pixeltracker

Clumsy gets PWNED by Lupone at Gypsy! [6-20-08, 8pm] *Spoilers*

ClumsyDude15 Profile Photo
ClumsyDude15
#1Clumsy gets PWNED by Lupone at Gypsy! [6-20-08, 8pm] *Spoilers*
Posted: 6/23/08 at 2:46am

My friend and I were going to go see Xanadu, but I really wanted to see Gypsy, for many reasons. From not having seeing it and loving the Tony performance to wanting to see Laura Benanti and of course, Lupone! So my friend and I stood in line and got student rush for the show. We were in Orchestra Row K, partial view. I was so psyched to be seeing Lupone in a role that many are calling her finest hour.

After wondering around for a while, which included a stop by the Eugene O' Neil, to check the understudy board for the weekend and witness the cast come in, my friend and I made our way to the St James. I had never been to the St. James, but it's truly a very beautiful theater and the curtain for Gypsy was so lush and beautiful. From our seats, the side of the stage on left was a bit hard to see [Example, we didnt see Laura during her changing into the outfit for her first peformance as Gyspy Rose]However, it didnt matter.

The opening announcement about Patti and her shoes scared the crap of the entire audience because they feared she was out or something, but as soon as the audience realized it, they applauded and laughed.

Patti Lupone had the audience from the moment she walked down the aisle saying: "Sing out Louise!" The audience applauded her so much that the scene stopped for a few moments. Her voice is incredible and she does such an amazing job. "Everything's Coming Roses" was incredible and "Rose's Turn" was too unbelievable for words. The audience stood and she blew kisses and waved for like a good five minutes. It was incredible. TRULY an experience. Her performance truly deserved the Tony and she moved me so many times, that I'm tearing up recalling it. Patti Lupone truly does PWN. :]

Laura Benanti was incredible. Her transformantion from shy second banana to sexy confident woman was wonderful. Her voice was amazing and she truly made me cry when she was confronting Mama Rose during Act Two. Highlights included the innocent "Little Lamb" to the seductive "Gypsy Strip (Let Me Entertain You)" [reprise]. I also loved when they are in the office of Mr. Getsaziger and she goes over to the desk and picked up the phone and said "No" and hung up. Her face when Dainty June ran off with Tulsa, killed me. I use to love Laura just based off The Wedding Singer, but that was NOTHING compared to this. Another deserved Tony win! I also loved her chemistry with Leigh Ann and "If Momma Was Married" was CRRRAAMAZING.

Boyd Gaines killed me. He was so incredible. He and Patti have such incredible chemistry. His voice was so wonderful and he truly made you want Herbie to get Mama Rose to commit and marry him. "Some People" was so adorable, it made me want to get up and hug him. I also loved how he proved to Louise he was not just in it for the entertainment, but because he wanted to love Mama Rose. It truly killed me to watch him leave her during Act Two, he finally stands up to her and loses everything. He broke my heart and he truly deserved the Tony win.

Other highlights included Leigh Ann Larkin as the bitchy, spoiled and resentful Dainty June and Tony Yazbek as Tulsa, who can truly danced and sang up a storm during "All I Need Is The Girl", and looks majorly sexy. Also, Emma Rowley and Sami Gayle as Baby Louise and Baby June, who they both LOOKED just like Leigh Ann and Laura. Alison Fraser as the crazy and hilarious Tessie Tura. I love when Tessie, Electra and Mazeppa sang "You Gotta Get A Gimmick" especially Electra's hilariously amazing costume. I also enjoyed the way how they aged them with the strobe light. So many highlights, it's hard to even speak about them. The show is full of amazing moments and highlights, it was hard to pick the few I listed.

