pixeltracker

Anyone seeing TOP GIRLS tonight?

Anyone seeing TOP GIRLS tonight?

LaCageAuxFollesFan2 Profile Photo
LaCageAuxFollesFan2
#1Anyone seeing TOP GIRLS tonight?
Posted: 4/15/08 at 9:43am

I'm seeing it later in the week and was wondering if anyone was seeing the first preview tonight? I've been rather disapointed with the last few play revivals i've seen on Broadway (The Country Girl, Les Liaisons Dangereuses, and parts of Macbeth) - I'm trying not to set my hopes to high for TOP GIRLS, but I enjoy Chuchill and I got to say this has got to be one of the best ensembles on paper I've seen in quite sometime. Then again I thought The Country Girl had the predegree as well, and that show is a disaster. I'm hoping what's on page and set for Top Girls translates on the stage.

Please report if anyone is going soon...

Wanna Be A Foster Profile Photo
Wanna Be A Foster
#2re: Anyone seeing TOP GIRLS tonight?
Posted: 4/15/08 at 9:46am

I'm trying not to set my hopes to high for TOP GIRLS, but I enjoy Chuchill and I got to say this has got to be one of the best ensembles on paper I've seen in quite sometime. Then again I thought The Country Girl had the predegree as well, and that show is a disaster.

I gots ta say dis gots da sound bettuh then Choo-Choo's lest revizal. Specisically wid dat predegriee.

WHAT?

"Winning a Tony this year is like winning Best Attendance in third grade: no one will care but the winner and their mom."
-Kad

"I have also met him in person, and I find him to be quite funny actually. Arrogant and often misinformed, but still funny."
-bjh2114 (on Michael Riedel)

WithoutATrace Profile Photo
WithoutATrace
#2re: Anyone seeing TOP GIRLS tonight?
Posted: 4/15/08 at 9:54am

I'm seeing it tonight..will report back.

LaCageAuxFollesFan2 Profile Photo
LaCageAuxFollesFan2
#3re: Anyone seeing TOP GIRLS tonight?
Posted: 4/15/08 at 9:57am

Thanks WAT - looking forward to it.

WBAF - please check your PM. I can't seem to post on this board without your taking issue with everything.

Back to the original post, if anyone else is seeing the show, let me know how it is. Thanks!

Wanna Be A Foster Profile Photo
Wanna Be A Foster
#4re: Anyone seeing TOP GIRLS tonight?
Posted: 4/15/08 at 9:59am

I only take issue with your inability to spell, apply basic rules of grammar, and proofread before posting.

"Winning a Tony this year is like winning Best Attendance in third grade: no one will care but the winner and their mom."
-Kad

"I have also met him in person, and I find him to be quite funny actually. Arrogant and often misinformed, but still funny."
-bjh2114 (on Michael Riedel)

adamgreer Profile Photo
adamgreer
#5re: Anyone seeing TOP GIRLS tonight?
Posted: 4/15/08 at 11:18am

I will also be there tonight. Will definitely report back. I know nothing about the play, but the synopsis makes it sound very bizarre.

Calvin Profile Photo
Calvin
#6re: Anyone seeing TOP GIRLS tonight?
Posted: 4/15/08 at 11:51am

I'll be there Friday.

AC126748 Profile Photo
AC126748
#7re: Anyone seeing TOP GIRLS tonight?
Posted: 4/15/08 at 1:43pm

Thursday for me.

"You travel alone because other people are only there to remind you how much that hook hurts that we all bit down on. Wait for that one day we can bite free and get back out there in space where we belong, sail back over water, over skies, into space, the hook finally out of our mouths and we wander back out there in space spawning to other planets never to return hurrah to earth and we'll look back and can't even see these lives here anymore. Only the taste of blood to remind us we ever existed. The earth is small. We're gone. We're dead. We're safe." -John Guare, Landscape of the Body

Maurice Profile Photo
Maurice
#8re: Anyone seeing TOP GIRLS tonight?
Posted: 4/15/08 at 9:06pm

Wish I could be there tonight... But, I'll be seeing it in about a month. I look forward to hearing what others have to say about it.

