed. i cant believe somone actually is putting money into this.

Wanna Be A Foster Profile Photo
Wanna Be A Foster
#9re: WALMARTOPIA Off-Broadway
Posted: 8/27/07 at 2:29pm

Has anybody seen this yet at the Minetta Lane?

"Winning a Tony this year is like winning Best Attendance in third grade: no one will care but the winner and their mom."
-Kad

"I have also met him in person, and I find him to be quite funny actually. Arrogant and often misinformed, but still funny."
-bjh2114 (on Michael Riedel)

winston89 Profile Photo
winston89
#10re: WALMARTOPIA Off-Broadway
Posted: 8/27/07 at 4:03pm

I too wonder if anyone has seen it at the Minetta Lane. I would be suprised if they didn't make some changes from their time at the fringe. They have had a little over a year to do so. I think that if the creative team knew that their show was headed for a noff broadway comerical run then the wyould make some changes here and there. Or at least look at the fringe run as an out of town try outs of sorts.

"If you try to shag my husband while I am still alive, I will shove the art of motorcycle maintenance up your rancid little Cu**. That's a good dear" Tom Stoppard's Rock N Roll

stevenycguy
#11re: WALMARTOPIA Off-Broadway
Posted: 8/27/07 at 7:38pm

I can't speak for the Fringe production last year, but I found the Minetta Lane version to be very polished; practically everyone starred in various Broadway productions before. A lot of fun to watch and the audience seemed to like it quite a bit too. Campy fun.

LuPonatic Profile Photo
LuPonatic
#12re: WALMARTOPIA Off-Broadway
Posted: 8/27/07 at 8:06pm

I don't care if it's good or bad, those advertisements on BWW that keep me from using my back button make me HATE this show!

Wanna Be A Foster
#13re: WALMARTOPIA Off-Broadway
Posted: 8/27/07 at 8:24pm

How is it the ads that are making the back button not function?

"Winning a Tony this year is like winning Best Attendance in third grade: no one will care but the winner and their mom."
-Kad

"I have also met him in person, and I find him to be quite funny actually. Arrogant and often misinformed, but still funny."

Wanna Be A Foster
#14re: WALMARTOPIA Off-Broadway
Posted: 8/28/07 at 8:06pm

I just got a ticket for Saturday night to see WALMARTOPIA. I'll report back afterward.

-Kad

bially082 Profile Photo
bially082
#15re: WALMARTOPIA Off-Broadway
Posted: 10/12/07 at 5:06pm

One of my former co-workers just got hired to replace the guy that died re: WALMARTOPIA Off-Broadway

You are young, life has been kind to you. You will learn.

nymommy
#16re: WALMARTOPIA Off-Broadway
Posted: 10/13/07 at 2:28pm

Saw it this past week, and I was glad we got free tickets, or I would have been demanding a refund. Bad Bad Bad, B-O-R-I-N-G!!! I kept praying for the 1st Act to end. The second act was better, but that doesn't say much. The ending was random and I felt like the writers didn't know how to get out this morass, so they just gave it a happy ending. Some songs had great potential and the woman who plays the lead has an amazing voice. The guy who plays Lawernce was very funny. What a waste of money and talent. At least these actors have a job. A JOB!

Videos