College: The Musical

ucjrdude902 Profile Photo
ucjrdude902
#1College: The Musical
Posted: 6/24/08 at 10:49pm

It's playing in Gainesville Florida at The Hippodrome. Anyone here from the Gainesville area see it? I heard it's been playing to sold out crowds.

www.thehipp.org

iluvtheatertrash
#2re: College: The Musical
Posted: 6/25/08 at 1:03am

It's mindless fun. Not really my thing, but it's a good time. They did a really great workshop at my school last winter.

"I know now that theatre saved my life." - Susan Stroman

ray-andallthatjazz86 Profile Photo
ray-andallthatjazz86
#2re: College: The Musical
Posted: 6/25/08 at 1:21am

I can't stand these crappy sort of dumb musicals that the Hipp keeps putting on as their summer musicals. I know the crowd they are aiming for but there are plenty of fun shows that are not COLLEGE: THE MUSICAL.
Next year it's going to be SPELLING BEE, which is definitely a step up this and last year.
I had a chance of getting free tickets to this, but couldn't go, glad to hear it's at least enjoyable. The poster is such a turn off though.

"Some people can thrive and bloom living life in a living room, that's perfect for some people of one hundred and five. But I at least gotta try, when I think of all the sights that I gotta see, all the places I gotta play, all the things that I gotta be at"

whatever2
#3re: College: The Musical
Posted: 6/25/08 at 9:12am

i believe i read this has been selected to perform at the new york musical theater festival this fall.

"You, sir, are a moron." (PlayItAgain)

LiTtLeDaNcEr729 Profile Photo
LiTtLeDaNcEr729
#4re: College: The Musical
Posted: 6/25/08 at 10:20am

I saw it last weekend.

It was fun- just kind of silly. Definitely a mindless musical in which nothing ever REALLY happens. Just a lot of partying and drinking and a semi-storyline.

I enjoyed it, but it isn't anything to celebrate, really.

seventypercentcocoa
#5re: College: The Musical
Posted: 6/25/08 at 12:02pm

I saw parts of this in its formative stages when it was being shown AT a college. Cute, and that's it.

I'm finding I have less and less tolerance for pieces that literally go no where and revolve around inside jokes and examining time-sensitive life experiences as if the composer/writer were the only two to have ever attended college. I mean, we get it - you're witty because you included a bong in a dance number. Good for you.

Now, what was the point again?

I love a good, mindless afternoon or evening (I don't even minds bongs all that much either). But I'm not a supporter of masturbatory musicals which basically show off how witty the creatives think they are and then ultimately go no where.

"It could be worse. You could have majored in TECH theater...then you'd really be poor."

CollegeMusical
#6re: College: The Musical
Posted: 6/25/08 at 1:35pm

Hey guys!

Yes, COLLEGE opened in Gainesville on June 4, and it's been an amazing run! We've had such great audiences. In fact, the show just got extended thru July 7! The show is slated to open at NYMF on September 18, and yes, there was a workshop at Pace this winter (and SUNY Buffalo and Princeton before that). The show continues to evolve with each production, and we're very excited for NYMF this fall.

A facebook page was also just launched with all the information on COLLEGE's productions here: http://www.facebook.com/pages/COLLEGE-The-Musical/54470400703?ref=nf so if anyone's interested, check it out! Also, the info for NYMF is here: http://www.nymf.org/Show-880.html . Thanks, broadwayworlders, for noticing our show!

jennyish Profile Photo
jennyish
#7re: College: The Musical
Posted: 6/25/08 at 1:49pm

Hopefully it's evolved beyond those clips I saw a while ago . . .

I chose, and my world was shaken. So what? The choice may have been mistaken. The choosing was not.

Mark820 Profile Photo
Mark820
#8re: College: The Musical
Posted: 6/25/08 at 3:22pm

I saw it six days after opening night. Frankly, i enjoyed. I see lots of theatre too. Granted its not the best show. The plot is verrrrrry simple. It's a bit cliche. But, most of the songs are actually pretty good. Some are very catchy. The show does drag for a bit and can use a stronger book (just my personal opinion) but, i think its truly a fun show with lots of potential. I will be seeing it again in a week or two. Like i said it's just a fun brainless show.

ucjrdude902 Profile Photo
ucjrdude902
#9re: College: The Musical
Posted: 6/25/08 at 5:10pm

It must be doing something right if it just extended.

Videos