GYPSY Reviews

tonytonytony Profile Photo
tonytonytony
#300re: GYPSY Reviews
Posted: 3/31/08 at 5:39pm

And the winner of the 2008 Tony is....Ms. Patti LuPone (She exemplifies a quality performer! WOW What a Production! A standing ovation for Patti (not just at the end) but immediately after Roses's Turn! She just is the BEST!

H.Higgins Profile Photo
H.Higgins
#301re: GYPSY Reviews
Posted: 3/31/08 at 5:58pm

Well shoot, I'm nauseous again. "A Director" is back.

I was hoping you got run over by Patti LuPone...

A Director
#302re: GYPSY Reviews
Posted: 4/1/08 at 3:12am

H. Henry - Glad you're nauseous again. May the feeling never go away.

justafan2
#303re: GYPSY Reviews
Posted: 4/1/08 at 6:35am

"New York" magazine's, Jeremy McCarter didn't care for it, but...he's in the minority---

http://nymag.com/daily/entertainment/2008/03/laura_benanti_on_stripping_in.html

Wanna Be A Foster Profile Photo
Wanna Be A Foster
#304re: GYPSY Reviews
Posted: 4/1/08 at 7:18am

I already posted the New York Magazine review.

Patti needs to start rehearsing her Tony acceptance speech because she's a shoo-in.

She has been rehearsing for the past 20 years. Trust me, she'll be prepared.

"Winning a Tony this year is like winning Best Attendance in third grade: no one will care but the winner and their mom."
-Kad

"I have also met him in person, and I find him to be quite funny actually. Arrogant and often misinformed, but still funny."
-bjh2114 (on Michael Riedel)

justafan2
#305re: GYPSY Reviews
Posted: 4/1/08 at 7:26am

Wanna Be A Foster---Sorry---yes, I went back and found your posting. I haven't seen Gypsy yet, but I definitely don't agree that Patti needs any rehearsing---she's a seasoned performer.

PalJoey Profile Photo
PalJoey
#306re: GYPSY Reviews
Posted: 4/2/08 at 1:54pm

John Heilbrun in today's New York Observer:

"It takes a diva to play a diva and LuPone is the most authentic Rose we're likely to see....The phenomenal pace and attack of Ms. LuPone throughout the show is something to behold. The lady ain't some people--and she wants us to know it. Nothing the 58-year-old Patti LuPone has ever done has been small...Mama Rose is the role for her...."Everything's Coming Up Rose" and Act II's ferocious closing aria and primal scream, "Rose's Turn," are the twin peaks of the show and its ultimate challenge. Ms. LuPone, pacing the stage and claiming the territory, nails them both."

jaystarr Profile Photo
jaystarr
#307re: GYPSY Reviews
Posted: 4/2/08 at 1:58pm

Gosh! Those SH*T Stirrers are back on this thread again! re: GYPSY Reviews

J*

BroadwayEnthusiast2 Profile Photo
BroadwayEnthusiast2
#308re: GYPSY Reviews
Posted: 4/2/08 at 10:57pm

re: GYPSY Reviews

I can't find the Wall Street Journal review, but it was a rave.

The illustration of the show for The New Yorker is great.

"I mean, sitting side by side with another man watching Patti LuPone play Rose in GYPSY on Broadway is essentially the equivalent of having hardcore sex." -Wanna Be A Foster. "Say 'Goody.' Say 'Bubbi.'" ... "That's it. Exactly as if it were 'Goody.' Now I know you're gonna sing 'Goody' this time, but nevertheless..."