CABARET revisal script

bjivie2 Profile Photo
bjivie2
#1CABARET revisal script
Posted: 10/24/07 at 1:08pm

Is there a published version of the Roundabout CABARET revisal that is just the script? I don't want the coffee table book with all the pictures and stuff. Tams-Witmark only has the original and the 1987 revisal.

Eeeeeeyyyyyyyyaaaaaaaannnnnddddd aaaaaaaiiiiiiiiyyyyyyaaaaaammmmmmmm teeeeeeeelllllliiiiiinnngg yyyyooooooouuuuuuuwwwaaaahh...

CATSNYrevival Profile Photo
CATSNYrevival
#2re: CABARET revisal script
Posted: 10/24/07 at 1:11pm

As far as I know it's only avaialble via the coffee table book. Get it. It's worth it.

husk_charmer
#2re: CABARET revisal script
Posted: 10/24/07 at 1:14pm

And Tams won't sell you the scripts. You'll have to order a perusal and make copies.

http://www.youtube.com/huskcharmer

bjivie2 Profile Photo
bjivie2
#3re: CABARET revisal script
Posted: 10/24/07 at 1:16pm

If it was solely for my enjoyment and if I had the money, I totally would, but it's for the theatre I work for, they just want the script and don't care about the pictures/interviews/whatever else.

And Tams doesn't have the version I'm looking for. We've got all the Tams versions of the script/score.

Eeeeeeyyyyyyyyaaaaaaaannnnnddddd aaaaaaaiiiiiiiiyyyyyyaaaaaammmmmmmm teeeeeeeelllllliiiiiinnngg yyyyooooooouuuuuuuwwwaaaahh...

CATSNYrevival Profile Photo
CATSNYrevival
#4re: CABARET revisal script
Posted: 10/24/07 at 1:22pm

You might have to get the book anyway and type it up. Though this sounds illegal.

bjivie2 Profile Photo
bjivie2
#5re: CABARET revisal script
Posted: 10/24/07 at 1:25pm

It's for reference, no worries. We want to be able to read it without the weird formatting they have on those coffee table books.

Updated On: 10/24/07 at 01:25 PM

folkyboy Profile Photo
folkyboy
#6re: CABARET revisal script
Posted: 10/24/07 at 1:27pm

why didn't they just get it from MTI? is it not available from MTI?

bjivie2 Profile Photo
bjivie2
#7re: CABARET revisal script
Posted: 10/24/07 at 1:30pm

MTI doesn't license Cabaret, Tams-Witmark does. And T-W only has the original and the 1987 revisal.

I'll just break down and buy the coffee table book. Ah well.

WOSQ
#8re: CABARET revisal script
Posted: 10/24/07 at 1:35pm

If the only available script is the big hardbound and that's the version the Powers-That-Be want, guess what? They will have to adapt.

Photocopy and highlight the script you can get.

Show biz is founded on improvisation and if they want a traditional script that doesn't exist, then they need to reach back into their pasts and just shut up and read the freaking script in the way they can get it quickly. Jeez. Do you work for Betty Buckley or Lauren Bacall? This sounds like the kind of thing that either one of them would 'demand'.

If you want to print this out so the Biggies can read what someone who used to be in your shoes had to say, do so. It is sometimes difficult to say this when one is a peon.

"If my life weren't funny, it would just be true. And that would be unacceptable." --Carrie Fisher

Phyllis Rogers Stone
#9re: CABARET revisal script
Posted: 10/24/07 at 1:40pm

They should have just shelled out the twenty whole dollars for the book. Now you're going to have all the tattletales on this board watching that production of Cabaret at Seattle's Fifth Avenue Theatre very carefully.
Updated On: 10/24/07 at 01:40 PM

#10re: CABARET revisal script
Posted: 10/24/07 at 2:12pm

So that version is not available for performance? That's weird because it seems like every performance produced since then has copied that version.

folkyboy Profile Photo
folkyboy
#12re: CABARET revisal script
Posted: 10/24/07 at 3:52pm

not to be picky, but it's less than $20 used on Amazon.

Phyllis Rogers Stone
#13re: CABARET revisal script
Posted: 10/24/07 at 3:59pm

See - less than twenty bucks to violate your performance contract and BWW would have never been the wiser!

theatreguy Profile Photo
theatreguy
#14re: CABARET revisal script
Posted: 10/24/07 at 4:36pm

The rights for the Sam Mendes/Rob Marshall production of Cabaret are held by the Roundabout, not Tams-Witmark. So far, Portland Center Stage in Oregon is the only other company that has produced that version of the show. Chris Coleman, the artistic director of PCS explains it on his blog:

PCS is the first company outside of the Roundabout to have been given rights to this particular version. Not sure why the authors hadn’t allowed other folks to do it, but when we began asking - initial responses from the author’s agent was, “The rights are not available to that version. It’s owned by the Roundabout.”

I had happened to sit on the Theater Communications Board with Todd Haimes, the Artistic Director at the Roundabout, and thought that they probably wouldn’t care if we did it. But I had to get Todd to call the agent of the author (Joe Masteroff) and the agent of the Composers (Kander & Ebb) and say, “We don’t have a problem with PCS producing our version.” Sounds simple enough but it took about four months of consistent nudging to get all parties involved to say yes.
Chris Coleman's Blog

#15re: CABARET revisal script
Posted: 10/24/07 at 4:50pm

After I posted I thought is it because they want to restage the show on Broadway?

But seriously, look on You Tube- every amateur production in the last 5 years looks exactly like the Roundabout version- even high schools.

Speaking of High Schools, I love seeing how much the teacher changes in Welkommen- One poor kid (Who looked mortified even in his t-shirt and suspenders) had to say about his Cabaret Girls "Each and Every one....Unspoiled! You don't believe me? OK!"

I always wonder- Does Sally go to have a hickey removed in the high school version?

folkyboy Profile Photo
folkyboy
#16re: CABARET revisal script
Posted: 10/24/07 at 4:55pm

i wonder if Sally is a wergen in the school productions? someone elaborate for us! i wanna know!

Videos