MT Wichita Summer Stock

DickonDefysGravity Profile Photo
DickonDefysGravity
#1MT Wichita Summer Stock
Posted: 2/28/08 at 9:16pm

Anyone familiar with the summer stock or seen anything there?

And you think of all of the things you've seen, and you wish that you could live in between ,and you're back again only different than before... After the Sky. -Into the Woods (Jack)

starlight2
#2re: MT Wichita Summer Stock
Posted: 2/28/08 at 10:50pm

Music Theatre of Wichita? HELLO! Best in the Southwest! amazing theatre,broadway stars, newbies getting their start,fantastic productions and their following is outstanding! Wayne Bryan is a legend in his time! he made that theatre the best...in no-mans land. No place in that region can hold a candle to them! Just fyi??!!

singingshowgirl Profile Photo
singingshowgirl
#2re: MT Wichita Summer Stock
Posted: 2/28/08 at 10:54pm

i just received an audition for them. is it super difficult to get cast there? i'm still in college. do they get a million trillion applicants?

theactorsociety Profile Photo
theactorsociety
#3re: MT Wichita Summer Stock
Posted: 2/28/08 at 11:57pm

They get a lot of MT students. I know my friends at CCM are all going.

Kitzarina Profile Photo
Kitzarina
#4re: MT Wichita Summer Stock
Posted: 2/29/08 at 1:28am

I live in Wichita and have been seeing their shows since I was 7 years old. They are a wonderful summer stock and yes, they seem to only hire performers from OU and MT these days.

My audition is next Saturday; keeping my fingers crossed. Then again, they never seem to cast local talent anymore. So if you are from out of state, I'm sure you have a tremendous chance. Not that I'm bitter or anything re: MT Wichita Summer Stock

"You're the worst thing to happen to musical theatre since Andrew Lloyd Webber!" --Family Guy

"Shut up! It's been 29 years!!!" --the incomparable Patti LuPone in her MUCH DESERVED Tony acceptance speech for Gypsy.

Kitzy's Avatar du Jour: Kitzy as Little Red Ridinghood in her college's production of "Into the Woods"

DickonDefysGravity
#5re: MT Wichita Summer Stock
Posted: 2/29/08 at 2:47am

ok cool. i'm auditioning in Chicago.

And you think of all of the things you've seen, and you wish that you could live in between ,and you're back again only different than before... After the Sky. -Into the Woods (Jack)

B3TA07 Profile Photo
B3TA07
#6re: MT Wichita Summer Stock
Posted: 2/29/08 at 3:01am

"they seem to only hire performers from OU"

I think you're mistaking OU with my school, OCU. :)

-Benjamin
--http://www.benjaminadgate.com/

Kitzarina Profile Photo
Kitzarina
#7re: MT Wichita Summer Stock
Posted: 2/29/08 at 8:57am

Indeed I am. And I appologize re: MT Wichita Summer Stock

"You're the worst thing to happen to musical theatre since Andrew Lloyd Webber!" --Family Guy

"Shut up! It's been 29 years!!!" --the incomparable Patti LuPone in her MUCH DESERVED Tony acceptance speech for Gypsy.

Kitzy's Avatar du Jour: Kitzy as Little Red Ridinghood in her college's production of "Into the Woods"

Tom148502
#8re: MT Wichita Summer Stock
Posted: 2/29/08 at 9:24am

Starlight2 said:
"Music Theatre of Wichita? HELLO! Best in the Southwest!"

Never realized that Kansas is in the Southwest re: MT Wichita Summer Stock

Tom148502
#8re: MT Wichita Summer Stock
Posted: 2/29/08 at 9:24am

Starlight2 said:
"Music Theatre of Wichita? HELLO! Best in the Southwest!"

Never realized that Kansas is in the Southwest re: MT Wichita Summer Stock

John Murdock Profile Photo
John Murdock
#10re: MT Wichita Summer Stock
Posted: 2/29/08 at 12:46pm

i have friends who have worked there and loved it. They werent from OCU, but i have many friends that are and they have worked there as well. From what i can tell they want very strong performers in acting and singing... that is the important factor

Upcoming Shows: Gypsy, Dead Mans Cell Phone, Xanadu, Sunday in the Park with George

DickonDefysGravity
#11re: MT Wichita Summer Stock
Posted: 3/1/08 at 5:36pm

Anybody know of any Broadway/Off-Broadway actors/actresses who have come through there? Just curious.

