pixeltracker

Parking in the city for the day, any tips?

Parking in the city for the day, any tips?

BroadwayBoy2 Profile Photo
BroadwayBoy2
#1Parking in the city for the day, any tips?
Posted: 2/7/08 at 10:18pm

im looking in driving into the city early, and leaving late on a saturday, does anyone have any tips on where to park?

I'll have them clawing at eachother, like drag queens at a wig sale"

george95
#2re: Parking in the city for the day, any tips?
Posted: 2/7/08 at 10:19pm

I strongly suggest you consider public transportation.

Neverandy Profile Photo
Neverandy
#2re: Parking in the city for the day, any tips?
Posted: 2/7/08 at 10:23pm

If you're coming through the Lincoln Tunnel your best bet is the garage at port authority. MAke sure you get in the tunnel all the way on your right. When you get out of the tunnel follow the signs towards 42nd st. Before you get to 42nd you'll see the entrance for the busses to go to the terminal. Right next to it is the entrnace to the parking garage. The best part of parking there is that when you leave it deposits you directly back into the tunnel. you don't have to mess around with any city driving. Keep in mind though that it closes from 1am 5 am. If you don't get there before 1 you can't get to your car until the next morning. it usually costs about 30 bucks for a day. Hope this helps.

Other than that, did you enjoy the play Mrs Lincoln?

BroadwayBoy2
#3re: Parking in the city for the day, any tips?
Posted: 2/7/08 at 10:26pm

Thanks!
I was considering the Parking Garage Under the Gershwin, but the one you suggested sounds great!

BroadwayBoy2
#4re: Parking in the city for the day, any tips?
Posted: 2/7/08 at 10:27pm

Silly me, i will not be entering through the Lincon Tunnel, haha.

Whats traffic like around 6-9am on a saturday

george95
#5re: Parking in the city for the day, any tips?
Posted: 2/7/08 at 10:39pm

let me give you public transit directions plllllleeeeeeeease! : )

BroadwayBoy2
#6re: Parking in the city for the day, any tips?
Posted: 2/7/08 at 10:45pm

ok...but i dont understand why?
I can save the money, and see a second show.

jaystarr Profile Photo
jaystarr
#7re: Parking in the city for the day, any tips?
Posted: 2/7/08 at 10:45pm

just a heads up.. parking in the city has a certain clause.. you have to leave at a certain time...like 7pm or else they will charge you again.. but that depend on where you park..we got jipped when we parked by the theater district several times..be careful..

i suggest take the public transpo...parking may cost you anywhere from $30- $75..

J*

alfgiotir Profile Photo
alfgiotir
#8re: Parking in the city for the day, any tips?
Posted: 2/7/08 at 10:47pm

i usually park at the Hippodrome Garage on 44th between 5 and 6th. It is directly in front of the Algonquin Hotel. (also near the Belasco). About 1 block from Broadway. On Saturdays it usually cost $14. It is a great garage too. It is very modern (for a parking garage).

jaystarr Profile Photo
jaystarr
#9re: Parking in the city for the day, any tips?
Posted: 2/7/08 at 10:48pm

I can save the money, and see a second show.

^^ that's exactly what I mean.. seeing one at 2 pm matinee and another at 8 pm....after 7 pm .. parking goes up..so if youre parked by 12 noon or 1 pm...and you already paid lets say $20.00.. you'll ended up paying extra $45.00 buck for the after 7 pm...

Also..when we saw LEGALLY BLONDE on a Saturday...parking cost us $45.00 just to see a show..

J*

jaystarr Profile Photo
jaystarr
#10re: Parking in the city for the day, any tips?
Posted: 2/7/08 at 10:50pm

alf- Is the parking at Hippodrome fix at $17.00 all day long?