Stage door was pretty crowded. Boyd Gaines and Leigh Ann Larkin could not have been nicer, same with Tony Yazbek, who I told I loved the Broadway.com video, which I had watched that morning. Lupone came out and signed, but no pictures.glitterandjazzhands was across the way from me, she saw Lupone's son and asked him for his autograph on her poster, he politely signed, but it was very awkard. My friend and I felt bad for her, but hey, she has balls to do that. Mad props to her! Emma Rowley was so cute, my friend and I couldn't get over how much she looked like Laura. Laura didn't come out, which made me sad, but it was understandable.

The show is incredible and the cast truly makes it. Lupone, Benanti and Gaines give their all and the ensemble, who plays many many roles work with 125 percent to make it look effortless, when you can tell their working very hard. The show was all I could have imagined and more. I knew this would be the most amazing experience ever and it was. This being my first time seeing Gypsy in any form was an experience, I shall never forget. I couldn't have asked for a more amazing cast that will certainly not have to ask if they "may entertain you" because they will entertain you and bring you to tears.
==========================================================

Pixs:

[Boyd Gaines, myself and my friend]

[Nicole Mangi->"Agnes"]

[Emma Rowley--->"Baby Louise"]

[Leigh Ann Larkin]

[Tony Yazbek]

[LUPONEEEE]

[For glitterandjazzhands] Clumsy gets PWNED by Lupone at Gypsy! [6-20-08, 8pm] *Spoilers*

"Anybody that goes to the theater, I think we’re all misfits, so we ended up on stage or in the audience.” --- Patti LuPone.
Updated On: 6/23/08 at 02:46 AM

LePetiteFromage
Posted: 6/23/08 at 3:19am

Updated On: 5/3/09 at 03:19 AM

logan0215 Profile Photo
logan0215
#2re: Clumsy gets PWNED by Lupone at Gypsy! [6-20-08, 8pm] *Spoilers*
Posted: 6/23/08 at 3:45am

What was the announcement about Patti's shoes?

I love America. Just because I think gay dudes should be allowed to adopt kids and we should all have hybrid cars doesn't mean I don't love America. [turns and winks directly into the camera] - Liz Lemon (Tina Fey) on 30 Rock

LePetiteFromage
Posted: 6/23/08 at 3:47am

Updated On: 5/3/09 at 03:47 AM

ClumsyDude15
#4re: Clumsy gets PWNED by Lupone at Gypsy! [6-20-08, 8pm] *Spoilers*
Posted: 6/23/08 at 3:47am

"What was the announcement about Patti's shoes?"

That she'd be wearing special shoes because she hurt her foot, but not her voice. It was so crazy because it began like an understudy announcement which caused gasps from the audience, including myself.

"Anybody that goes to the theater, I think we’re all misfits, so we ended up on stage or in the audience.” --- Patti LuPone.

Wanna Be A Foster Profile Photo
Wanna Be A Foster
#5re: Clumsy gets PWNED by Lupone at Gypsy! [6-20-08, 8pm] *Spoilers*
Posted: 6/23/08 at 5:26am

I'm so glad you loved it, Clumsy!

"Winning a Tony this year is like winning Best Attendance in third grade: no one will care but the winner and their mom."
-Kad

"I have also met him in person, and I find him to be quite funny actually. Arrogant and often misinformed, but still funny."
-bjh2114 (on Michael Riedel)

thtrbear
#6re: Clumsy gets PWNED by Lupone at Gypsy! [6-20-08, 8pm] *Spoilers*
Posted: 6/23/08 at 9:27am

Does this mean the rush tix arent in the front row anymore?

Dollypop
#7re: Clumsy gets PWNED by Lupone at Gypsy! [6-20-08, 8pm] *Spoilers*
Posted: 6/23/08 at 11:20am

Clumsy certainly likes to use the word "incredible". Incredibly so.

"Long live God!" (GODSPELL)

folkyboy Profile Photo
folkyboy
#8re: Clumsy gets PWNED by Lupone at Gypsy! [6-20-08, 8pm] *Spoilers*
Posted: 6/23/08 at 11:23am

These pics were such fun to look at!

