How is CHICAGO lately?

andreabajita
#1How is CHICAGO lately?
Posted: 7/31/08 at 6:34pm

I was just presented with an opportunity to go see this Saturday's matinee performance of Chicago and I was wondering if anybody had any insight about the show as of late. I have never seen it before and have seen bits of the movie... I know it's not really talked about all too much on the boards (although, correct me if I'm wrong) - just trying to weigh my options, as I already had plans for Saturday. Do you think it's worth seeing? Thanks in advance.

WiCkEDrOcKS Profile Photo
WiCkEDrOcKS
#2re: How is CHICAGO lately?
Posted: 7/31/08 at 6:40pm

Its lost it's spark. It isn't as fun as it used to be and almost seems like a chore to sit through. If you haven't seen it, with all the discounts floating around, I would catch it before it goes, but don't race to get tickets or put it at the top of your list. It's time has come though and it should close soon to make room for something fresher and less labored than what this once sparkling revival has become.

Broadway212 Profile Photo
Broadway212
#2re: How is CHICAGO lately?
Posted: 7/31/08 at 6:42pm

I saw it back in april of this year for the first time and I thought it was ok. I had to go back the next week just to pay more attention. It is nothing like the movie it does not have much Razzale Dazzle left. The movie was much more entertaining. That said I really liked it the second time. I say give it a chance you might like it. It was not that bad.

Mildred Plotka Profile Photo
Mildred Plotka
#3re: How is CHICAGO lately?
Posted: 7/31/08 at 6:43pm

I have not seen the current cast as a whole, but I've seen Michelle DeJean, Tom Wopat, and Carol Woods all separately in their current roles. DeJean tops my list as one of the best Roxie's I've seen. Superb dancer, great actress, and great big classic Broadway belt. Her "Roxie" number is quite genius. Wopat is a solid Billy, though, I'd see him in anything (he was the best thing about the middling A Catered Affair). Woods, who I've seen a few times, isn't a consistent Matron, but I think DeJean and Wopat are reason enough.

And I think Kevin Chamberlin is perfectly cast as Amos. I'd return, and plan on soon enough, just for him.

I'd take the seats. In the dozens of times I've seen Chicago on Broadway and tour, I've never had an awful time. As long as the Roxie is great, in this case she is, I'm fine with other flaws. But looks like you've got a pretty solid cast to see!

"Broadway...I'll lick you yet!"

ljay889 Profile Photo
ljay889
#4re: How is CHICAGO lately?
Posted: 7/31/08 at 6:43pm

I've heard the energy is low. But Michelle DeJean is a sensational Roxie.

Broadway212 Profile Photo
Broadway212
#5re: How is CHICAGO lately?
Posted: 7/31/08 at 6:44pm

The Roxie I saw was amazing she was the best thing in the whole show. She is not in it anymore. And I have not seen the new Roxie.

ljay889 Profile Photo
ljay889
#6re: How is CHICAGO lately?
Posted: 7/31/08 at 6:46pm

Michelle DeJean has been playing Roxie on and off for years now.

Mildred Plotka
#7re: How is CHICAGO lately?
Posted: 7/31/08 at 6:49pm

I'm glad you think so Ljay. DeJean, when I saw her on tour, was one of those "Where the heck has she been hiding?" moments for me.

And why I think it's fine to be uninspired by a particular cast (or their energy, which has been up and down. I saw a particularly messy performance recently), I think comparing the film to the stage production is slightly foolish. They are two different beasts with entirely different concepts. For me, messy or not, that Fosse choreography has my jaw on the floor every time.

COOOOLkid
#8re: How is CHICAGO lately?
Posted: 7/31/08 at 7:25pm

I saw it on the first of this month and I have to say, it was just... lackluster. The cast just didn't have the spark.

I'm not a big fan of this production.

"Hey, you! You're the worst thing to happen to musical theatre since Andrew Lloyd Webber!" -Family Guy

clpdancer
#9re: How is CHICAGO lately?
Posted: 7/31/08 at 7:40pm

It's probably lackluster b/c some of the cast has been there for YEARS AND YEARS. WAY TOO LONG. Get some fresh blood in there!

george95
#10re: How is CHICAGO lately?
Posted: 7/31/08 at 11:13pm

I have to disagree with most of the posts so far (as usual). I saw CHICAGO 10 years ago and absolutely hated it--mostly because I thought all shows were supposed to have a falling chandelier/helicopter on stage/barricades on turntables effect.

But when I gave it a chance last Christmas........wowwwwww was I blown away by it. I don't know what to say about there being a lack of energy on stage. I just really enjoy the music, and how you can watch the musicians play since they're on stage--I just really like that.

And the choreography just gets me every time. When I saw it last Christmas I couldn't believe how many dance moves I recognized just from advertisments and posters and stuff like that. I think the cast does a great job.....but again, if you go in there thinkin "man this show has been here since 1996, I bet it's tired and lots its spark" then that's what you're going to think even if the actors drank a case of Red Bull before the show. Give it a chance, and don't think about how old it is.

CJR
#11re: How is CHICAGO lately?
Posted: 7/31/08 at 11:34pm

Actually, there are only 3 "original" revival cast members still in the production. Basically everyone else is a "fresh new face."

DeJean is still currently Roxie and she is a phenom in her own right. Really, a force to be reckoned with. Love love LOVE her Roxie. Definitely my favorite (and I've seen a hell of a lot of Roxies!)

"You're every gay man's wet dream!" ~ MA

If in Heaven you don't excel, you can always party down in hell...

DaintyJack
#12re: How is CHICAGO lately?
Posted: 8/1/08 at 12:05am

...less labored than what this once sparkling revival has become...

who IS this guy!??!?!?!?!

WiCkEDrOcKS Profile Photo
WiCkEDrOcKS
#13re: How is CHICAGO lately?
Posted: 8/1/08 at 12:11am

Seriously? What the hell...?

#14re: How is CHICAGO lately?
Posted: 8/1/08 at 12:18am

Michelle DeJean was fantastic! As was Kevin Chamberlin. I enjoyed this production much more than the cast i saw on tour a few years back.

Mildred Plotka
#15re: How is CHICAGO lately?
Posted: 8/1/08 at 12:26am

Jack, you're entitled to your opinion. But a nasty rebuttal of someone's post you didn't enjoy feels more like a cheap shot than a disagreement.

DaintyJack
#16re: How is CHICAGO lately?
Posted: 8/1/08 at 12:35am

It just made me laugh to picture someone who wakes up at 4 to get student rush, wearing a show shirt and cap carrying a Lion King tote saying "It's time has come though and it should close soon to make room for something fresher and less labored than what this once sparkling revival has become." to a tourist who happened to ask about it.

Love it!!!!

Mildred Plotka
#17re: How is CHICAGO lately?
Posted: 8/1/08 at 12:41am

Nothing wrong with a nice decorative Broadway tote!

Videos