pixeltracker

New musicals we'd love to see get written and produced...

New musicals we'd love to see get written and produced...

Scott Briefer
#1New musicals we'd love to see get written and produced...
Posted: 7/5/08 at 9:04pm

I'd love to direct a musical version of Kinky Boots. It would play at Circle in the Square and brilliantly use the thrust stage for the drag and fashion show sequences. It has incredible potential. Think about it...
Updated On: 7/5/08 at 09:04 PM

Scott Briefer
#2re: New musicals we'd love to see get written and produced...
Posted: 7/5/08 at 9:13pm

I'd also love to see, The Master and Margarita. I know Andrew Lloyd Webber was working on this. I'm glad he's stopped, but I'd still like to see a production realized. It could be extremely magical.

Eris0303 Profile Photo
Eris0303
#2re: New musicals we'd love to see get written and produced...
Posted: 7/5/08 at 9:20pm

I'd love to see someone tackle the canon of M.M. Kaye. Her most famous novel is "The Far Pavilions" but I'm not 100% sure it would work as a musical. "The Ordinary Princess" is a less "sweeping" novel but is probably better for adapting as a musical.

"All our dreams can come true -- if we have the courage to pursue them." -- Walt Disney We must have different Gods. My God said "do to others what you would have them do to you". Your God seems to have said "My Way or the Highway".

MerMaggieGalinda
#3re: New musicals we'd love to see get written and produced...
Posted: 7/5/08 at 9:22pm

I would still love to see Adam Guettel's The Princess Bride. Such potential for a great musical.

LimelightMike Profile Photo
LimelightMike
#4re: New musicals we'd love to see get written and produced...
Posted: 7/5/08 at 9:29pm

A stage musical adaptation of The Far Pavilions was already done. It premiered at The Shaftesbury Theatre in London's West End on April 14th of 2005 and closed in September of the same year. It was budgeted at 4 million pounds. The show's cast featured Hadley Fraser as Ashton, Gayatri Iyer as Anjuli, Kulvinder Ghir as the Rana of Bhithor and Kabir Bedi as Kahn Sahib.

Eris0303 Profile Photo
Eris0303
#5re: New musicals we'd love to see get written and produced...
Posted: 7/5/08 at 9:31pm

See, it didn't work. Looks like "The Ordinary Princess" might be better. re: New musicals we'd love to see get written and produced...

"All our dreams can come true -- if we have the courage to pursue them." -- Walt Disney We must have different Gods. My God said "do to others what you would have them do to you". Your God seems to have said "My Way or the Highway".

Scott Briefer
#6re: New musicals we'd love to see get written and produced...
Posted: 7/5/08 at 9:46pm

4.5+ months isn't a complete failure. Well, I'm sure it didn't profit economically, but it did find an audience, even if only for a short time. What was the critical response?

jeff_thedancer Profile Photo
jeff_thedancer
#7re: New musicals we'd love to see get written and produced...
Posted: 7/5/08 at 10:28pm

I allways wanted to see a green mile musical. a male heavy cast with amazing solos and harmonies. amazing.

and i would love to see a really dark true to life musical about 9/11 and have a haunting score somewhat jrb-ish.

if kinky boots ever did make it...you are so right. circle in the square here it comes. hahah

IAP ALUMNI -Music and Theatre Major Class of 07.

Scott Briefer
#8re: New musicals we'd love to see get written and produced...
Posted: 7/5/08 at 10:32pm

Interesting ideas...

And, yes, Circle in the Square is the perfect space for Kinky Boots. Also, it has so many wonderful opportunities for musical numbers, both intimate and production numbers. Mostly, I'd be the perfect director to realize this project... Anyone listening?

MuppetManiaMan Profile Photo
MuppetManiaMan
#9re: New musicals we'd love to see get written and produced...
Posted: 7/5/08 at 10:33pm

I've actually done drafts for a few of these...
"Waiting For Guffman"
"Connie and Carla"
"Cats Don't Dance"
"Hitchhiker's Guide To the Galaxy"

jeff_thedancer Profile Photo
jeff_thedancer
#10re: New musicals we'd love to see get written and produced...
Posted: 7/5/08 at 10:36pm

Connie and carla would be hilarious!

IAP ALUMNI -Music and Theatre Major Class of 07.

