Broadway hits and flops

frontrowcentre2 Profile Photo
frontrowcentre2
#50re: Broadway hits and flops
Posted: 6/22/08 at 3:16am

Yes, Variety reported that POPPINS recouped this past season so I have changed its status.

As for CARRIE, it was indeed a huge flop but no cast album was made so it is not on the list. There are thousands of flops over the years that closed after brief runs - less than a week in many cases - and were not recorded. These shows are merely statistics.

Cast albums are NOT "soundtracks."
Live theatre does not use a "soundtrack." If it did, it wouldn't be live theatre!

I host a weekly one-hour radio program featuring cast album selections as well as songs by cabaret, jazz and theatre artists. The program, FRONT ROW CENTRE is heard Sundays 9 to 10 am and also Saturdays from 8 to 9 am (eastern times) on www.proudfm.com

stupidbeans
#51re: Broadway hits and flops
Posted: 9/5/08 at 6:53pm

was the sitpwg revival a hit or a flop

"And We Have A Shepherd's Pie Peppered With Actual Shepherd On Top" - Mrs. Lovett, Sweeney Todd

commasplice
#52re: Broadway hits and flops
Posted: 9/5/08 at 8:40pm

"was the sitpwg revival a hit or a flop"

Neither -- "hit" and "flop" are terms only used for commercial productions, and the Sunday revival was produced by Roundabout, which is a not-for-profit.

stupidbeans
#53re: Broadway hits and flops
Posted: 9/5/08 at 8:41pm

ooo

"And We Have A Shepherd's Pie Peppered With Actual Shepherd On Top" - Mrs. Lovett, Sweeney Todd

frontrowcentre2
#54re: Broadway hits and flops
Posted: 9/7/08 at 3:37am

Indeed all Roudabout shows are non=commercial.

BTW, Stupid Beans, I hope you realize your quote from "A Little Prist" is wrong. The line is "And we have some shepherd's pie peppered with actual shepherd on top." Peppered is an internal rhyme with shepherd.

Live theatre does not use a "soundtrack." If it did, it wouldn't be live theatre!

I host a weekly one-hour radio program featuring cast album selections as well as songs by cabaret, jazz and theatre artists. The program, FRONT ROW CENTRE is heard Sundays 9 to 10 am and also Saturdays from 8 to 9 am (eastern times) on www.proudfm.com

stupidbeans
#55re: Broadway hits and flops
Posted: 9/7/08 at 11:57am

ooops, I'll fix it

AvenueQResident Profile Photo
AvenueQResident
#56re: Broadway hits and flops
Posted: 1/9/09 at 3:06pm

BUMP

Any chance of this list getting updated?

Everything in life...is only for now.

AndAllThatJazz22
#57re: Broadway hits and flops
Posted: 5/3/09 at 9:08am

SO, any updates

"There's nothing good on. The media hates Christmas. The media loves vampires, though. Maybe they will show a Twilight Christmas."
-Danmeg's 10 year old son.

frontrowcentre2
#58re: Broadway hits and flops
Posted: 5/3/09 at 10:52am

THe update will happen in early June when Variety publishes their lists and stats for the season (which officially ends Sunday May 31.)

Of last season's holdovers we know that IN THE HEIGHTS paid off earlier this year and is classified as a hit now.

A CATERED AFFAIR, CRY BABY, GYPSY, PASSING STRANGE, XANADU and YOUNG FRANKENSTEIN were all flops.

Of this season's openings we know that [title of show}, and STORY OF MY LIFE were flops.

It is too soon to know on BILLY ELLIOT (likely a hit if it keeps grossing $1 million + a week), SHREK, NEXT TO NORMAL, ROCK OF AGES or the revivals of GUYS AND DOLLS, WEST SIDE STORY and HAIR. The latter two would seem likely to pay off but probably not until next year.

dramamama611 Profile Photo
dramamama611
#59re: Broadway hits and flops
Posted: 5/3/09 at 11:53am

And don't forget ATOTC was a definite flop, as was 13.

If we're not having fun, then why are we doing it? These are DISCUSSION boards, not mutual admiration boards. Discussion only occurs when we are willing to hear what others are thinking, regardless of whether it is alignment to our own thoughts.

Mr Roxy Profile Photo
Mr Roxy
#60re: Broadway hits and flops
Posted: 5/3/09 at 1:36pm

Was "The Human Comedy" in that list?

Poster Emeritus

blaxx Profile Photo
blaxx
#61re: Broadway hits and flops
Posted: 5/3/09 at 1:42pm

We already know Human Comedy was a huge floperoo.

Listen, I don't take my clothes off for anyone, even if it is "artistic". - JANICE

AndAllThatJazz22
#62re: Broadway hits and flops
Posted: 5/8/09 at 12:30pm

White Christmas is a touring show, right? It might've recouped before the Broadway run.

"There's nothing good on. The media hates Christmas. The media loves vampires, though. Maybe they will show a Twilight Christmas."
-Danmeg's 10 year old son.

twinbelters Profile Photo
twinbelters
#63re: Broadway hits and flops
Posted: 6/24/10 at 4:19pm

Awesome thread. It would be great to have a list of all the shows that didn't receive a cast recording. Great job FrontRow!

With Irma you gotta do something!

Phantom of London Profile Photo
Phantom of London
#64re: Broadway hits and flops
Posted: 6/24/10 at 9:09pm

One of the best threads I have read on here, remember reading this last year and wondered if this thread would come back, great it has, tells a lot about history of musical theatre.

Great that Billy Elliot and Next to Normal are now HITS.

Earlier in the thread, a scaled back version of Sunset Boulevard was mentioned, this did happen in London as actor/musician concept and was tremendous production, I had high hopes it would come to New York, so you guys could share the beauty.

iLoveBroadway4 Profile Photo
iLoveBroadway4
#65re: Broadway hits and flops
Posted: 6/25/10 at 1:44am

13 was a major flop .

Interviewing a Vampire, DUH