BOEING-BOEING Reviews

Maurice Profile Photo
Maurice
#1BOEING-BOEING Reviews
Posted: 5/4/08 at 6:32pm

There starting to come in... Talkin' Broadway is up.
Talkin' Broadway

"I'm a whirling mass of contradictions." - Douglas Carter Beane, The Little Dog Laughed

Equus (11/8), Billy Elliot (11/8)

BustopherPhantom Profile Photo
BustopherPhantom
#2re: BOEING-BOEING Reviews
Posted: 5/4/08 at 6:36pm

Talkin' Broadway is Mixed:

...if you must settle for a single uppercut, Rylance is the knock-out. Bernard’s explanation of his complicated four-way arrangement illuminates Robert’s shadowy attic, and watching Rylance spend over two hours clearing out the cobwebs from his unlived celebrates the kind of honest joy found in far too few of this season’s Broadway comedies.

Robert may have no confidence in his ability to get what he wants, but he’s unafraid to go after it, at any personal cost - a reminder that a night of a thousand kisses begins with a single peck on the cheek. Only when the wallflower joins the dance and learns he can’t stop grooving to the music does he - and, for that matter, Boeing-Boeing - truly take off.

http://www.talkinbroadway.com/world/Boeing2.html

"Y'know, I think Bertolt Brecht was rolling in his grave."
-Nellie McKay on the 2006 Broadway production of The Threepenny Opera, in which she played Polly Peachum

LimelightMike Profile Photo
LimelightMike
#2re: BOEING-BOEING Reviews
Posted: 5/4/08 at 6:45pm

Funnily enough, I'd chalk that one up as a POSITIVE.

frogs_fan85 Profile Photo
frogs_fan85
#3re: BOEING-BOEING Reviews
Posted: 5/4/08 at 7:16pm

Murray's use of the word "iffy" in the first sentence of the second paragraph is what makes the review mixed.

Maurice Profile Photo
Maurice
#4re: BOEING-BOEING Reviews
Posted: 5/4/08 at 7:19pm

Variety is mixed to positive.

The producing contingent deserves credit for taking a chance on this one. Despite its West End success, there were lots of reasons to suspect this revival of Marc Camoletti's 1962 comedy might not travel. A smash in its original run that played for 19 years in Paris and seven in London, it vanished after only 23 performances on Broadway in 1965. The same year, it spawned a strained Tony Curtis-Jerry Lewis movie that had the shelf life of yogurt. But if the paroxysms of laughter gripping the Longacre audience offer any gauge, this incarnation should stick around considerably longer.
Variety

"I'm a whirling mass of contradictions." - Douglas Carter Beane, The Little Dog Laughed

Updated On: 5/4/08 at 07:19 PM

BustopherPhantom
#5re: BOEING-BOEING Reviews
Posted: 5/4/08 at 7:27pm

That's really more a Very Positive, Maurice: Rooney had a few quibbles, but he was quick to add that none impeded his riotous good time.

-Nellie McKay on the 2006 Broadway production of The Threepenny Opera, in which she played Polly Peachum

ray-andallthatjazz86 Profile Photo
ray-andallthatjazz86
#6re: BOEING-BOEING Reviews
Posted: 5/4/08 at 7:31pm

My favorite line from Rooney's review:

Icing on the cake is watching the cast share their almost improper enjoyment during the go-go curtain calls, choreographed by Kathleen Marshall with so much verve they almost make you forgive her for "Grease."

"Some people can thrive and bloom living life in a living room, that's perfect for some people of one hundred and five. But I at least gotta try, when I think of all the sights that I gotta see, all the places I gotta play, all the things that I gotta be at"

adamgreer Profile Photo
adamgreer
#7re: BOEING-BOEING Reviews
Posted: 5/4/08 at 8:31pm

I would say the Variety review is very positive. Nothing mixed about it.

BustopherPhantom
#8re: BOEING-BOEING Reviews
Posted: 5/4/08 at 8:40pm

The Associated Press is Very Positive:

It takes a while to taxi down the runway, but when "Boeing-Boeing" finally lifts off, it remains giddily airborne, a deliriously funny farce that refuses to come down to earth.

The play, which opened Sunday at Broadway's handsomely refurbished Longacre Theatre, revels in being retro. Well, at least 1960s retro, a French sex comedy with a lot of doors — seven, in fact — and three babes, a trio of flight attendants attired in the tightest, shortest skirts this side of Twiggy...

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20080504/ap_en_re/theater_boeing_boeing

Maurice Profile Photo
Maurice
#9re: BOEING-BOEING Reviews
Posted: 5/4/08 at 8:52pm

Yes... It was much more positive than not.

adamgreer Profile Photo
adamgreer
#10re: BOEING-BOEING Reviews
Posted: 5/4/08 at 10:16pm

Brantley at the Times is a rave-

"“Boeing Boeing,” a creaky French comedy that has been given the makeover of the season by the director Matthew Warchus, has no earthly right to be as funny as it is."

