pixeltracker

Who didn't think Hairspray was *that* great?

Who didn't think Hairspray was *that* great?

wonderfulwizard11 Profile Photo
wonderfulwizard11
#1Who didn't think Hairspray was *that* great?
Posted: 7/23/07 at 2:18am

I saw the film tonight, and wasn't that impressed considering the raves it got. I enjoyed it, don't get me wrong, but it just wasn't as AMAZING as the reviews would indicate.

Anyone else feel this way?

I am a firm believer in serendipity- all the random pieces coming together in one wonderful moment, when suddenly you see what their purpose was all along.

emo_geek Profile Photo
emo_geek
#2re: Who didn't think Hairspray was *that* great?
Posted: 7/23/07 at 2:18am

You...and Rosie.

"I never had theatre producers run after me. Some people want to make more Broadway shows out of movies. But Elliot and I aren't going to do Batman: The Musical." - Julie Taymor 1999

ray-andallthatjazz86 Profile Photo
ray-andallthatjazz86
#2re: Who didn't think Hairspray was *that* great?
Posted: 7/23/07 at 2:20am

Wiz, Rosie, and me.

"Some people can thrive and bloom living life in a living room, that's perfect for some people of one hundred and five. But I at least gotta try, when I think of all the sights that I gotta see, all the places I gotta play, all the things that I gotta be at"

jimnysf
#3re: Who didn't think Hairspray was *that* great?
Posted: 7/23/07 at 2:27am

Well, you are all wrong. It was excellent!

"I've lost everything! Luis, Marty, my baby with Chris, Chris himself, James. All I ever wanted was love." --Sheridan Crane "Passions" ------- "Housework is like bad sex. Every time I do it, I swear I'll never do it again til the next time company comes."--"Lulu" from "Can't Stop The Music" ----- "When the right doors didn't open for him, he went through the wrong ones" - "Sweet Bird of Youth" ------------ --------- "Passions" is uncancelled! See NBC.com for more info.

muscle23ftl Profile Photo
muscle23ftl
#4re: Who didn't think Hairspray was *that* great?
Posted: 7/23/07 at 2:29am

Im with jimnysf

"People have their opinions and that doesn't mean that their opinions are wrong or right. I just take it with a grain of salt because opinions are like as*holes, everyone has one". -Felicia Finley-

ray-andallthatjazz86
#5re: Who didn't think Hairspray was *that* great?
Posted: 7/23/07 at 2:30am

I'm with Wiz and Rosie which just trumps just about anyone else re: Who didn't think Hairspray was *that* great?

"Some people can thrive and bloom living life in a living room, that's perfect for some people of one hundred and five. But I at least gotta try, when I think of all the sights that I gotta see, all the places I gotta play, all the things that I gotta be at"

jimnysf
#6re: Who didn't think Hairspray was *that* great?
Posted: 7/23/07 at 2:34am

Rosie, who?

"I've lost everything! Luis, Marty, my baby with Chris, Chris himself, James. All I ever wanted was love." --Sheridan Crane "Passions" ------- "Housework is like bad sex. Every time I do it, I swear I'll never do it again til the next time company comes."--"Lulu" from "Can't Stop The Music" ----- "When the right doors didn't open for him, he went through the wrong ones" - "Sweet Bird of Youth" ------------ --------- "Passions" is uncancelled! See NBC.com for more info.

C is for Company
#7re: Who didn't think Hairspray was *that* great?
Posted: 7/23/07 at 2:34am

I still don't understand the point to the whole "You're wrong" in cases such as this or even to Lupone in Gypsy. I can understand it being funny pending on the delivery or context, but what is up with the God complex seen all across this board.

Take criticism in stride, it's okay to discuss and debate, but my how it sucks to see people taking the one way road on all this so frequently.

I respect Marc's work and infact do like it, but I have a funny sense that the complaints against this film are being stifled for a few reasons.

DrTheatre Profile Photo
DrTheatre
#8re: Who didn't think Hairspray was *that* great?
Posted: 7/23/07 at 2:36am

People who say that the movie is not great...are people are most likely thinking that the movie is going to pop right of the screen and make them dance in the theater...well it is not...what makes this movie sooooooooo greeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeaaaaaaaattttttttt is the fact, we have not seen a movie like this in a long time. We have not seen the old fashion break-into-song musical and this one really works...what also makes it great is the location settings...it really does make you feel like you were there....

"In the U.S.A. You can have your say, You can set you goals And seize the day, You've been given the freedom To work your way To the head of the line- To the head of the line!" ---Stephen Sondheim

jimnysf
#9re: Who didn't think Hairspray was *that* great?
Posted: 7/23/07 at 2:40am

but I have a funny sense that the complaints against this film are being stifled for a few reasons.

Oh, goodie. A conspiracy theorist. Just like back in the sixties.

I enjoyed the show and the film, even though I am still pissed at New Line and never heard a word back from them about the screening fiasco last Monday. I've still given them my money.

ray-andallthatjazz86
#10re: Who didn't think Hairspray was *that* great?
Posted: 7/23/07 at 2:41am

C is for Company, I could not have said it better myself. Why can't we all be more like C? re: Who didn't think Hairspray was *that* great?

wonderfulwizard11
#11re: Who didn't think Hairspray was *that* great?
Posted: 7/23/07 at 2:42am

"Oh, goodie. A conspiracy theorist. Just like back in the sixties."