Tom148502
#12re: MT Wichita Summer Stock
Posted: 3/1/08 at 5:44pm

Dickon asked:
"Anybody know of any Broadway/Off-Broadway actors/actresses who have come through there? Just curious."

I have a friend who grew up in Wichita and worked there a lot before attending Ithaca College. He told me once that Lara Teeter (ON YOUR TOES) worked there. I have three recordings of showw done by MT Wichita. Here are the casts:

CARNIVAL - Richard White,Rochelle Travis,Mary Robin Roth,Michael Davis,Ray WIllis

THE DESERT SONG - Richard White,Linda Michele,Dirk Lumbard,Lillian Graff,Stewart Gregory,David Ford,Thomas E Baresel,Dawn DiPasquale,Charles Parker,Steve Frazier,Jane collinsworth

HONK! - David Ruprecht,Susan Hoftlander,Karen Robu,Arthur W Marks,Andy Biddy,Josh Prince,Pamela Jusino,Kristin Williams,LaQuin Groves

singingshowgirl Profile Photo
singingshowgirl
#13re: MT Wichita Summer Stock
Posted: 3/2/08 at 12:49pm

i'm auditioning in NY March 29 and i am doing the dance audition. does anyone have experience to know how difficult the dance audition is? i definitely dance, but don't advertise myself as a dancer FIRST (singer who dances, ya know?)....but i certainly think i'm competent and get the job done. any insights?

starlight2
#14re: MT Wichita Summer Stock
Posted: 3/2/08 at 6:36pm

kelly O'hara, kristen chenoweth, jordan ballard,also there is a cast member of the current Broadway cast of Young Frankenstein and also did Spamalot who did MT of Wichita named brian?? can't remember the last name! all performed there in college i believe, the girls are from ocu. sorry about the 'best in the southwest" it rhymed...sort of! and it is bible belt country for sure! how bout "best in the midwest" I think Wayne Bryan is amazing! He seems to cast from all over the US. I know several CCM actors have been cast...and yes! Dance is very important especially if it is a dance show. There have been several OU actors cast the past few years also and the have really turned around their musical theatre dept.

Sinfonia2001
#15re: MT Wichita Summer Stock
Posted: 3/3/08 at 1:17pm

is there a website to get more info on this??? Thanks!

fnyboi88 Profile Photo
fnyboi88
#16re: MT Wichita Summer Stock
Posted: 3/3/08 at 1:46pm

Here you go.

Music Theatre of Wichita

Broadway Shows I've Seen: Hairspray, Chicago, Little Shop of Horrors (2003), The Wedding Singer, Spamalot, Riverdance, Rent, Beauty and the Beast, Spring Awakening, Wicked, Legally Blonde, Phantom of the Opera, Sweet Charity (revival), Drowsy Chaperone, The Lion King, Dreamgirls(2010 Tour).

lildogs Profile Photo
lildogs
#17re: MT Wichita Summer Stock
Posted: 3/3/08 at 2:46pm

Lara Teeter is a pretty big macher in that area for theatre (I used to compete in ACTF/Irene Ryans with the OU and OCU kids); Lara used to do lots of workshops and judging and whatnot.

That said, MT Wichita has a GREAT reputation around the US...

dfwactor
#18re: MT Wichita Summer Stock
Posted: 3/10/08 at 5:35pm

Music Theatre Wichita is a great theater. Never worked there but I have seen their work. They hire about 10 Equity actors a show, but the ensemble are college students. I am not certain what contract they are under but the leads are often Equity. They hire students from OU, OCU, Univ. of Michigan, and CCM to name a few. Think they have a college audition circuit of some kind.

Yes, Kansas is in the Midwest for sure. Wayne Bryan seems like a very nice man and has an excellent reputation. Mark Madama is their other director. He teaches at Michigan. He is an excellent director and I have worked for him at Casa Manana in Fort Worth. Also, very nice man. Easy going. Organized.

Good luck on your audition Dickondefysgravity

Kitzarina Profile Photo
Kitzarina
#19re: MT Wichita Summer Stock
Posted: 3/10/08 at 7:44pm

An update on my audition. It went VERY well and I'm on the current short list for a company position!!!

I take back my previous cynical comments.