pixeltracker

Actor injured this afternoon in Little Mermaid

Actor injured this afternoon in Little Mermaid

musicalman2
#1Actor injured this afternoon in Little Mermaid
Posted: 5/10/08 at 4:35pm

An actor fell through a trap door today at Little Mermaid and was hurt.

musicalman2
#2re: Actor injured this afternoon in Little Mermaid
Posted: 5/10/08 at 4:37pm

http://www.wnbc.com/news/16225597/detail.html?rss=ny&psp=news

The above link is the story related to the message I posted. I tried posting it before but for some reason, it did not appear.

jerseygurl
#2re: Actor injured this afternoon in Little Mermaid
Posted: 5/10/08 at 4:38pm

It's the dear and talented Adrian Bailey.
All thoughts and prayers out to Adrian.

musicalman2
#3re: Actor injured this afternoon in Little Mermaid
Posted: 5/10/08 at 4:43pm

Jersey, didn't he get the gypsy robe in Little Mermaid?

withoutlovewithoutU Profile Photo
withoutlovewithoutU
#4re: Actor injured this afternoon in Little Mermaid
Posted: 5/10/08 at 4:52pm

That's crazy. I really hope he's okay and recovers quickly.

"If we don't live happily ever after at least we survive until the end of the week!" -Kermit the frog "I need the money... it costs a lot to look this cheap!" -Dolly P. "Oh please, Over at 'Gypsy' Patti LuPone hasn't even alienated her first daughter yet!" Mary Testa in "Xanadu" "...Like a drunk Chita Rivera!" Robin de Jesus in "In the Heights"

"B*tch, I don't know your life." -Xanadu After that if he still doesn't understand why you were uncomfortable and are now infuriated, kick him again but this time with Jazz Hands!!! -KillerTofu

ghostlight2
#5re: Actor injured this afternoon in Little Mermaid
Posted: 5/10/08 at 4:52pm

He's been on Broadway since the late '70's, with many shows to his credit, so he definately would be a candidate for the gypsy robe. Loved him in Jelly's Last Jam.

All the best to him.

BWIDB Charlie
PlayhouseBeauty Profile Photo
PlayhouseBeauty
#7re: Actor injured this afternoon in Little Mermaid
Posted: 5/10/08 at 5:08pm

Hope he is doing better....Yes he did recieve the Gypsy Robe for The Little Mermaid

localonedude
#9re: Actor injured this afternoon in Little Mermaid
Posted: 5/10/08 at 5:34pm

I truly hope he is ok . I hate to say it but saftey is a hot button issue with me . The producers have gotten so cheap especially after this last contract that saftety is put on the back burner . They do things a cheap as possible . Not enough people on the show . These shows are heavily automated . There are nine things moving at once some times . Heavy scenery some times 10000 lb s or more .. Saftey should be paramount!!!!!!!Its not though. I'm not saying this is the case at Mermaid but it gives me an opportunity to bring light to a very important issue.

LePetiteFromage
Posted: 5/10/08 at 5:39pm

Updated On: 5/6/09 at 05:39 PM

MungoGypsy8232
#11re: Actor injured this afternoon in Little Mermaid
Posted: 5/10/08 at 5:49pm

We hope for your speedy recovery! This is getting a lot of press coverage, don't you think?
comcast.net

emo_geek Profile Photo
emo_geek
#12re: Actor injured this afternoon in Little Mermaid
Posted: 5/10/08 at 6:20pm

The Xanadu part at the end was odd

"I never had theatre producers run after me. Some people want to make more Broadway shows out of movies. But Elliot and I aren't going to do Batman: The Musical." - Julie Taymor 1999

localonedude
#13re: Actor injured this afternoon in Little Mermaid
Posted: 5/10/08 at 6:29pm

Safety should get alot of press!! I've worked on alot of flying shows . Tarzan (which did it right by hiring Foy rigging-expesive but that is there niche.), Beauty(enchatress) and a few others. I was amazed in Pirate Queen they let that actor jump off a 15 foot piece of scenery with just a hand loop. .Hand loops arent harness'. But the labor board and equity allow them . Its like the crane in New York they started checking safety after !!
Updated On: 5/10/08 at 06:29 PM

wicked_beast4 Profile Photo
wicked_beast4
#17re: Actor injured this afternoon in Little Mermaid
Posted: 5/10/08 at 6:41pm

I really hope you heard that wrong. I have it on now if they say anything again.