Well, considering a thread about who you were least looking forward to seeing in Hairspray was deleted...

And Dr Theatre, according to the reviews from critics and people here, I expected that type of reaction, and I didn't have that.

I am a firm believer in serendipity- all the random pieces coming together in one wonderful moment, when suddenly you see what their purpose was all along.

bythesword84 Profile Photo
bythesword84
#12re: Who didn't think Hairspray was *that* great?
Posted: 7/23/07 at 2:46am

While I haven't seen the movie, and probably won't as I'm not a Hairspray fan (or even someone who likes it) generally speaking when something gets raves or a ton of hype, when you see it it feels like it falls short of perfection. That's just because you hype it up to yourself since everyone is saying its so great. For that reason I usually choose not to read reviews of plays or movies or books etc that I plan on seeing/reading because once the hype begins its always harder to love it because your expectations become too high.

And hang on, when did you win the discus?

DrTheatre Profile Photo
DrTheatre
#13re: Who didn't think Hairspray was *that* great?

totally respect that Wonderfulwizard.... I enjoyed it very much for the 9th time tonight...

"In the U.S.A. You can have your say, You can set you goals And seize the day, You've been given the freedom To work your way To the head of the line- To the head of the line!" ---Stephen Sondheim

DrTheatre Profile Photo
DrTheatre
#14re: Who didn't think Hairspray was *that* great?

totally respect that Wonderfulwizard.... I enjoyed it very much for the 9th time tonight...

C is for Company
#15re: Who didn't think Hairspray was *that* great?
Posted: 7/23/07 at 2:47am

jimnysf, instead of bantering about your money issues, couldn't you just go back to bashing Lestat? At least that would bring back some memories. Or Fantasia bitching! That was pretty novel as well.

jimnysf
#16re: Who didn't think Hairspray was *that* great?
Posted: 7/23/07 at 2:50am

Poor C. You probably loved "Lestat" and you didn't like "Hairspray". That says all I need to know.

wonderfulwizard11
#17re: Who didn't think Hairspray was *that* great?
Posted: 7/23/07 at 2:51am

^ Uh huh. Sure. So if someone liked Lestat and didn't like Hairspray, then their opinion is discredited. Got ya.

C is for Company
#18re: Who didn't think Hairspray was *that* great?
Posted: 7/23/07 at 2:52am

Oh no actually, I'm seeing Hairspray on Tuesday. And guess what? I don't have to pay! But getting back to the issue, my thoughts on this whole Hairspray-gate stem from being fair with opinions and not mis-representing the truth.

As for Lestat, well I can't say I clamored for a recording, but I find enjoyment in anything that I have to pay money to see!

jimnysf
#19re: Who didn't think Hairspray was *that* great?
Posted: 7/23/07 at 2:55am

So if someone liked Lestat and didn't like Hairspray, then their opinion is discredited.

You are clearly in the minority if that statement applies to you. "Lestat" was awful and the reviews from SF and NY, as well as the short run, agreed with that. "Hairspray" is wonderful.

C is for Company
#20re: Who didn't think Hairspray was *that* great?
Posted: 7/23/07 at 2:56am

I forgot. Was the rule that if you are in the minority, then your opinion doesn't count or should just be- stifled?! What a concept.

wonderfulwizard11
#21re: Who didn't think Hairspray was *that* great?
Posted: 7/23/07 at 2:56am

I never said I liked Lestat, I never even heard anything from it, not a bit of promo footage, nothing. I don't know where you got THAT from.

Regardless, this is not about Lestat, so back on topic please.

RentBoy86
#22re: Who didn't think Hairspray was *that* great?
Posted: 7/23/07 at 2:57am

I understand it's an old-fashioned movie-musical, but you can't really plan its predecessors for not being the same type of thing because they aren't like that. RENT isn't going to break-out into song and dance (though it has its moments). Phantoms is going to have extended dance breaks, same with DREAMGIRLS. They're not that kind of musical. They were played serious, whereas Hairspray is more camp, which lends itself to this kind of movie. I enjoyed it for what it was, but some of the parts I didn't really care for. When Travolta sang it just felt awkward. His voice was too low and it was hard to understand what he was saying.

StageManager2 Profile Photo
StageManager2
#23re: Who didn't think Hairspray was *that* great?
Posted: 7/23/07 at 2:58am

I hated this film! Hated it. Just hated it. Did I mention how much I hated this film?

Salve, Regina, Mater misericordiae
Vita, dulcedo, et spes nostra
Salve, Salve Regina
Ad te clamamus exsules filii Eva
Ad te suspiramus, gementes et flentes
O clemens O pia

ray-andallthatjazz86
#24re: Who didn't think Hairspray was *that* great?
Posted: 7/23/07 at 2:58am

Well, duh, C! Of course if you're in the minority your opinion doesn't count...that's the world according to Jimnysf. You should know better than to defy his rules. *Eye roll*