SOUTH PACIFIC - Help!

LimelightMike Profile Photo
LimelightMike
#1SOUTH PACIFIC - Help!
Posted: 4/6/08 at 2:57am

Hey all -

On April 7, 1949, Rodgers and Hammerstein's SOUTH PACIFIC opened on Broadway. That coming September, my grandmother turned 18 years old...

With her birthday approaching (Lord only knows how soon these summers fly), I opted to book a pair of tix to see the first revival of the show since its original run almost 60 years ago! I officially booked the seats on Friday (the 4th), the order has seemingly been processed and the tickets have been printed.

My only question is this: For those who have experienced this masterpiece playing on West 65th, how *are* my seats, and what can expect from this mounting? For reference, we'll be in the Center Orchestra, Row D, Seats 303 and 304.

With these spectacular reviews, I just couldn't resist, treating the one person who first introduced me to the wonder of 'live theatre' when I was a young critter. August 19th, the evening we're headed out, can't come here soon enough!

Thank you kindly, my friends.

Best,
- Mike SOUTH PACIFIC - Help!

Updated On: 4/6/08 at 02:57 AM

COOOOLkid
#2re: SOUTH PACIFIC - Help!
Posted: 4/6/08 at 3:02am

Instead of making everybody read that big paragraph, why not just type the row/seat?

And seriously, how can that be a terrible seat?

"Hey, you! You're the worst thing to happen to musical theatre since Andrew Lloyd Webber!" -Family Guy

LimelightMike
#2re: SOUTH PACIFIC - Help!
Posted: 4/6/08 at 3:03am

(a) I thought backstory would be a nice lead-in.

... I'm a writer, it's what I do! re: SOUTH PACIFIC - Help!

and

(b)This is my first LCT production, I honestly wouldn't know...

Greekmusicalfan Profile Photo
Greekmusicalfan
#3re: SOUTH PACIFIC - Help!
Posted: 4/6/08 at 3:06am

Mike, you are second row, Dead center !!! It can't get any more fantastic than that !

verynewyorkcurious Profile Photo
verynewyorkcurious
#4re: SOUTH PACIFIC - Help!
Posted: 4/6/08 at 3:07am

a) It was.

That's super super sweet.

LimelightMike
#5re: SOUTH PACIFIC - Help!
Posted: 4/6/08 at 3:08am

Greek, veryNY, you're both wonderful! re: SOUTH PACIFIC - Help! Updated On: 4/6/08 at 03:08 AM

verynewyorkcurious
#6re: SOUTH PACIFIC - Help!
Posted: 4/6/08 at 3:14am

LimelightMike, just for future reference, nytheatre.com has pretty detailed seating charts..much more detailed than playbill.com or telecharge/ticketmaster. It also tells you where the mezz overhangs to the orchestra.

nytheatre.com venue listings

LimelightMike
#7re: SOUTH PACIFIC - Help!
Posted: 4/6/08 at 3:16am

D'oh! I usually frequent that site.
I don't know WHY it didn't strike me this time around.

verynewyorkcurious
#8re: SOUTH PACIFIC - Help!
Posted: 4/6/08 at 3:20am

I don't mind your posts though, just FYI.

Have fun with your grandmother! I have no doubt she'll be touched.

LimelightMike
#9re: SOUTH PACIFIC - Help!
Posted: 4/6/08 at 3:29am

Thank you so, so, so much!

I dunno. Maybe it's just my reasoning. I feel that *that* generation deserves this show, this mounting. Richard and Oscar, too! This should be treasured by kin and kith alike. Here's hoping the 19th brings about 'some enchanted evening' for my Grams. I know I sure can ramble, and I apologize.

Updated On: 4/6/08 at 03:29 AM

verynewyorkcurious
#10re: SOUTH PACIFIC - Help!
Posted: 4/6/08 at 3:52am

I actually read all of that before you just deleted it. That's very sweet of you. If I was her, I'd tell everyone too.

My parents have this family friend who I've known since I was born. She's in her 80s..loves the theatre. She saw the original production of South Pacific (imagine that), and she was thrilled when she found out that there was gonna be a revival. They (that generation) do indeed deserve this show..this mounting. I might just steal your idea and take her to see it!

puppetman2
#10re: SOUTH PACIFIC - Help!
Posted: 4/6/08 at 6:48pm

The original message was great. It is so nice to have a really good natured posting rather the most of the snide and rude in most postings. Wish there were more like this one.

It Sucks To Be Me

LimelightMike
#11re: SOUTH PACIFIC - Help!
Posted: 4/7/08 at 12:59am

Shameless Bump.

With hopes that those who have made the voyage to the Beaumont can share some thoughts, comments, and opinions on the show.

Corine2 Profile Photo
Corine2
#12re: SOUTH PACIFIC - Help!
Posted: 4/7/08 at 8:43am

I saw it yesterday afternoon from row L- Right. There is not a bad seat in the theater. You have the best seat.
You're in for a treat. I still have goose bumps thinking about SOUTH PACIFIC.
Paulo Szot's voice is beyond incredible. The production is perfection. Enjoy.

There is no Broadway like old Broadway! re: SOUTH PACIFIC - Help!
(PS I LOVE ALL BROADWAY)
Updated On: 4/7/08 at 08:43 AM

markymatt
#13re: SOUTH PACIFIC - Help!
Posted: 4/7/08 at 11:59am

Just FYI (and making no assumptions about your grandmother):

Lincoln Center Theater Accessibility

Videos