pixeltracker

How much do leads of a show make a year?- Page 3

How much do leads of a show make a year?

Tag Profile Photo
Tag
#50re: How much do leads of a show make a year?
Posted: 4/16/08 at 1:49am

Because he is Cheyenne Jackson and he is leading a Broadway show.

ZiggyCringe
#51re: How much do leads of a show make a year?
Posted: 4/16/08 at 3:41am

Listen, I hope Cheyenne is making that much money. He's terrific, leg injury or not.

However, the "Xanadu" numbers make no sense.

If he is getting that much, how much is Testa making? Think about it.

She certainly is. Or the producers are. SOMEBODY is. Working those numbers.

Broadway is a business. And those numbers just simply don't add up.

"Xanadu" is grossing around $200,000 grand per week. Sometimes more, sometimes less.

Those TV ads are costing $50,000 per week. Running costs (bare minimum, considering the size of the cast) are around $150,000 per week. Even assuming that the show is running at a loss (to capitalize on the Tony's, which I think is smart), they cannot possibly afford to pay a lead ten grand a week, especially an unknown lead like Cheyenne.

Now, I'm just guessing, I'm not involved in the production. But the discussion was started. If my math is bad, please correct me.

Updated On: 4/16/08 at 03:41 AM

elphaba.scares.me Profile Photo
elphaba.scares.me
#52re: How much do leads of a show make a year?
Posted: 4/16/08 at 11:26am

Again, it's a unique situation.

If the rumor of the salary is true, he would most likely be the highest-paid member of the company by a lot. He saved their asses. He's also the one with the least to gain by stepping in...and didn't he turn down the role in the first place?

He's probably making significantly more than Kerry...who, after all, gets to prove with Xanadu that she can carry a show, will most likely get a Tony nomination, and can command a higher price for her NEXT show.

If you learn one thing from this thread, it should be that there is really no standard or foolproof model for actors' salaries, and sometimes--but very rarely--they need you badly enough that the actor is in control and can cash in.

Dolly_Levi Profile Photo
Dolly_Levi
#53re: How much do leads of a show make a year?
Posted: 4/16/08 at 12:34pm

Bravo for Mr. Jackson if he is getting that much.

P.S. Chey if you're reading this, can I borrow $10?

Laughter is much more important than applause. Applause is almost a duty. Laughter is a reward. Carol Channing

mjcallahan
#54re: How much do leads of a show make a year?
Posted: 4/17/08 at 2:30am

certain shows pay extremely well. i know for a fact that there are 3 leads in musicals right now that make 15,000-20,000 a week. Yes, a week. some others, based on name may make more. It really depends on the show and the producers but these shows i'm speaking of aren't going anywhere anytime soon.

MrsVampyre
#55re: How much do leads of a show make a year?
Posted: 4/19/08 at 11:04pm

Actors Equity determines the minimum an actor can make for being in show. After that,it's up to what was negotiated in the contract.

A big star not only gets the salary he/she wants, but, also a percentage of the gross, and of the sales from all the trinkes, hats, t-shirts, posters etc that's sold as part of the show.

Whoever said that off broadway actors make about $500.00 a week is slightly behind the times. The original Circle in the Square was paying $1000.00 a week at least 10 + years ago.

In addition, one of the equity rules is that an actor can leave a show at any time for a project that will pay more money.

But, the person that said that an actor's salary has to support a lot of other people is right. There's the agent, lawyer, publisist, personal assistant, dresser (if not paid for by the show)and then add to that any household help an actor may have.