New MY FAIR LADY film

BobbyBubby Profile Photo
BobbyBubby
#125re: New MY FAIR LADY film
Posted: 6/8/08 at 3:00am

Knightly is a tad too cold on film to play Eliza. Hathaway is superb casting.

Muhlethaler
#126re: New MY FAIR LADY film
Posted: 6/8/08 at 1:49pm

Updated On: 6/18/20 at 01:49 PM

H.Higgins Profile Photo
H.Higgins
#127re: New MY FAIR LADY film
Posted: 6/8/08 at 3:32pm

Just read that, too, Muhlethaler.

Here's the link if anyone is interested:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/newstopics/celebritynews/2091862/Keira-Knightley-to-reprise-Audrey-Hepburn-role-in-My-Fair-Lady-remake.html

I think Knightley will be good. I love the idea of Daniel Day-Lewis as Higgins. A couple years ago, Show People Magazine (such a wonderful publication; such a shame they didn't have the audience to keep going) did a feature where they suggested stars of the screen who would be wonderful in certain roles if the corresponding show were to be revived anytime soon. They suggested Mr. Day-Lewis for Higgins in a My Fair Lady revival. I loved the notion then and I love it now.

It sounds like it's simply a wish of the producers right now, but I hope they offer it to him. And if/when they do, I really hope he doesn't turn this down because he's doing Nine. While I look forward to his Guido, he's much more fitting for Higgins.

Funny about their list of directors because just the other day, I was thinking I would love to see Martin Scorsese do this. If he could make this film half as gorgeous as "The Aviator", it would be stunning. The cinematography will be crucial here, IMO.

I hope they sign Day-Lewis and per somethingwicked's suggestion, I really hope that get Bill Nighy for Dolittle.

MerMaggieGalinda
#128re: New MY FAIR LADY film
Posted: 6/8/08 at 3:33pm

I know Daniel Day-Lewis is an incredible actor, I just can't see him as Higgins...at all. I think Hugh Grant would do a great job. He definitely can pull of that arrogance and self-respect that Higgins has.

H.Higgins Profile Photo
H.Higgins
#129re: New MY FAIR LADY film
Posted: 6/8/08 at 3:41pm

Honestly, the thought of Hugh Grant in this role makes me want to throw up.

MerMaggieGalinda
#130re: New MY FAIR LADY film
Posted: 6/8/08 at 3:43pm

Well, I feel that way about Daniel Day-Lewis.

achangeinme Profile Photo
achangeinme
#131re: New MY FAIR LADY film
Posted: 6/8/08 at 3:50pm

Hugh Grant can't act his way out of a paper bag. I'm really warming up to the idea of Daniel Day-Lewis as Higgins--I hope they can nab him. Ewan McGregor, James Marsden or James McAvoy for Freddie please!

Maybe Knightley will lose her voice and they will have to dub her or, better yet, recast her! re: New MY FAIR LADY film

H.Higgins Profile Photo
H.Higgins
#132re: New MY FAIR LADY film
Posted: 6/8/08 at 3:50pm

I'm sorry. No offense was intended.

I just don't appreciate Hugh Grant as a performer and can't see him doing this role justice. This piece is especially important to me, so I expressed my thoughts on him.

MerMaggieGalinda
#133re: New MY FAIR LADY film
Posted: 6/8/08 at 3:58pm

The piece is also important to me also, and I personally think Hugh Grant would do a much better role of playing Higgins than Daniel Day-Lewis. I know that Day-Lewis is an excellent actor, he does not seem like a Higgins at all to me. Hugh Grant just screams Higgins to me, and I really think he is an underrated actor.

ray-andallthatjazz86 Profile Photo
ray-andallthatjazz86
#134re: New MY FAIR LADY film
Posted: 6/8/08 at 4:14pm

Isn't Freddie supposed to be younger? Ewan McGregor doesn't fit the bill in that case.

