New MY FAIR LADY film

Michael Bennett Profile Photo
Michael Bennett
#100re: New MY FAIR LADY film
Posted: 6/6/08 at 2:13pm

I'm pretty certain that is her singing. She may have been 'enhanced' a little, but its her voice.

Brave Sir Robin2 Profile Photo
Brave Sir Robin2
#101re: New MY FAIR LADY film
Posted: 6/6/08 at 2:14pm

Well, I saw a lip on YouTube of her singing and she was okay, so I guess it will turn out good. She's a great actress and I love MFL.

"I saw Pavarotti play Rodolfo on stage and with his girth I thought he was about to eat the whole table at the Cafe Momus." - Dollypop

achangeinme Profile Photo
achangeinme
#102re: New MY FAIR LADY film
Posted: 6/6/08 at 3:57pm

Just watched the youtube clip and am less than thrilled over Keira's singing. Maybe Kelli could dub her vocals or something, ha!

nitwit Profile Photo
nitwit
#103re: New MY FAIR LADY film
Posted: 6/6/08 at 4:15pm

why does higgins always have to be old and ugly. it would be a better movie if they cast a hawt guy.

Roscoe
#104re: New MY FAIR LADY film
Posted: 6/6/08 at 4:19pm

One of the biggest problems with the original film is the insane disparity in age between Harrison and Hepburn. A younger hotter Higgins (more like Colin Firth, I'm not thinking Brad Pitt here) would be good to see. It's a shame this didn't come about before Jeremy Irons got too old and psycho to do it.

"If they can get you asking the wrong questions, they don't have to worry about the answers." Thomas Pynchon, GRAVITY'S RAINBOW "Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away." Philip K. Dick My blog: http://www.roscoewrites.blogspot.com/

MrMidwest Profile Photo
MrMidwest
#105re: New MY FAIR LADY film
Posted: 6/6/08 at 4:22pm

re: New MY FAIR LADY film

"The gods who nurse this universe think little of mortals' cares. They sit in crowds on exclusive clouds and laugh at our love affairs. I might have had a real romance if they'd given me a chance. I loved him, but he didn't love me. I wanted him, but he didn't want me. Then the gods had a spree and indulged in another whim. Now he loves me, but I don't love him." - Cole Porter

nitwit Profile Photo
nitwit
#106re: New MY FAIR LADY film
Posted: 6/6/08 at 4:24pm

HELL YEAH!!! c it would make sense for her to go back to that hunk of man meat. not that old guy in the old movie.

MerMaggieGalinda
#107re: New MY FAIR LADY film
Posted: 6/6/08 at 4:36pm

Someone suggested James Marsden as Freddie, which is PERFECT. I can already imagine him singing "On the Street Where you Live," and I don't even like that song that much and it sounds wonderful. Daniel Craig would be an interesting Henry. I think Hugh Grant as Henry could possibly work. But I'm still not 100% behind a remake being made. But if it has to be done, it better have the right people.

somethingwicked Profile Photo
somethingwicked
#108re: New MY FAIR LADY film
Posted: 6/6/08 at 11:23pm

Personally, one casting idea I'd like to see is Bill Nighy as Alfred Doolittle.

There is no doubt in my mind that Nighy could tear through numbers like "With a Little Bit of Luck" and "Get Me to the Church on Time" (assuming both made it into the film) with comedic hilarity.

Tonya Pinkins: Then we had a "Lot's Wife" last June that was my personal favorite. I'm still trying to get them to let me sing it at some performance where we get to sing an excerpt that's gone.
Tony Kushner: You can sing it at my funeral.

H.Higgins Profile Photo
H.Higgins
#109re: New MY FAIR LADY film
Posted: 6/7/08 at 12:50am

somethingwicked-

That's an AMAZING suggestion! God, I didn't even think of him! I don't know how he slipped through my thoughts on this one; he would be perfect, IMO. I adore his work and can completely see him doing wonders with Dolittle. Perhaps the producer will be thinking of him as he did "Love Actually", in which Mr. Nighy was hysterical as Billy Mack.

I also like the suggestions people made earlier for Jim Broadbent as Pickering. He would be a delight in that role.

Trap-Door Lover Profile Photo
Trap-Door Lover
#110re: New MY FAIR LADY film
Posted: 6/7/08 at 2:44am

I love the idea of Hugh Laurie as Higgins.

