pixeltracker

The Little Mermaid 6/13/08 Review

The Little Mermaid 6/13/08 Review

defyinggravity42694 Profile Photo
defyinggravity42694
#1The Little Mermaid 6/13/08 Review
Posted: 6/14/08 at 12:53pm

Ok, so I never listen to what critics say about a show, never, so, I decided to get tickets to The Little Mermaid. Soon after I got the tickets videos from the Broadway production showed up on YouTube and I was thinking to myself "Oh No, what have I gotten myself into?!?" But, it wound up being amazing live!

So far this year I have seen...
Curtains
Rent
Xanadu
Wicked
Legally Blonde
and
Wicked (again)

There has been an understudy in each and every one of those shows except for one time, which was the second time I saw Wicked so I was completey ready to expect and understudy in The Little Memaid.

As I was heading the city I thought of who I wouldn't mind seeing as a understudy...

Cicily Daniels as Ursula
or
Alan Mingo Jr. as Sebastien

I got to the City and checked in the theatre before dinner and there was no one on the board.

Low and behold when I returned to the theatre I saw...

At this performance
The Role Of Will be played by
Ursula Cicily Daniels

I'm going to start by saying...
1) I'm so happy Tittus was on because he was amazing!
2) Cicily blew me away and me and my sister (who I saw it with) were sitting next to someone who was seeing the show for the fourth time and she had seen Sherie every other time and she actually said she prefered Cicily over Sherie.

Sierra Boggess was amazing which really goes with out saying.

Sean Palmer was good and played the part well I just feel not enough work didn't go into the character of Prince Eric.

Tyler Manyard and Derrick Baskin were just phenominal!

Norm Lewis was really good I just wish they would have given him more songs.

Cicily Daniels, where should I start? Every time Cicly was on-stage she stole the whole show!

I must say the real highlight of the show was Brian D'Addario as Flounder; this kid is absolutely amazing. I must say I was very suprised during "She's in Love" that Brian's voice has gotten deeper since the cast recording and he also started using some vibrato, he is another one I would love to see have more songs.

As far as the kids go there was really no problem that I could hear, I was in Row D, Side ORCH, Seat 9 (It was completely full view, I doubt that, that theatre has any partial view seats come to think about it). During intermission when I was walking to the back to use the bathroom there were two officers and two ushers talking to a lady who I heard say, "I only had one glass on wine" then when I was walking back one of the people said "I suggest you leave with them".

For the first 5-10 minutes of act two there was this little girl talking in chinese of japanese, some asian language, but it stopped before I got the nerve to tell an usher.

Over all the show was phenominal, and the only thing I thought looked very cheesy was the transition from "If Only (Reprise) the the "Finale".

The stage door was very nice, I got an autogrpah from...
Sierra Boggess
Tyler Manyard
Derrick Basking
Cicly Daniels
Norm Lewis
Tittuss Burgess
John Tracy Egan
Zakiya Young Mizen
and Brian D'Addario

I also took pictures with all of them except for Tyler, and I don't know why, I actually didn't realize untill I was looking back at the photos that I didn't.

Sean Palmer and Eddie Korbich just ran out, and I have no idea about Jonathan Freeman.

I reccomend this show to everyone!

Goodbye
Updated On: 6/14/08 at 12:53 PM

mikeyb16 Profile Photo
mikeyb16
#2re: The Little Mermaid 6/13/08 Review
Posted: 6/14/08 at 1:05pm

I'm glad you enjoyed it. :) What did you think of the Sets and Costumes?

adamgreer Profile Photo
adamgreer
#2re: The Little Mermaid 6/13/08 Review
Posted: 6/14/08 at 1:07pm

Cicily Daniels is on for Ursula this entire weekend (according to broadwayunderstudies.com), in case anyone is interested in catching her performance.

defyinggravity42694
#3re: The Little Mermaid 6/13/08 Review
Posted: 6/14/08 at 1:19pm

mikeyb16, I thought the costumes were good, altohugh the costumes for the dancing eels during "I want the good times back" looked like they were bought at a halloween store, but overall the costumes were very good but I do wish they could of put a little more work into the Sebastien costume.

Overall the sets were very good, the transitions were amzing and everything except the "If Only (reprise)" set was good, the whole "If Only (reprise)" look was just chessy.

adamgreer, thats is very good to know, I don't think I will be able to get back there this week but everyone who can, should, she was amazing and I feel she is 100000x better than Sherie. Also which I wrote before, the girl who was seeing the show for her fourth time who was by me said she prefered Cicly over Sherie. When you say the entire week, do you mean thru this Monday or next Monday?

Goodbye
Updated On: 6/14/08 at 01:19 PM

adamgreer Profile Photo
adamgreer
#4re: The Little Mermaid 6/13/08 Review
Posted: 6/14/08 at 1:35pm

Just this weekend:

"Friday, June 13th - Sunday, June 15th: Cicily Daniels will be playing the role of Ursula in THE LITTLE MERMAID."
Broadway Understudies

lakezurich Profile Photo
lakezurich
#5re: The Little Mermaid 6/13/08 Review
Posted: 6/14/08 at 1:36pm

defyinggravity42694, how can you say Cicily is so much better if you haven't even seen Sherrie?

Rant, Wickud, Rant, Wickud, Rant! We're not gonna pay Rant! 'Cause everythink is Wickud!

"Leave Walt Disney Theatricals new sparkling production of The Little Mermaid on Broadway alone!!!"

lakezurich will be played by Paul Groves in the BWW musical

matty159 Profile Photo
matty159
#6re: The Little Mermaid 6/13/08 Review
Posted: 6/14/08 at 1:37pm

Thanks for the review. You are kind of making me want to add it to my "To See" list for next week!

defyinggravity42694
#7re: The Little Mermaid 6/13/08 Review
Posted: 6/14/08 at 1:45pm

lakezurich, the cast recording

matty159, you should definetely see it!

Goodbye

BroadwayBound86 Profile Photo
BroadwayBound86
#8re: The Little Mermaid 6/13/08 Review
Posted: 6/14/08 at 2:03pm

Bobby Creighton is going on as Scuttle the tonight and tomorrow for anyone who wants to see him do the role before he leaves the show.

Videos