pixeltracker

August: The Magical Minority - spoiler alert

August: The Magical Minority - spoiler alert

bobsyeruncle
#1August: The Magical Minority - spoiler alert
Posted: 6/16/08 at 9:49pm

is it just me or is anyone else sick of seeing the stereotype of the "magical minority" as evident in this play? of course the NATIVE AMERICAN female HAD to stay with the abusive druggie - c'mon. Let that girl walk and give her some balls. I am sure I'll be attacked in some way for this posting but who will remember that actress (can you name her without checking the program?) who played this part??? She was forced into a box and I feel sort of bad for her.
Updated On: 6/16/08 at 09:49 PM

Roscoe
#2re: August: The Magical Minority
Posted: 6/16/08 at 10:11pm

It isn't just you. Others have posted on the topic, I seem to remember, and it is just generally ignored.

I don't think it was as bad as all that. At least she didn't wind up dying so that everybody can get their lives together. And I think it is somewhat helped by the fact that she's clearly shown to be the only person in the play with any sense.

And for the record, she isn't entirely devoid of "balls." She does clock a near total stranger with a frying pan twice when he's engaging in improper behavior.

"If they can get you asking the wrong questions, they don't have to worry about the answers." Thomas Pynchon, GRAVITY'S RAINBOW "Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away." Philip K. Dick My blog: http://www.roscoewrites.blogspot.com/
Updated On: 6/16/08 at 10:11 PM

Caroline-Q-or-TBoo Profile Photo
Caroline-Q-or-TBoo
#2re: August: The Magical Minority
Posted: 6/16/08 at 10:13pm

my favorite part of August was when she did her native ritual dance to eradicate all spirits from the Weston home.

...what were you saying?

"Picture "The View," with the wisecracking, sympathetic sweethearts of that ABC television show replaced by a panel of embittered, suffering or enraged Arab women" -the Times review of Black Eyed

frogs_fan85 Profile Photo
frogs_fan85
#3re: August: The Magical Minority
Posted: 6/16/08 at 10:13pm

Might want to slap a spoiler warning for anyone who may not have seen the show.

BigFatBlonde Profile Photo
BigFatBlonde
#4re: August: The Magical Minority
Posted: 6/16/08 at 10:18pm

I love the play...BUT.. I hear you.

I'm getting TIRED of the "magical" minority.. ESPECIALLY the magical Negro

Check out this Wikipedia entry on the magical Negro:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Magical_negro

What great ones do the less will prattle of

bobsyeruncle
#5re: August: The Magical Minority
Posted: 6/16/08 at 10:28pm

wow, interesting article. thanks.

bobsyeruncle
#6re: August: The Magical Minority
Posted: 6/17/08 at 12:15am

ah yes, the sage is still burning on Broadway.

walkedthroughmany Profile Photo
walkedthroughmany
#7re: August: The Magical Minority
Posted: 6/17/08 at 12:23am

I mean, there is hardly a role in "August" that you couldn't classify as stereotypical in some way. The drug addict...the drunk...the pedophile...the adulterer...the incestuous first cousins from Oklahoma...

thevolleyballer
#8re: August: The Magical Minority
Posted: 6/17/08 at 12:28am

Oh, come on, now. I adore Johnna. She comes out of nowhere with the frying pan and BAM, she immediately goes up in my books. Don't complain for the sake of complaining.

SporkGoddess
#9re: August: The Magical Minority
Posted: 6/17/08 at 1:20am

It's typical for women to stay in those sort of relationships, though. I haven't seen the play so I can't comment on the "magical minority" aspect.

Jimmy, what are you doing here in the middle of the night? It's almost 9 PM!

Videos