EponineAmneris Profile Photo
EponineAmneris
#9re: Clumsy gets PWNED by Lupone at Gypsy! [6-20-08, 8pm] *Spoilers*
Posted: 6/23/08 at 1:05pm

GREAT review and wonderful pics re: Clumsy gets PWNED by Lupone at Gypsy! [6-20-08, 8pm] *Spoilers*

Thank you for posting!!!

"TO LOVE ANOTHER PERSON IS TO SEE THE FACE OF GOD"- LES MISERABLES--- "THERE'S A SPECIAL KIND OF PEOPLE KNOWN AS SHOW PEOPLE... WE'RE BORN EVERY NIGHT AT HALF HOUR CALL!"--- CURTAINS

heathurrr
#10re: Clumsy gets PWNED by Lupone at Gypsy! [6-20-08, 8pm] *Spoilers*
Posted: 6/23/08 at 1:12pm

"Her face when Dainty June ran off with Tulsa, killed me."

I know, didn't it just break your heart? I gasped out loud. Benanti is perfection.

"As we all should probably have learned by now, to be a Stephen Sondheim fan is to have one's heart broken at regular intervals" - Frank Rich

Dearest, how can this be so? You were dead, you know. - Candide

Oh my god, this show has everything! Half naked guys and girl on girl action! - [title of show]

(My avatar? Why, yes! That is Laura Benanti making out with a chick!)

FOAnatic Profile Photo
FOAnatic
#11re: Clumsy gets PWNED by Lupone at Gypsy! [6-20-08, 8pm] *Spoilers*
Posted: 6/23/08 at 1:17pm

I'm glad you liked the show. Lupone, Gaines and Benanti are powerhouses.

But...this quote kinda weirded me out.

After wondering around for a while, which included a stop by the Eugene O' Neil, to check the understudy board for the weekend and witness the cast come in

You don't think it's a little sketchy hanging out at the Eugene O'Neill to watch the cast arrive?

"I love talking about nothing. It is the only thing I know anything about." - Oscar Wilde

ClumsyDude15
#12re: Clumsy gets PWNED by Lupone at Gypsy! [6-20-08, 8pm] *Spoilers*
Posted: 6/23/08 at 8:35pm

"After wondering around for a while, which included a stop by the Eugene O' Neil, to check the understudy board for the weekend and witness the cast come in

You don't think it's a little sketchy hanging out at the Eugene O'Neill to watch the cast arrive? "

FOAnatic--->I didn't intend to do so, but my friend and I were meeting a friend and sort of just witnessed it happening. I felt soo weird being there like that. Our friend never showed, so I felt like a complete nutcase.

heathurrr---> She's so amazing. I love her even more than I did before. She is just perfect, as you said.

Thanks folkyboy and EponineAmneris

Dollypop---> I love the word incredible. =]

thtrbear---> I got my tickets at like 6pm, so perhaps they had given away the rush for front row. I was just happy to see the show.

AStack75 Profile Photo
AStack75
#13re: Clumsy gets PWNED by Lupone at Gypsy! [6-20-08, 8pm] *Spoilers*
Posted: 6/23/08 at 8:56pm

"I also enjoyed the way how they aged them with the strobe light."

From what I hear, that's a pretty famous scene that has been used in pretty much every Gypsy production and you can even see it in the original movie. But, yeah....I saw the CityCenter production not knowing ANYTHING about Gypsy other than it's about Gypsy Rose Lee. After that strobe light transformation scene, I was like..."WTF just happened!?!?" I love that scene.

sally1112 Profile Photo
sally1112
#14re: Clumsy gets PWNED by Lupone at Gypsy! [6-20-08, 8pm] *Spoilers*
Posted: 6/23/08 at 9:03pm

That's what it's all about!

Glad you had a great time.

MovieGuy1031 Profile Photo
MovieGuy1031
#15re: Clumsy gets PWNED by Lupone at Gypsy! [6-20-08, 8pm] *Spoilers*
Posted: 6/23/08 at 9:21pm

Uhhhhhhhhhh Tony Yazbeck!

