Help! Im Confused!

broadwaygirl99 Profile Photo
broadwaygirl99
#1Help! Im Confused!
Posted: 8/7/08 at 10:44pm

Hey! I need help and i have a couple questions. I really want to see Hair with Christopher J Hanke and i am confused on how to get tickets. Post any helpful websites for tickets here! So my questions are:

1: Are the tickets free?
2: Do you have to get there really early to get good tickets or any at all?
3: Is the theater outside and what are the worse seats? What seats does it start to get bad?

I need to answers soon cause i really want to see it and i want to know how.

jordangirl Profile Photo
jordangirl
#2re: Help! Im Confused!
Posted: 8/7/08 at 11:52pm

Almost all info can be found on http://www.publictheater.org (Or Google Shakespeare in the Park for other sites with other tips.)

But...

1. Unless you want to pay a $150 "donation" to secure a ticket...assuming there are even any of those left...they are free. Only your time is taken. No money.

2. The earliness seems to vary with little to no rhyme or reason. Some people have gotten there after 10am on some days and been fine. Other days the cut off was 8am or earlier. If you MUST see it, I'd err on the side of earlier. Think of it as a weird summer camp. LOL.

3. The theatre is outside. You don't get a choice in where your seats are. You get the tickets they give you.

edit: From jaystar's post, apparently the "donation" is $165

Experience live theater. Experience paintings. Experience books. Live, look and listen like artists! ~ imaginethis
LIVE THAT LESSON!!!!!!
Updated On: 8/8/08 at 11:52 PM

casualtyofLoVe
#2re: Help! Im Confused!
Posted: 8/9/08 at 9:23pm

I don't know if this has been answered yet, but I've been searching and searching and I can't seem to find the answer. How long is Hair? If the show starts at 8:00, when will it end?

verynewyorkcurious Profile Photo
verynewyorkcurious
#3re: Help! Im Confused!
Posted: 8/9/08 at 9:26pm

Walked out around 10:36

casualtyofLoVe
#4re: Help! Im Confused!
Posted: 8/9/08 at 9:51pm

Okay thank you!

dramamama611 Profile Photo
dramamama611
#5re: Help! Im Confused!
Posted: 8/9/08 at 10:34pm

I just went on Tuesday. We were out all night anyway...so we just headed over to the park and got there around 5:30am. We were approximately 20th in line.

WHERE you are in line has no bearing on where you sit...it is totally random. It is stage really well, so I doubt there are any truly "bad" seats.

I would think that as long as you are there by 7am you should land tix. It's worth it. I'm actually considering going a second time....but we'll see.

I haven't heard of anyone having luck with "virtual tix" so I would avoid trying.

Definitely bring something to sit on and something to do....it's a long wait!!!

If we're not having fun, then why are we doing it? These are DISCUSSION boards, not mutual admiration boards. Discussion only occurs when we are willing to hear what others are thinking, regardless of whether it is alignment to our own thoughts.

jordangirl Profile Photo
jordangirl
#6re: Help! Im Confused!
Posted: 8/9/08 at 10:41pm

Oh yeah, and also check the weather. If it's remotely cool, take a blanket and/or jacket. Last year when I was waiting for A Midsummer Night's Dream it got downright cold and my blanket for sitting on ended up doubling as a foot and back cover.

Experience live theater. Experience paintings. Experience books. Live, look and listen like artists! ~ imaginethis
LIVE THAT LESSON!!!!!!

jaystarr Profile Photo
jaystarr
#7re: Help! Im Confused!
Posted: 8/9/08 at 11:37pm

Yup. The Donation (Summer Supporter~that's how they call it) is $165.00 (for 1 ticket)~flat no processing fee~that's it! I made my donations Friday morning (gave them my 1st choice which is 8/16) and they call me Saturday to confirm that I have a RESERVED SEATS (not a ticket, okay?) Its usually 2 days from the day of your donation ( I am sorry I posted wrong info. before- I thought 2 days from your prefered dates)

You have to be at the Delacorte Theater from 4-7 pm to pick up your TICKETS. If it rain, they will re-schedule you again. If for somehow..it keeps raining and you end-up not using any reserved seat(s) you can ask for a refund of your donation. Again the donation is not the price of the ticket~ the ticket is a token of their appreciation for donating money to the Public Theater. Also donating does not guarantees you a good seat- you might end- up siting at the back. Everyone gets a FAIR chance n sitting at Public Theater whether you fall in line or donate money!

They set aside certain numbers for summer supporters and certain numbers for FREE tickets. They give more FREE tickets than reserved. I just happen to be lucky that there's an availability this coming Saturday! I donated $330.00 for two reserved seating and its tax-deductable!

Per Public Theater- they advised the Summer Supporter Program for non-new yorkers that would travel just too see the show! for a guarantee reserved seating based on your 3 prefered dates!

J*

Updated On: 8/9/08 at 11:37 PM

Videos