pixeltracker

Azaria and Simpson to Star in Sorkin's "Farnsworth Invention" at Music Box

Azaria and Simpson to Star in Sorkin's "Farnsworth Invention" at Music Box

Yankeefan007
#1Azaria and Simpson to Star in Sorkin's "Farnsworth Invention" at Music Box
Posted: 7/25/07 at 6:09pm

"Tony Award-nominee Hank Azaria stars as David Sarnoff, and Jimmi Simpson as Philo T. Farnsworth in Aaron Sorkin's new American play about the advent of television, The Farnsworth Invention, directed by two-time Tony Award winner Des McAnuff, opening on Broadway at the Music Box Theatre on Wednesday, November 14, 2007 with previews beginning on Monday, October 15, 2007."

https://www.broadwayworld.com/viewcolumn.cfm?colid=20240

TapTapTapioca
#2re: Azaria and Simpson to Star in Sorkin's 'Farnsworth Invention' at Music
Posted: 7/25/07 at 6:21pm

HANK AZARIA?!

Stephen Lang was PERFECT at David Sarnoff. That really pisses me off.

David Sarnoff is such a great role and I am going to say that unless Hank Azaria is TERRIBLE that role will get a nomination. It doesn't matter who the actor playing it is.

I wonder why Stephen Lang isn't doing it in New York. He was so fantastic.

Edit: The reason that they have almost a month of previews is because they had to change the opening night date. Originally Opening Night was going to be on 6th of November but had to be changed because of Cry Baby opening at the La Jolla Playhouse.

I shave me Xanadu every morning!
Updated On: 7/25/07 at 06:21 PM

RentBoy86
#2re: Azaria and Simpson to Star in Sorkin's 'Farnsworth Invention' at Music
Posted: 7/25/07 at 6:24pm

I'm interested to see how this pans out. It doesn't sound like the most compelling of storylines, but we'll see I guess.

TapTapTapioca
#3re: Azaria and Simpson to Star in Sorkin's 'Farnsworth Invention' at Music
Posted: 7/25/07 at 6:26pm

Rentboy- That is what I thought when I bought my tickets. This play is wonderfully written it keeps moving and there is never a dull moment. This is by far Des's best direction in recent years.

dented146 Profile Photo
dented146
#4re: Azaria and Simpson to Star in Sorkin's 'Farnsworth Invention' at Music
Posted: 7/25/07 at 7:04pm

I thought the storyline was plenty compelling and I agree that Lang was fabulous as Sarnoff. His was the standout performance of the production. Azaria is one of my favorite actors but I have trouble seeing him being a big enough p...k. for the role.

On the other hand, I was a little disappointed with the writing. I was expecting more of Sorkin's sticatto dialogue and I felt the historical explanations slowed the pace.

I'd bet, however, that the Broadway production will be tighter.

retrogirl44 Profile Photo
retrogirl44
#5re: Azaria and Simpson to Star in Sorkin's 'Farnsworth Invention' at Music
Posted: 7/25/07 at 7:33pm

I read this post's title, and thought: Wow, I didn't know OJ Simpson was gonna be in a Bway play !?!?! Now, THAT would sell tix, !! (Lol)

TapTapTapioca
#6re: Azaria and Simpson to Star in Sorkin's 'Farnsworth Invention' at Music
Posted: 7/25/07 at 9:06pm

I think that Azaria resembles Simpson to much in size and body type. I think it worked best when Sarnoff is a bigger intimidating person. And Sarnoff is the lead in this production since he also narrates the show.

everythingtaboo Profile Photo
everythingtaboo
#7re: Azaria and Simpson to Star in Sorkin's 'Farnsworth Invention' at Music
Posted: 7/25/07 at 10:40pm

I totally thought the subject read Ashford and Simpson!

re: Azaria and Simpson to Star in Sorkin's 'Farnsworth Invention' at Music

"Hey little girls, look at all the men in shiny shirts and no wives!" - Jackie Hoffman, Xanadu, 19 Feb 2008

Auggie27 Profile Photo
Auggie27
#8re: Azaria and Simpson to Star in Sorkin's 'Farnsworth Invention' at Music
Posted: 7/25/07 at 10:43pm

And the A. R. Gurney MRS. FARNSWORTH (Do I have that right?) with Sigourney Weaver came to mind. The one about Bush. That excited me; this piece (yawn).

"I'm a comedian, but in my spare time, things bother me." Garry Shandling

Videos