And I'm probably in the 1% of people that thinks Colin Firth is a terrible actor (he's practically the same in every one of his movies so wooden).

I just love Laura Michelle Kelly. I think she would make a great Eliza. She's got a Julie Andrews quality to her voice. She sounds like her at times.
Or I could see Bryce Dallas Howard. I think she'd make an interesting Eliza.

ray-andallthatjazz86 Profile Photo
ray-andallthatjazz86
#111re: New MY FAIR LADY film
Posted: 6/7/08 at 4:36am

Who?
Sorry, but the film needs two (and three, four, and ten) big movie stars to carry it, no Laura Michelle Kelly or Kelli O'Hara or any of these actresses nobody has really heard of.
I've no doubt Keira Knightley will do a great job if she indeed is cast.

"Some people can thrive and bloom living life in a living room, that's perfect for some people of one hundred and five. But I at least gotta try, when I think of all the sights that I gotta see, all the places I gotta play, all the things that I gotta be at"

Over the Moon Profile Photo
Over the Moon
#112re: New MY FAIR LADY film
Posted: 6/7/08 at 12:25pm

It's Audrey's Movie, I rest my case

come ONNNNN can we get some Originality here????!!!!

DG
#113re: New MY FAIR LADY film
Posted: 6/7/08 at 12:29pm

"It's Audrey's Movie"

Rex Harrison would beg to differ.

And I would agree with him.

nygrl23 Profile Photo
nygrl23
#114re: New MY FAIR LADY film
Posted: 6/7/08 at 12:32pm

Keira Knightly. Ick.

gypsy4
#115re: New MY FAIR LADY film

This has actualy been in the talks for awhile Maybe julie andrews could play Mrs.Dolittle

Over the Moon
#116re: New MY FAIR LADY film

haha okay okay I can see that but I guess I say that because:

1. I love Audrey
2. She really put a lot of work into the part even when they used Marni Nixon's voice, and she supported the film even after it came out.

gypsy4
#117re: New MY FAIR LADY film
Posted: 6/7/08 at 12:39pm

What about Zooey deschanel as Eliza I thought she did really good in the once upona Matress Remake

degrassifan
#118re: New MY FAIR LADY film
Posted: 6/7/08 at 12:39pm

Pardon my ignorance, but can someone please answer this question?

What do people mean when they say a movie musical is too stagey or less stagey?

Thanks!

DG
#119re: New MY FAIR LADY film
Posted: 6/7/08 at 12:50pm

Over - just so you know, this is one of my favorite movies ever. I LOVE Audrey in it - and as much as I adore Julie, I would have voted for Audrey to win the Oscar (IF she had been nominated re: New MY FAIR LADY film) I just tend to agree with Rex that the story as told is more about Henry's journey.

As for this new version, why not? I agree with Elphaba that all art can be interpreted many ways many times. Doesn't mean you have to like it - or even watch.

gypsy4
#120re: New MY FAIR LADY film
Posted: 6/7/08 at 12:52pm

I sort of think this should Be a TV remake Updated On: 6/7/08 at 12:52 PM

DG
#121re: New MY FAIR LADY film
Posted: 6/7/08 at 12:57pm

gypsy - I agree - and at first, because of the CBS connection, I thought it was! I can see it as a two-night mini presentation, actually.

Over the Moon
#122re: New MY FAIR LADY film
Posted: 6/7/08 at 1:01pm

DG- yeah I agree with you about the oscar and I see your point. That is true about art Kudos Elphaba, I'm sure I'll watch it and maybe even like it. I guess what really makes me mad is the fact theres remake after remake etcccc just the same humdrum setting, know what i mean?

RetroBoy
#123re: New MY FAIR LADY film
Posted: 6/7/08 at 3:56pm

CBS has always been involved with MFL. they were the major backers of the original b'way production. Columbia Records (which at the time was affiliated with CBS) released the cast album. They sold the film rights to Jack Warner on the condition that after 5 years the rights would revert back to CBS (a unique arrangement).

take a look at any video release of MFL and you will notice the CBS logo somewhere on the packaging. they own MFL.

DG
#124re: New MY FAIR LADY film
Posted: 6/7/08 at 4:54pm

Retro - very interesting! And I do recall seeing the logo, now that you bring it up.