pixeltracker

Marquis Theatre: Future Venue for Two Cities?- Page 3

Marquis Theatre: Future Venue for Two Cities?

BroadwayBaby6 Profile Photo
BroadwayBaby6
#50re: Marquis Theatre: Future Venue for Two Cities?
Posted: 12/21/07 at 10:11pm

Tale of Two Cities will not do well in the current Broadway climate...The age of the historical pop-operas on Broadway is over, as the Pirate Queen producers learned the hard way.

As for a show taking the Marquis, Cry-Baby is the best new musical I've seen this year (not that there were very many good musicals this year anywhere) and should be in tip-top shape by the time it reaches Broadway.

"It does what a musical is supposed to do; it takes you to another world. And it gives you a little tune to carry in your head. Something to take you away from the dreary horrors of the real world. A little something for when you're feeling blue. You know?"

sydney23 Profile Photo
sydney23
#51re: Marquis Theatre: Future Venue for Two Cities?
Posted: 12/21/07 at 10:57pm

Michael Grandage directed a wonderful revival of GRAND HOTEL at London's Donmar Warehouse a few years ago. It was extremely minimal (as befits the Donmar) and concentrated on the material (which holds up beautifully) and the performances which were mostly as good as the original Bway cast. I honestly can't remember anything about the set except it was a thrust stage and small space so it's very intimate.

Grandage also directed the even more wonderful revival of GUYS AND DOLLS that played the West End and was supposed to come here but fell apart for whatever reason. He's the most impressive director of musicals I've come across in about twenty years. it would be nice to see what he would do with something original.

zooxanthellae Profile Photo
zooxanthellae
#52re: Marquis Theatre: Future Venue for Two Cities?
Posted: 12/21/07 at 11:08pm

Couldn't it potentially take the St. James when Gypsy is done?

Tale of Two Cities will not do well in the current Broadway climate...The age of the historical pop-operas on Broadway is over, as the Pirate Queen producers learned the hard way.

You really can't make a judgement off of "The Pirate Queen." It was pretty awful to begin with, it would have flopped no matter when it was produced! Also, POTO and Les Mis both show that pop operas can still be popular and successful. Updated On: 12/21/07 at 11:08 PM

son_of_a_gunn_25 Profile Photo
son_of_a_gunn_25
#53re: Marquis Theatre: Future Venue for Two Cities?
Posted: 12/22/07 at 8:49am

Thanks for the corrections on Grand Hotel Smaxie. That's what I get for trusting Wikipedia. Maybe you should take up editing some of the Broadway related entries over there. re: Marquis Theatre: Future Venue for Two Cities?

My avatar is a reminder to myself. I need lots of reminders...

Smaxie Profile Photo
Smaxie
#54re: Marquis Theatre: Future Venue for Two Cities?
Posted: 12/22/07 at 9:11am

Oh, my 'no' was a response to RentBoy's question, not to your post, Son. I was writing my answer for a while at the same time that you posted. I think most of that Wikipedia entry is pretty correct.

Begin at the beginning and go on till you come to the end: then stop.

son_of_a_gunn_25 Profile Photo
son_of_a_gunn_25
#55re: Marquis Theatre: Future Venue for Two Cities?
Posted: 12/22/07 at 9:53am

Oh ok. I misread your response. I am much less confused now.

My avatar is a reminder to myself. I need lots of reminders...

wickedrentq Profile Photo
wickedrentq
#56re: Marquis Theatre: Future Venue for Two Cities?
Posted: 12/22/07 at 10:59am

Hmm...with Fantasia leaving The Color Purple to struggle through the winter months, I wonder if the Broadway might be a possibility...it's a huge Shubert house...I guess time will tell how TCP box office holds up.

"If there was a Mount Rushmore for Broadway scores, "West Side Story" would be front and center. It snaps, it crackles it pops! It surges with a roar, its energy and sheer life undiminished by the years" - NYPost reviewer Elisabeth Vincentelli

romancegirl Profile Photo
romancegirl
#57re: Marquis Theatre: Future Venue for Two Cities?
Posted: 12/26/07 at 10:44am

Okay, as a Yankee that now lives in Florida I take offense at the "What do they know" comment. I saw the show, did you? I was BLOWN AWAY by it. I, as well as the entire audience, was moved by James Barbour when he sang "Let Her be a Child", knowing he was giving his life so the precious (and she was PRECIOUS) little Lucie wouldn't lose her Papa. The standing O he recieved should count for something (although I guess we are just a bunch of Floridians.
Will this show become a HUGE hit and win TONYs? Who knows. I would see it again and again. I will fly up and see it on Broadway as soon as it is open.
I think the moment people judge any work without seeing it, art suffers.
Just my two cents, I think I'll go to the beach today. How's the snow YA'LL?

Videos