Scott Briefer
#11re: New musicals we'd love to see get written and produced...
Posted: 7/5/08 at 10:37pm

I used to - sometimes still do - envision productions I'd love to see realized or doctored. I do it less often now, but it used to be how I'd spend much of my down time or inner monologue time.

MuppetManiaMan Profile Photo
MuppetManiaMan
#12re: New musicals we'd love to see get written and produced...
Posted: 7/5/08 at 10:42pm

Yeah. I like envisioning them. But I like actually writing them too. I have a bunch of sheet music I've done for "Guffman". Maybe, someday, I will put them to use!

Cutielyricist Profile Photo
Cutielyricist
#13re: New musicals we'd love to see get written and produced...
Posted: 7/5/08 at 11:48pm

Id love to write for kinky boots. I saw it playing in Jackson Hole Wyoming and thought the same thing.

Scott Briefer
#14re: New musicals we'd love to see get written and produced...
Posted: 7/5/08 at 11:52pm

To the theater Gods... Hear our prayers, Kinky Boots at Circle in the Square, directed by Scott Briefer, written by Cutielyricist (substitute given name please).

adamgreer Profile Photo
adamgreer
#15re: New musicals we'd love to see get written and produced...
Posted: 7/5/08 at 11:55pm

With Tim McGeever starring, right? :)

Scott Briefer
#16re: New musicals we'd love to see get written and produced...
Posted: 7/5/08 at 11:59pm

I am amused... perhaps. My understanding he was involved in a show that had a strong focus on drag. Not sure if he did drag though, but there are non-drag roles in Kinky Boots.

Please understand, I am not against Tim McGeever. I just thought he was dreadful Thursday night. AND, I place most of the blame on Roundabout.

Anyway... I am amused that I now have the reputation of the Tim McGeever hater. Curious.

adamgreer Profile Photo
adamgreer
#17re: New musicals we'd love to see get written and produced...
Posted: 7/6/08 at 12:01am

I was just joking around, actually.

Boq101
#18re: New musicals we'd love to see get written and produced...
Posted: 7/6/08 at 12:02am

Im tired of Xanadu only having seven muses and Hercules only having five. It annoys me. I wanna write a musical about the nine muses, it'll be like a mix between Little Women and Bernarda Alba.

Scott Briefer
#19re: New musicals we'd love to see get written and produced...
Posted: 7/6/08 at 12:04am

It's okay. I have a sense of humor.

Eris0303 Profile Photo
Eris0303
#20re: New musicals we'd love to see get written and produced...
Posted: 7/6/08 at 2:29am

The other two muses are in the orchestra re: New musicals we'd love to see get written and produced...

Scripps2 Profile Photo
Scripps2
#21re: New musicals we'd love to see get written and produced...
Posted: 7/6/08 at 5:28am

"What was the critical response?"

Regarding The Far Pavilions, lukewarm to negative:

http://www.thisistheatre.com/londonshows/farpavilions.html

There was a website where you could hear fully orchestrated excerpts from the score but I can't seem to find that now. Updated On: 7/6/08 at 05:28 AM

Weez Profile Photo
Weez
#22re: New musicals we'd love to see get written and produced...
Posted: 7/6/08 at 5:59am

I'm going to keep banging on about a Jack the Ripper musical until one appears that satisfies my longing. After Sweeney and Jekyll, it's the next natural place for my brain to want to go!

Anyway...

myshikobit Profile Photo
myshikobit
#23re: New musicals we'd love to see get written and produced...
Posted: 7/6/08 at 12:38pm

There already was was a Jack the Ripper musical. It was on West End in the seventies. Oh the things you find out while researching flop musicals: there's a plethora of info out there just waiting for you to find it...

Info On Jack the Ripper Musical

"There are only two worthwhile things to leave behind when we depart this world of ours: children and art." -Sunday In The Park With George

toanythingtaboo 2 Profile Photo
toanythingtaboo 2
#24re: New musicals we'd love to see get written and produced...
Posted: 7/6/08 at 1:33pm

i was thinking that a musical set in a supermarket would be fun.

not really sure what the story line could be, but its a nice idea.

oh, or a musical set in an office. i imagined it beginning with a big opening number of the characters going to work on the underground/subway, and the main character being the new girl amongst all the suits.

again, not sure about the story line but i thought it would be funny scene/song if the boss was this absolute sleeze trying to hit on her...but her being totally uninterested.