Quit being so freaking adorable!

PS - The last pic posted took me a while - I couldn't figure out what I was supposed to be looking at... but then out of the darkness came Spawn of LuPone!

"The nice thing about the rain is that it always stops... eventually."

- Eeyore
Updated On: 6/23/08 at 09:21 PM

ClumsyDude15
#16re: Clumsy gets PWNED by Lupone at Gypsy! [6-20-08, 8pm] *Spoilers*
Posted: 6/23/08 at 9:27pm

"Uhhhhhhhhhh Tony Yazbeck!

Quit being so freaking adorable! "

He is so damn sexy!

AStack75---> I had no idea other than it was about Gypsy Rose as well. I LOVE the aging scene as well. How old are they suppose to be when they are aged?

PalJoey Profile Photo
PalJoey
#17re: Clumsy gets PWNED by Lupone at Gypsy! [6-20-08, 8pm] *Spoilers*
Posted: 6/23/08 at 9:44pm

"I also enjoyed the way how they aged them with the strobe light."

That is part of the genius that was Jerome Robbins.

ILoveMyDictionary Profile Photo
ILoveMyDictionary
#18re: Clumsy gets PWNED by Lupone at Gypsy! [6-20-08, 8pm] *Spoilers*
Posted: 6/23/08 at 9:50pm

"What was the announcement about Patti's shoes?"

That she'd be wearing special shoes because she hurt her foot, but not her voice. It was so crazy because it began like an understudy announcement which caused gasps from the audience, including myself. "

Ohh man. That announcement scared the crap out of me. I saw Gypsy the day of the Tonys so all day I had been praying the three nominated actors would be in it. Then they made the announcement. "Ladies and Gentlemen due to a foot injury Patti LuPone...(uge collective NO!! from the audience)..will be wearing isatoners throughout the show." (Huge collective applause and whitles) It was insane. Glad you liked the show. It's one of my favorites.

And how damn talented are those kids? Children should not be able to do what they do eight freaking times a week.

Laura Benanti blew me away. I couldn't believe she was the same actress who played Julia in The Wedding Singer. I loved her then. I love her even more now.

COOOOLkid
#19re: Clumsy gets PWNED by Lupone at Gypsy! [6-20-08, 8pm] *Spoilers*
Posted: 6/23/08 at 10:34pm

What time did you get to the Box Office for the rush?

"Hey, you! You're the worst thing to happen to musical theatre since Andrew Lloyd Webber!" -Family Guy

ClumsyDude15
#20re: Clumsy gets PWNED by Lupone at Gypsy! [6-20-08, 8pm] *Spoilers*
Posted: 6/23/08 at 11:24pm

"What time did you get to the Box Office for the rush? "

Like 6:00pm.
Because we were originally going to see Xanadu, but I wanted to see Gypsy badly.

------------

ILoveMyDictionary---> Amen to all of that.

Especially the kids!
They are some AAAMAZING kids.
I love the little girl in the balloons. hahaa. =]

defyinggravity42694 Profile Photo
defyinggravity42694
#21re: Clumsy gets PWNED by Lupone at Gypsy! [6-20-08, 8pm] *Spoilers*
Posted: 6/23/08 at 11:44pm

Does Patti takes pictures with fans?

Goodbye

defyinggravity42694 Profile Photo
defyinggravity42694
#22re: Clumsy gets PWNED by Lupone at Gypsy! [6-20-08, 8pm] *Spoilers*
Posted: 6/23/08 at 11:44pm

Does Patti takes pictures with fans?

Goodbye

LePetiteFromage
Posted: 6/23/08 at 11:46pm

Updated On: 5/3/09 at 11:46 PM

ClumsyDude15
#24re: Clumsy gets PWNED by Lupone at Gypsy! [6-20-08, 8pm] *Spoilers*
Posted: 6/24/08 at 12:07am

"Does Patti takes pictures with fans?"

She didnt the night I was there.