"Some people can thrive and bloom living life in a living room, that's perfect for some people of one hundred and five. But I at least gotta try, when I think of all the sights that I gotta see, all the places I gotta play, all the things that I gotta be at"

jewishboy Profile Photo
jewishboy
#135re: New MY FAIR LADY film
Posted: 6/8/08 at 7:23pm

I don't see Hugh Grant as Higgins at all either. Grant is way, way, way too much of a charmer/playboy. Colin Firth is perfect, if not a tad boring. But, if he can pull another Mr. Darcy out of his hat then I would be a happy guy!

EganFan2
#136re: New MY FAIR LADY film
Posted: 6/8/08 at 9:19pm

Yeow. Please, no Ewan McGregor as Freddie. I can't stand his singing and "On the Street Where You Live" is my favorite song in the score.

MerMaggieGalinda
#137re: New MY FAIR LADY film
Posted: 6/8/08 at 9:23pm

I like his voice, but I think he'd be a bad choice for Freddie. James Marsden however, would be perfect.

dayao Profile Photo
dayao
#138re: New MY FAIR LADY film
Posted: 6/8/08 at 9:43pm

If MY FAIR LADY is to be successfully remade as a theatrical film, the producers have to contend with the fact that in the general public's eyes nobody could possibly replace Audrey Hepburn & Rex Harrison from the classic film but the new film can do the one thing that was not done in 1964, eschew the notion of box office stars with questionable music credentials (Kheira Knightley) or actors who can sing but are not physically or vocally right for the role (Anne Hathaway, rather ordinary looking, a good singer but not an operatic quality lyric soprano who could properly execute the high notes as Julie Andrews & Marni Nixon did) being favored over casting the movie with actors who can really sing their parts properly in addition to acting and are physically right for the roles. MY FAIR LADY is such a famous musical now that the show itself is the star and if the movie is cast correctly and made with the same attention to detail and musical integrity of the 1964 film (the superior orchestrations and choral work), it could stand on its own merits and at least have a chance of being compared favorably to the 1964 film. In fact, I would strongly suggest that Andre Previn supervise the music again on this version, if possible. There is no arranger-conductor today who could equal, much less improve, what Previn did with this score in 1964, so why tamper with perfection.

This is who I would cast in the remake, admittedly controversial by even today’s movie standards and maybe moot if Knightley has already been miscast:

Eliza Doolittle: Nadia Bjorlin, a 27 year old American actress-singer who possesses the right combination necessary for a successful remake of MY FAIR LADY: she has a striking beauty similar to Audrey Hepburn in the 1964 film and has a crystal clear lyric soprano voice with sterling high notes fully equal to Julie Andrews in the Broadway original.
Henry Higgins: either Iain Glen or Greg Wise, both superb dramatic actors in their 40’s who have successfully done musicals would make a great Higgins that would be more true to Shaw’s original, a man that might be appealing to women if his obsession with his work, detestable manners and total distrust of anyone but himself did not get in the way. Leslie Howard, the definitive Higgins, was in his mid 40’s when he played the part in the superb 1938 film of the play.
Colonel Pickering: Ian McKellen would be perfect.
Freddy Eynsford-Hill: Stuart Townshend, the right age plus he can sing and more importantly, he fits Shaw’s description of the character perfectly and fulfills the modern need for a ‘hunk’ to essay the role. My current favorite male singer, American opera hunk, James Anest, would also be perfect if he can manage the British accent necessary for the role.
Alfred Doolittle: Geoffrey Hughes, a better fit for this role could not be found than this wonderful British actor who played the similarly inclined “Onslow” on the British TV comedy series, “Keeping Up Appearances”.
Mrs. Pierce: Julia MacKenzie, one of musical theatre’s treasures who deserves to be seen in a major film and would give her usual richly drawn acting performance, as she does in any role and at last we would have a Mrs. Pierce that can actually sing with the chorus as well as her individual vocal contributions.
Mrs. Higgins: Julie Andrews, not only for sentiment, she would be great in the role.
Zoltan Karpathy: Karl Urban or Ioan Gruffudd

"I long-ago realized that this country is a nation of morons, when it comes to knowledge of anything outside, or beyond, pop culture." Steve Slezak

Videos