J*

george95
#11re: Parking in the city for the day, any tips?
Posted: 2/7/08 at 11:01pm

midtown Manhattan parking is the most expensive in the country. And, NYC is pretty much the only city in the country where public transit is a real, solid alternative to driving, so why drive here! Leave your car at home and enjoy the cheap, easy public transit! yay public transit! : )

BroadwayBoy2
#12re: Parking in the city for the day, any tips?
Posted: 2/7/08 at 11:04pm

just point me in the right direction

xanafanadu2
#13re: Parking in the city for the day, any tips?
Posted: 2/7/08 at 11:04pm

if you must drive, park outside of manhattan (nj, queens, riverdale, long island, westchester etc.) and take the bus/train/subway in to manhattan. it'll save u lots of time and if u park in the street where u can park all day long, then u'll save lots of money too.

jaystarr Profile Photo
jaystarr
#14re: Parking in the city for the day, any tips?
Posted: 2/7/08 at 11:05pm

and another thing..oh my god.

Have you driven by Times Square? sometimes you cant even GO on green bec. tourists are still crossing the street...and there's gaziilion of them... they are fearless too...then it will turn RED again... Saturday 6 pm to midnight is the worse time!

J*

Updated On: 2/7/08 at 11:05 PM

george95
#15re: Parking in the city for the day, any tips?
Posted: 2/7/08 at 11:08pm

let me hook you up! I am a directions whore!

jaystarr Profile Photo
jaystarr
#16re: Parking in the city for the day, any tips?
Posted: 2/7/08 at 11:12pm

I probably need you george..my GPS sometimes does not work in NYC bec. of the tall buildings.. I dont get good receptions...

BTW- Make sure you'll have plenty of time....sometimes those parking garages fill up quick on the weekends and you'll be driving and driving looking for another garage..

1 hour before the show is a BAD BAD BAD idea! specially 8 pm Friday or Saturday.

J*
Updated On: 2/7/08 at 11:12 PM

george95
#17re: Parking in the city for the day, any tips?
Posted: 2/7/08 at 11:15pm

jaystarr say the word and i'm your directions whore too

BroadwayBoy2
#18re: Parking in the city for the day, any tips?
Posted: 2/7/08 at 11:16pm

i just PM-ed you george95

george95
#19re: Parking in the city for the day, any tips?
Posted: 2/7/08 at 11:20pm

yeah and your account doesnt accept PMs so whats up with that.....

BroadwayBoy2
#20re: Parking in the city for the day, any tips?
Posted: 2/7/08 at 11:23pm

try it now

adamgreer Profile Photo
adamgreer
#21re: Parking in the city for the day, any tips?
Posted: 2/7/08 at 11:23pm

I live close by in NU, and I never drive in the city- I always take public transportation. But I'm fortunate in that I'm a 20 minute bus ride from Port Authority.

I do know people who have used the garage at Port Authority before, and have commented on how simple and easy it is. It isn't cheap, but it is very convenient.

burntplains Profile Photo
burntplains
#22re: Parking in the city for the day, any tips?
Posted: 2/7/08 at 11:25pm

just park anywhere between like 42nd and 52nd on the street between 9th and 10th.. I'm in the city every weekend and have not paid for parking in years.. PLUS, it only like a 10 min walk down to Broadway.

wonderfulwizard11 Profile Photo
wonderfulwizard11
#23re: Parking in the city for the day, any tips?
Posted: 2/7/08 at 11:26pm

Question for those about public transportation. I'm seeing SITPWG this Saturday evening, and my dad would prefer taking a bus from PA than driving in from PA. I've been looking for busing, and I'd like to find something that leaves the city late enough so we can get out of the show and (hopefully) stage door. Does anyone know any busing companies that would do this?

Also, how long would it take to get from Studio 54 to Port Authority?

Thanks!!!

I am a firm believer in serendipity- all the random pieces coming together in one wonderful moment, when suddenly you see what their purpose was all along.

george95
#24re: Parking in the city for the day, any tips?
Posted: 2/7/08 at 11:27pm

Yeah and all it'll take is a few more people driving to the city to do that and the city will shut down with gridlock. Public transit baby!

Videos