"The production that opened Sunday night at the newly refurbished Longacre Theater is tricked out in thoroughly Mod ’60s style, but this latest edition of a play named for an aircraft soars right out of its time zone and into some unpolluted stratosphere of classic physical comedy"

http://theater2.nytimes.com/2008/05/05/theater/reviews/05boei.html?8dpc

ShbrtAlley44 Profile Photo
ShbrtAlley44
#11re: BOEING-BOEING Reviews
Posted: 5/4/08 at 10:19pm

YESSSSSS YES YES YES!!

BustopherPhantom
#12re: BOEING-BOEING Reviews
Posted: 5/4/08 at 10:20pm

Wow, that was a hell of a rave from Ben.

Shall we assume that BOEING-BOEING is the front-runner for Best Revival of a Play (considering that TOP GIRLS, even with great reviews, will probably get the "Well, it's worthy, but I enjoyed BOEING more!" treatment)?

verynewyorkcurious Profile Photo
verynewyorkcurious
#13re: BOEING-BOEING Reviews
Posted: 5/4/08 at 10:24pm

Top Girls will not get great reviews.

So far so good for BOEING!

Maurice Profile Photo
Maurice
#14re: BOEING-BOEING Reviews

I was just thinking the same thing, Bustopher. It will at least garner a nomination.

CyCoSpAz2 Profile Photo
CyCoSpAz2
#15re: BOEING-BOEING Reviews

What a great review from Brantley!

adamgreer Profile Photo
adamgreer
#16re: BOEING-BOEING Reviews

I think it's either Boeing Boeing or Macbeth, with the edge to Boeing Boeing, since it will still be running.

I'm so happy about these reviews!! I had a fantastic time at the show and am thrilled it's getting the recognition it deserves!

BustopherPhantom
#17re: BOEING-BOEING Reviews
Posted: 5/4/08 at 10:29pm

Here, in my opinion, is what the other possible nominees have against them:

MACBETH: A great, probably-Tony-winning performance by Patrick Stewart (and maybe Kate Fleetwood), but not the best production. It may not get a lot of votes from the Shakespeare-loving voters who feel the production doesn't quite respect the text.

THE HOMECOMING: Closed in April. Got very good reviews, but not the best (there were complaints that the production didn't have an edge).

TOP GIRLS: It's non-linear. Not getting the greatest board reviews (of course, there have been plenty of shows this season that didn't get the reviews they got on the boards).

Other revivals, unless I'm missing something, aren't in the running (unless CYMBELINE pulls the surprise nominee and even-bigger-surprise win [which won't happen, but...]).

adamgreer Profile Photo
adamgreer
#18re: BOEING-BOEING Reviews
Posted: 5/4/08 at 10:31pm

I don't think Top Girls will even be nominated. Look for Cyrano to get that last slot.

shh282 Profile Photo
shh282
#19re: BOEING-BOEING Reviews
Posted: 5/4/08 at 10:31pm

I am so happy Ben gave it that review - it absolutely deserves it

LaCageAuxFollesFan2 Profile Photo
LaCageAuxFollesFan2
#20re: BOEING-BOEING Reviews
Posted: 5/4/08 at 10:35pm

I think the major contenders for nominee for Best Revival will be:

BOEING BOEING
MACBETH
THE HOMECOMING/COME BACK LITTLE SHEBA/or TOP GIRLS

It's going to depend on the critical reaction to TOP GIRLS whether they get the last slot or not. I thought it was a splending revival, but I can understand why some might think otherwise. If TOP GIRLS isn't the 4th what will be? I'd say SHEBA or LIASONS. But...I could also see them leaving off THE HOMECOMING since after its reviews, it died a sloooooowwww and agonizing death. I guess we'll have a better feel after TG opens this week.

Maurice Profile Photo
Maurice
#21re: BOEING-BOEING Reviews
Posted: 5/4/08 at 10:39pm

I don't know... I'm kinda thinking that the nominees will be:

BOEING-BOEING
THE HOMECOMING
MACBETH
CYRANO

Updated On: 5/4/08 at 10:39 PM

adamgreer Profile Photo
adamgreer
#22re: BOEING-BOEING Reviews
Posted: 5/4/08 at 10:40pm

The 39 Steps is not a revival, it's a new play.

verynewyorkcurious Profile Photo
verynewyorkcurious
#23re: BOEING-BOEING Reviews
Posted: 5/4/08 at 10:41pm

Maurice, 39 Steps isn't a revival. It is the same production as the West End one. Hopefully, that will get nominated for New Play.

uncageg Profile Photo
uncageg
#24re: BOEING-BOEING Reviews
Posted: 5/4/08 at 10:45pm

"The Homecoming" just rocked! Incredible! IMO

Just give the world Love.

Videos