pixeltracker

Actor injured this afternoon in Little Mermaid- Page 8

Actor injured this afternoon in Little Mermaid

broadwaycat3113 Profile Photo
broadwaycat3113
#175re: Actor injured this afternoon in Little Mermaid
Posted: 5/30/08 at 5:12pm

winston89-i'm not sure if you're aware, but many of those incidents that occurred at disney parks happened because of people's health conditions that they either ignored or didn't know they had. those people then proceeded to get on the rides, which are well-armed with various health warnings. not that these theme park incidents have anything to do with those in the theater, it's just something to think about.

"Put Your Faith In What You Most Believe In...."

Fosse76
#176re: Actor injured this afternoon in Little Mermaid
Posted: 5/30/08 at 11:52pm

Apparently, this was plain negligence. Whoever was responsible for making sure that the trap door was closed did not do an inspection as required. When the trap is open, a light turns on in the stage manager's booth. Apparently, the stage manager was not there, despite the cast being at "places." Unfortunately, no matter how alert Adrian was, he would have most likely fallen through the trap. Had the cast members that are also on that set not seen him fall, there would have been at least one or two more actors to have fallen through.

As for the comparing of accidents between theatre and theme parks, I think winston89 is referring more to the Disney PR machine and its ability to distort facts and spin information that makes it come across as an innocent bystander. I remember when Big Thunder derailed and killed a man, Disney tried to put out "speculation" that the man was riding improperly and that is what caused his death. Of course, the OSHA report that was released and witness statements readily debunked it, but Disney was quick to blaim the victim. When the Columbia Sailing Ship Cleat killed a man, they tried to spin it that he was standing in a restricted area. OSHA also debunked that one. And look what happened when Adrian fell...the speculation began immediately that he did something to contribute to the accident, and it was preciptated by a few posters here who have claimed to work on Disney shows and stress that safety is their first priority. Considering Equity has been fighting with Disney for years, I don't think Disney's priority is safety. They don't want to sacrifice the "show" for safety. And that is a fact. Costumes that cause problems aren't changed. Disney just decides to pay for the actors' medical bills. That's not safety conscience.

winston89 Profile Photo
winston89
#177re: Actor injured this afternoon in Little Mermaid
Posted: 5/31/08 at 12:50am

Broadwaycat, I was talking more about the Disney PR machine. And, I wasn't just talking about the accidents on the rides. There have been reports of saftey issues involving the performers that perform at the Disney parks as well. There have been common problems like the helmets on the character costumes are so heavy and resting only on the shoulders of the person wearing it that it ends up hurting their shoulders really badly. On occasion there have been performers in costume who are doing parades that don't have any/enough air conditioning that they pass out due to the heat. I remember hearing a story about how someone was in the Mickey Mouse costume in a parade float that had Mickey in a snow globe. There was supposed to be air blowing in the globe for the actor to cool him down. But, the heat got to him and he passed out and collapsed and the parade went on anyways.

Disney never reports these things due to their good PR department. It is right to say that this is a Disney problem because it is marketed as "Disney On Broadway" and as a Disney show. Tom Shumocker might just be the representitive and the head of Disney's branch for theatre but it is still Disney in the end and it is still Disney's fault.

"If you try to shag my husband while I am still alive, I will shove the art of motorcycle maintenance up your rancid little Cu**. That's a good dear" Tom Stoppard's Rock N Roll

StageFan2 Profile Photo
StageFan2
#178re: Actor injured this afternoon in Little Mermaid
Posted: 5/31/08 at 7:46am

I'm sure since there's a legal action pending on this matter everything is being kept pretty quiet; but does anyone have an update on how Mr. Bailey is doing? I realize his recovery is going to take time - I was just wondering how he was progressing. Still wishing him the best and keeping him in my thoughts.

jess20882 Profile Photo
jess20882
#179re: Actor injured this afternoon in Little Mermaid
Posted: 7/10/08 at 2:59pm

Just curious - does anyone know how Adrian Bailey is doing these days??

Fosse76
#180re: Actor injured this afternoon in Little Mermaid
Posted: 7/10/08 at 3:50pm

He's still hospitalized...and making minimal progress.