Totally Tisch

henryt
#1Totally Tisch
Posted: 11/12/07 at 11:00pm

At the Tisch school (NYU) gala tonight, Spring Awakening performed. They brought my level of disgust toward the strike even higher. At a BENEFIT in a NON-BROADWAY house, they all wore t-shirts talking about Local One. I mean, how much more inappropriate can you get?

bkonbroadway
#2re: Totally Tisch
Posted: 11/12/07 at 11:33pm

I don't understand why you are so disgruntled. If Tisch is an educational environment of theatre, why is it wrong to raise awareness about what is currently going on in the theatre world? AEA encouraged its members to support Local One, so that's probably what they were doing. I don't think you would call it "inappropriate" if they all wore red ribbons to support BC/EFA, or pink ribbons to raise awareness for breast cancer at an unrelated venue. So why is it inappropriate for them to support a cause they feel they feel is an important issue? Should they have all worn shirts marketing their own show? Their favorite TV show? Their favorite clothing line?

henryt
#2re: Totally Tisch
Posted: 11/13/07 at 6:19pm

Yes, but they weren't coming as members of AEA. It was a one-time charity performance that they weren't payed for, meaning that AEA had nothing to do with it. And I would actually think that it would be a little inappropriate for someone to wear a pin that relates to one charity at another charity's event.

Yero my Hero Profile Photo
Yero my Hero
#3re: Totally Tisch
Posted: 11/13/07 at 6:21pm

If they are AEA members, then they were appearing as AEA members. Equity actors need special permission from AEA to appear in any non-union or unpaid show, and they always have an asterisk in the program that says "So-and-so is appearing courtesy of Actor's Equity."

Nothing matters but knowing nothing matters. ~ Wicked
Everything in life is only for now. ~ Avenue Q
There is no future, there is no past. I live this moment as my last. ~ Rent

"He's a tramp, but I love him."

defyingravity11 Profile Photo
defyingravity11
#4re: Totally Tisch
Posted: 11/13/07 at 6:28pm

My friend went! She said Jesse L Martin was great. Didn't mention their tee shirts...

"In theater, the process of it is the experience. Everyone goes through the process, and everyone has the experience together. It doesn't last - only in people's memories and in their hearts. That's the beauty and sadness of it. But that's life - beauty and the sadness. And that is why theater is life." - Sherie Rene Scott

playbilled
#5re: Totally Tisch
Posted: 11/14/07 at 2:19am

As AEA members, during this strike they could only appear at the gala as volunteer AEA performers. Since they were unemployed, they were no longer contracted to do that performance because of the strike. They showed up. Tisch was honoring their show and the performers involved who attended Tisch. I guess they were showing support for something that has dramatically affected them and the rest of the broadway community (a major part of Tisch) this past week. Nothing wrong with giving a shout out to their colleagues out in the cold.

Updated On: 11/14/07 at 02:19 AM

Videos