"I'm a whirling mass of contradictions." - Douglas Carter Beane, The Little Dog Laughed

Equus (11/8), Billy Elliot (11/8)

WithoutATrace
#9re: Anyone seeing TOP GIRLS tonight?
Posted: 4/15/08 at 11:17pm

I'm sorry to say I am unable to review this show because I have absolutely NO CLUE what I just saw for the past 2.5 hours. It was so painful. There was mass exodus at intermission and a handful of people did walk out during the middle of Act 1. The show was atrocious. I would not recommend this to anyone. I'd rather sit through Cry Baby, The Country Girl, and A Catered Affair 100 times than sit through this again. I honestly just didn't get it. Apparently I needed to read up on my women's studies and important figures in feminism to fully comprehend this pretentious bull**it. Go at your own risk.

mesmerized24601 Profile Photo
mesmerized24601
#10re: Anyone seeing TOP GIRLS tonight?
Posted: 4/15/08 at 11:18pm

I know this just started previews tonight and technically the running time could change a bit, but does anyone know the approximate run time for this play?

...and still you hold on, to every old song... - Adam Pascal

WithoutATrace
#11re: Anyone seeing TOP GIRLS tonight?
Posted: 4/15/08 at 11:21pm

The first act was a LONG hour and 40 minutes. The second act was like 35 minutes...

WaltSummersPI Profile Photo
WaltSummersPI
#12re: Anyone seeing TOP GIRLS tonight?
Posted: 4/15/08 at 11:23pm

WAT, good for you for staying, though :)

WithoutATrace
#13re: Anyone seeing TOP GIRLS tonight?
Posted: 4/15/08 at 11:25pm

I have never left a show at intermission...wasn't going to start tonight.

WaltSummersPI
#14re: Anyone seeing TOP GIRLS tonight?
Posted: 4/15/08 at 11:27pm

Could you tell if the performances are good, despite the material?

WithoutATrace
#15re: Anyone seeing TOP GIRLS tonight?
Posted: 4/15/08 at 11:28pm

The performances were fine. They all knew their lines. I just couldn't stand the material.

mesmerized24601 Profile Photo
mesmerized24601
#16re: Anyone seeing TOP GIRLS tonight?
Posted: 4/15/08 at 11:29pm

Thank you WAT, despite it not sounding like you had that great of a time!

...and still you hold on, to every old song... - Adam Pascal

IdinaBellFoster Profile Photo
IdinaBellFoster
#17re: Anyone seeing TOP GIRLS tonight?
Posted: 4/15/08 at 11:30pm

Brantley is going to be having a field day with the reviews for this, The Country Girl and Cry-Baby.

Can't wait.

"Oh look at the time, three more intelligent plays just closed and THE ADDAMS FAMILY made another million dollars" -Jackie Hoffman, Broadway.com Audience Awards

WaltSummersPI
#18re: Anyone seeing TOP GIRLS tonight?
Posted: 4/15/08 at 11:31pm

...don't forget Glory Days is still to open, too.

BustopherPhantom Profile Photo
BustopherPhantom
#19re: Anyone seeing TOP GIRLS tonight?
Posted: 4/15/08 at 11:39pm

Shouldn't we wait to pass judgment until we get a review from someone who liked the material before seeing this production?

"Y'know, I think Bertolt Brecht was rolling in his grave."
-Nellie McKay on the 2006 Broadway production of The Threepenny Opera, in which she played Polly Peachum
Updated On: 4/15/08 at 11:39 PM

Maurice Profile Photo
Maurice
#20re: Anyone seeing TOP GIRLS tonight?
Posted: 4/15/08 at 11:40pm

Well, it is the first preview and it's Caryl Churchill and it's non-sequential. I'm familiar with the play (because we did it in college) and really like it. But, I don't remember Act I running 1 hour and 40 minutes.

"I'm a whirling mass of contradictions." - Douglas Carter Beane, The Little Dog Laughed

Updated On: 4/15/08 at 11:40 PM

LimelightMike Profile Photo
LimelightMike
#21re: Anyone seeing TOP GIRLS tonight?
Posted: 4/15/08 at 11:41pm

SoOoOoO... Should I *save* the $30 I was going to spend on a front row seat to shis one???

WithoutATrace
#22re: Anyone seeing TOP GIRLS tonight?
Posted: 4/15/08 at 11:42pm

Let me clarify:

The play as a whole consists of THREE acts.

Act 1, and Act 2, scenes 1 and 2 are collectively 1 hour and 40 minutes.

Then there is an intermission.

Act 3 is approximately 35 minutes and then the show is over.

Maurice Profile Photo
Maurice
#23re: Anyone seeing TOP GIRLS tonight?
Posted: 4/15/08 at 11:46pm

Wish I was under 30 to take advantage of those $30 tickets. There needs to be a $40 under 40.

WithoutATrace
#24re: Anyone seeing TOP GIRLS tonight?
Posted: 4/15/08 at 11:47pm

Please save your $30...

Videos