A Chorus Line National Tour

LePetiteFromage
Posted: 7/7/08 at 12:43am

Updated On: 5/3/09 at 12:43 AM

Anakela Profile Photo
Anakela
#26re: A Chorus Line National Tour
Posted: 7/7/08 at 1:06am

And since I haven't seen the show since the movie when I was a kid - Is Cassie supposed to forget her hat for the first part of One or did Nikki goof?

It's supposed to go like that, that she has no hat- "One. You're late."

When it was over I couldn't help but think "they have matinee Cassies for that?"

Someone who knows the history of ACL better than I can speak to this, but I thought matinee Cassies was only a Charlotte thing? (As in- did it happen with the original production?) I know there's no matinee Cassie on the tour, but I wasn't sure if there's always been one on Broadway or not.

verynewyorkcurious Profile Photo
verynewyorkcurious
#27re: A Chorus Line National Tour
Posted: 7/7/08 at 2:02am

The original choreography of Music and the Mirror is slightly different than the revival, but I think the duration remains the same. I guess it depends on how each Cassie pulls it off, because it looks pretty tiring to me.

I can't wait to see this though. I was planning an SF trip this month, but that's probably not gonna happen. They will be in Boston sometime in September though. I wouldn't mind taking the bus up to see this.

YouWantitWhen???? Profile Photo
YouWantitWhen????
#28re: A Chorus Line National Tour
Posted: 7/7/08 at 2:14am

I saw it in SF before it transferred to Broadway, and also saw it in LA.

I loved it in SF, and thought the cast was exciting and full of energy.

I saw it in LA, and it was flat, and I was just not that impressed. I saw it for free, and was glad that I did not pay for it in LA. I would have happily paid to see it again in SF.

dancnqn5 Profile Photo
dancnqn5
#29re: A Chorus Line National Tour
Posted: 7/7/08 at 2:59am

I've seen the show many, many times and I was pleasantly surprised by the tour cast. True, some of the vocals were weak (but then again, the original cast weren't all known as singers). But the energy was really high and there were some fresh takes on characters. It might have been the performance I was at, but the choreography didn't seem sloppy. I enjoyed Nikki (she was REALLY sick the night I saw it, so much so she was warning people at the stagedoor), especially after having seen Charlotte. I preferred this production over the Broadway revival cast I saw (I unfortunately saw it after most of the original cast had left and even more unfortunately, fell asleep twice. Which has NEVER happened to me before).

antonijan Profile Photo
antonijan
My Oh My Profile Photo
My Oh My
#31re: A Chorus Line National Tour
Posted: 7/7/08 at 6:00am

I saw the tour in L.A. 4 times and I fully agree that this cast's dancing is much stronger than the Broadway revival cast I saw in SF in 2006. Though the original revival cast's vocals were definitely stronger (except for Charlotte). In fact, the opening combo is so thrillingly done by this cast, I would pay the price of admission just to see that one number. It's actually almost as strong as the Tony Awards performance video on YouTube.

I was extremely impressed by Kevin Santos' Paul. He did indeed make many people around me tear-up after his monologue. Natalie Hall isn't over the top, but her voice is too squeaky at times. I loved Emily's Shiela. She's perfect for the role. Gabrielle Ruiz's Diana had a toughness to her that I liked, but was also sweet and vulnerable at other times. Her voice is great too. Nikki's dancing isn't very strong but her voice and acting are superb.

Recreation of original John Cameron orchestration to "On My Own" by yours truly. Click player below to hear.

Anakela Profile Photo
Anakela
#32re: A Chorus Line National Tour
Posted: 7/10/08 at 11:36pm

Very positive review from the San Francisco Chronicle for the ACL tour- 'wild applause' (their highest rating)-

...Cassie (Nikki Snelson), the girl in the red dress, is as much an iconic figure in American musicals as Momma Rose. And with "The Music and the Mirror," Cassie has her "Rose's Turn." It's the emotional peak of the show (or one of them) and since it was originated by the real woman in Bennett's life, Donna McKechnie, it's been one of show business' toughest acts to follow.

Snelson nails it. She's a good singer, not a great one, but her footwork is sure and, more to the point, she stays in character throughout the entire show, even when Cassie is out of the spotlight. By the time she unleashes her desperation for a job, as well as her pride in knowing, at last, exactly who she is, Snelson is able to bring it all back home because she's told us, with every nuance of her performance, every important detail of Cassie's roller-coaster life.

There are few weak spots in the cast and several absolute standouts. Hall and Santos will make you forget every other Val and Paul you've ever seen. Fletcher, Ian Liberto as Bobby, Anthony Wayne as Richie and Gabrielle Ruiz as Diana are terrific as well...

Theater Review: Strong cast in 'A Chorus Line'

LizzieCurry Profile Photo
LizzieCurry
#33re: A Chorus Line National Tour
Posted: 7/10/08 at 11:37pm

But the Examiner, not so much.
http://www.examiner.com/x-428-SF-Theater-Examiner~y2008m7d10-Chorus-Line-tour-lacks-sizzle

"This thread reads like a series of White House memos." — Mister Matt

COOOOLkid
#34re: A Chorus Line National Tour
Posted: 7/11/08 at 12:47am

I was rather deeply underwhelmed by Kevin Santos' performance of the monologue (as well as by Bryan Knowlton's performance). He was totally "acting" the monologue and it just felt so amateur compared to Jason Tam.

"Hey, you! You're the worst thing to happen to musical theatre since Andrew Lloyd Webber!" -Family Guy

broadwaybelter Profile Photo
broadwaybelter
#35re: A Chorus Line National Tour
Posted: 7/11/08 at 1:29am

I agree with a majority of what has been said, in regards to the problems of this particular reproduction of the revival. The vocals were weak at times; Nikki Snelson was slightly underwhelming during THE MUSIC AND THE MIRROR. The actress who played Val was a bit over the top...though the production is still thrilling to behold live. Updated On: 7/11/08 at 01:29 AM

broadwayrob
#36re: A Chorus Line National Tour
Posted: 7/11/08 at 1:35am

i love the fact that people say the vocals are weak.

these are chorus people from the 1970s. now granted there are exceptions but back then it seems to me that dancing in unison was much more important than an incredible voice

i love me some kelly bishop.. but lets be honest she didn't have the GREATEST voice. but her character shined through and that's the important thing about that show.

anything you do let it come from you and it will be new.

Videos