"He found something that he wanted, had always wanted and always would want— not to be admired, as he had feared; not to be loved, as he had made himself believe; but to be necessary to people, to be indispensable." -F. Scott Fitzgerald's This Side of Paradise

nymommy
#18re: Actor injured this afternoon in Little Mermaid
Posted: 5/10/08 at 6:47pm

Me too, I'm searching all over the net to see if I can find anything about it. I just pray I'm wrong. It happened so fast, It was a shock to the system. The news, that is.

BrodyFosse123 Profile Photo
BrodyFosse123
#19re: Actor injured this afternoon in Little Mermaid
Posted: 5/10/08 at 6:56pm

Ouch! He fell 20 feet onto the stage from this trap door accident. He only broke both wrists, thank God!

This fall reminds me of Ann-Margret's near-fatal 22-foot fall (on her face) in Lake Tahoe back in 1972. She was making her stage entrance sitting on a hand-shaped platform which tilted forward making her free-fall 22-feet on her face. She was back on stage 10 weeks later.

Here's an article about it: http://www.latimes.com/entertainment/news/la-et-comebacks11sep11,0,2725252.photogallery?coll=la-home-entertainment&index=2

While performing in Lake Tahoe, Nevada, she fell 22 feet from the stage and suffered injuries including a broken left arm, cheekbone and jawbone, that put her out of commission for ten weeks after which she returned to the stage almost back to normal. Her husband, Roger Smith, flew a stolen plane from Burbank to Lake Tahoe and back to get her to surgeons at UCLA to repair her injuries since they were the only ones who could perform her facial reconstruction thru her mouth without having to cut her face.

localonedude
#20re: Actor injured this afternoon in Little Mermaid
Posted: 5/10/08 at 7:07pm

Ny 1 just said broken wrists and stable!! 704 pm

WaltSummersPI Profile Photo
WaltSummersPI
#21re: Actor injured this afternoon in Little Mermaid
Posted: 5/10/08 at 7:08pm

Good news. What a scary fall that must have been.

nymommy
#22re: Actor injured this afternoon in Little Mermaid
Posted: 5/10/08 at 7:09pm

Okay, thank goodness. ABC reported wrong. they said he came into the hospital in bad shape and passed. Bad ABC, bad reporters.

DefyGravity777
#23re: Actor injured this afternoon in Little Mermaid
Posted: 5/10/08 at 7:18pm

I truly hope he is ok . I hate to say it but saftey is a hot button issue with me . The producers have gotten so cheap especially after this last contract that saftety is put on the back burner . They do things a cheap as possible . Not enough people on the show . These shows are heavily automated . There are nine things moving at once some times . Heavy scenery some times 10000 lb s or more .. Saftey should be paramount!!!!!!!Its not though. I'm not saying this is the case at Mermaid but it gives me an opportunity to bring light to a very important issue.

I have to agree with you. I work in a business that does very dangerous things and we've had fewer accidents then Broadway shows do.
Particularly in the area of these trap doors... Is the safety training just not enough? Is it not lit well enough backstage? I know accidents just happen sometimes, but even months into a run for seasoned performers to manage to get hurt because of these trap doors. Seems like something needs to be done.
-------------------------------------------------------

I agree with both of you. I too work at a place that has alot of dangerous equipment and things moving all around at once and we have about 1 or 2 accidents a year. They say that he fell onto the stage from 20 ft above. Was it a trap door in the ship that he fell through? Thank God that he only broke his wrists(not that that's good) and didn't land on his head or anything like that.

Don't believe everything that you hear! Only the peeps involved know the truth!
Updated On: 5/10/08 at 07:18 PM

uncageg Profile Photo
uncageg
#24re: Actor injured this afternoon in Little Mermaid
Posted: 5/10/08 at 7:20pm

I am assuming he fell from the ship?

Just give the world Love.

James885 Profile Photo
James885
#25re: Actor injured this afternoon in Little Mermaid
Posted: 5/10/08 at 7:24pm

It's a miracle that he broke only his wrists after falling 20 feet. Best wishes for a quick recovery

"You drank a charm to kill John Proctor's wife! You drank a charm to kill Goody Proctor!" - Betty Parris to Abigail Williams in Arthur Miller's The Crucible

Popular Profile Photo
Popular
#26re: Actor injured this afternoon in Little Mermaid
Posted: 5/10/08 at 7:56pm

So scary! Most definitely wishing him a speedy recovery. This kind of thing should never happen to anyone!

Tag Profile Photo
Tag
#27re: Actor injured this afternoon in Little Mermaid
Posted: 5/10/08 at 8:31pm

Well someone is going to get a big payday from Disney.