pixeltracker

Florence Lacey - What's she up to?

Florence Lacey - What's she up to?

HorseTears Profile Photo
HorseTears
#1Florence Lacey - What's she up to?
Posted: 12/4/07 at 1:10am

Do you recall the year that Carol Channing was given an honorary/lifetime achievement Tony Award? I want to say it was '94 or '95. She was, of course, touring in Dolly at that time. The tour was in San Diego at that time and she waited until the last minute before deciding to return to NY to accept the award in person on Tony night.

My uncle took me to see the show that same night. I would say at least a third of the audience returned their tickets for refunds or exchanges, when they saw that Ms. Channing would be out, but we could only attend this night, so we stayed. I was just 13 or 14 and had no idea who Ms. Channing was, so I was not worried about missing out.

Ms. Lacey, who was playing Irene in the tour also understudied Ms. Channing. Although this was 13 or 14 years ago I still remember Lacey's performance. She clearly relished that chance to play the lead and she knew that part inside and out. She was so funny, so charming, so absolutely commanding. I recall we were 2 of only 10-15 people in the mezzanine, but I stood and cheered for her at the curtain call and while the curtain fell she clutched her giant Dolly hat in one hand and graciously bent down and waved in gratitude to us up in the mezz. Class act, that woman.

So, uh, is she still around? What's she doing?

LizzieCurry Profile Photo
LizzieCurry
#2re: Florence Lacey - What's she up to?
Posted: 12/4/07 at 1:18am

Well, this is from 2006, but: http://www.playbill.com/news/article/101199.html

"This thread reads like a series of White House memos." — Mister Matt

BobbyBubby Profile Photo
BobbyBubby
#2re: Florence Lacey - What's she up to?
Posted: 12/4/07 at 1:38am

I adore her and was wondering the same thing after listeining to her woinderful Eva. I saw her as as Irene in Hello, Dolly!. Best sung "Ribbons Down My Back" (one of my FAVORITE songs) I've heard. Would love to have her back on Broadway.

Wanna Be A Foster Profile Photo
Wanna Be A Foster
#3re: Florence Lacey - What's she up to?
Posted: 12/4/07 at 4:53am

I also saw her as Irene in DOLLY! Her "Ribbons Down My Back" is glorious.

"Winning a Tony this year is like winning Best Attendance in third grade: no one will care but the winner and their mom."
-Kad

"I have also met him in person, and I find him to be quite funny actually. Arrogant and often misinformed, but still funny."
-bjh2114 (on Michael Riedel)

DottieD'Luscia Profile Photo
DottieD'Luscia
#4re: Florence Lacey - What's she up to?
Posted: 12/4/07 at 6:53am

I had no idea she went on as Dolly, but I did see her as Irene when the show played the Lunt Fontanne.

Hey Dottie! Did your colleagues enjoy the cake even though your cat decided to sit on it? ~GuyfromGermany

Fabala42
#5re: Florence Lacey - What's she up to?
Posted: 12/4/07 at 9:18pm

Ooh this makes me smile! A lot of Flo-love in general lately!

Florence Lacey is taking it easy right now. Saving Aimee was in talks to start off-Broadway early next year. However, she hasn't heard anything from any of the Creatives of the show. She did a Jerry Herman tribute thing at the Goodspeed Opera House last May, but really has been staying at her home in CT.

Videos