pixeltracker

Sondheim responds about the reduced Orchestra for SUNDAY...

Sondheim responds about the reduced Orchestra for SUNDAY...

ljay889 Profile Photo
ljay889
#1Sondheim responds about the reduced Orchestra for SUNDAY...
Posted: 8/23/08 at 1:31pm

This is very interesting. First read the original article in the Times from Aug 13. It's all about orchestrations.

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/08/17/theater/17elli.html?ref=arts

What happened? Were the producers too cheap to allow six more instruments into the theater? “It was part of a particular artistic concept the director had,” said Todd Haimes, Roundabout’s artistic director. “The show had been in a small theater in London. Then when it came over here, Steve Sondheim was asked if he was happy with the way it sounded. He said yes, so there was never a discussion about increasing the size. If he had said, ‘No, it can’t come to New York unless there are 11 musicians,’ we probably would have accommodated that.”

And here is Sondheim's reply from today, Aug 22

Like everybody else, as Ms. Elliott reports, I deplore the downsizing of orchestras, but I understand the economics. If I had thought for one minute that Roundabout, a nonprofit company, could afford 11 players for the revival of “Sunday in the Park With George,” I’d have asked for them. After reading in Ms. Elliott’s article that Todd Haimes, the company’s artistic director, would have given them to me, I’ll know better the next time we work together (which, I hasten to add, I hope will be soon).

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/08/24/arts/24alsmail-ORCHESTRATIO_LETTERS.html?_r=1&ref=arts&oref=slogin

So hopefully this now means Sondheim will ask for a beefier orchestra for MERRILY.
Updated On: 8/23/08 at 01:31 PM

BustopherPhantom Profile Photo
BustopherPhantom
#2re: Sondheim responds about the reduced Orchestra for SUNDAY...
Posted: 8/23/08 at 1:50pm

Oh please, Mr. Sondheim, get yourself a proper orchestra for MERRILY. Don't settle for the nightclub orchestrations of the 1994 revival.

"Y'know, I think Bertolt Brecht was rolling in his grave."
-Nellie McKay on the 2006 Broadway production of The Threepenny Opera, in which she played Polly Peachum
Updated On: 8/23/08 at 01:50 PM

Wanna Be A Foster Profile Photo
Wanna Be A Foster
#2re: Sondheim responds about the reduced Orchestra for SUNDAY...
Posted: 8/23/08 at 1:59pm

Go Sondheim.

"Winning a Tony this year is like winning Best Attendance in third grade: no one will care but the winner and their mom."
-Kad

"I have also met him in person, and I find him to be quite funny actually. Arrogant and often misinformed, but still funny."
-bjh2114 (on Michael Riedel)

frontrowcentre2 Profile Photo
frontrowcentre2
#3re: Sondheim responds about the reduced Orchestra for SUNDAY...
Posted: 8/23/08 at 2:24pm

I remember how thrilling that blast of brass was in the opening bars of the Overture to MERRILY in the Alvin in 1981. Even the cast album didn't quite capture it fully. But the reductions heard on Varese and JAY are pale immitations.

Cast albums are NOT "soundtracks."
Live theatre does not use a "soundtrack." If it did, it wouldn't be live theatre!

I host a weekly one-hour radio program featuring cast album selections as well as songs by cabaret, jazz and theatre artists. The program, FRONT ROW CENTRE is heard Sundays 9 to 10 am and also Saturdays from 8 to 9 am (eastern times) on www.proudfm.com

TooDarnHot Profile Photo
TooDarnHot
#4re: Sondheim responds about the reduced Orchestra for SUNDAY...
Posted: 8/24/08 at 1:45am

Roscoe Roscoe Roscoe!

Ya gotta read this stuff, sweetheart.

it's right down your alley...

Byron Abens
#5re: Sondheim responds about the reduced Orchestra for SUNDAY...
Posted: 8/24/08 at 2:06am

As exciting as those brass sections are on the original Merrily recording, I think the part that always gets me are those descending timpani notes used in in the 79-75 Merrily transition. Something about the sound of a timpani has always intrigued me, I can't tell you what it is.

I just wish I had been old enough to have seen the original production. Hopefully there will be a decent revival of it someday soon.

Smaxie Profile Photo
Smaxie
#6re: Sondheim responds about the reduced Orchestra for SUNDAY...
Posted: 8/24/08 at 7:35am

The original Merrily sounded great, but believe me, it was nothing to look at. Eugene Lee's giant metal erector set would reconfigure into different shapes, all of them ugly. And the remains of Judith Dolan's costumes were in bright garish 80s colors... pinks, purples, reds, all clashing with each other. The score worked, some very funny George Furth one liners and I didn't find the backwards time frame confusing, but you didn't start caring about the characters until midway through Act Two (I think the revision has really helped in this regard, although it's still a problem that you meet the characters at their absolute worst). Lonny Price, Ann Morrison, Jason Alexander and Terry Finn were all pretty memorable, though.

Begin at the beginning and go on till you come to the end: then stop.
Updated On: 8/24/08 at 07:35 AM

My Oh My Profile Photo
My Oh My
#7re: Sondheim responds about the reduced Orchestra for SUNDAY...
Posted: 8/24/08 at 8:20am

Truly depressing what they're doing to Broadway orchestras nowadays. Loved Sondheim's response.

Recreation of original John Cameron orchestration to "On My Own" by yours truly. Click player below to hear.

Smaxie Profile Photo
Smaxie
#8re: Sondheim responds about the reduced Orchestra for SUNDAY...
Posted: 8/24/08 at 8:33am

It's actually gotten a bit better of late, what with Young Frankenstein having opened with a 25 piece orchestra, Gypsy with 25, South Pacific with 30 and this coming season's West Side Story with 30. Of the long runners, Wicked, The Lion King and Phantom of the Opera all have proper orchestras of over 20. I hope people realize what they've been missing.

Roundabout has had bigger orchestras at Studio 54, including 13 pieces for Assassins. At the time, I didn't really understand why they didn't go with the original 11 for Sunday, but figured it was a creative decision to keep the sound intimate. Guess not!

Begin at the beginning and go on till you come to the end: then stop.
Updated On: 8/24/08 at 08:33 AM

RentBoy86
#9re: Sondheim responds about the reduced Orchestra for SUNDAY...
Posted: 8/24/08 at 12:28pm

But Smaxie, it was. Didn't it say the director wanted a smaller, intimate sound to go with the smaller show? It made sense to me, and I never for once thought "wow, this show needs a bigger orchestra." I loved that you only heard the strings and the piano. Every time I heard the chord that they play throughout the show, I get chills.

K8eeyore
#10re: Sondheim responds about the reduced Orchestra for SUNDAY...
Posted: 8/24/08 at 9:42pm

I loved the part about Starobin still being 'six elevenths' responsible for the orchestrations. Only Sondheim would think of being that precise!

RuprechtJr.
#11re: Sondheim responds about the reduced Orchestra for SUNDAY...
Posted: 8/24/08 at 9:52pm

Some of the frills that Starobin added are still in the newer orchestrations, so the new orchestrator did "steal" some of Starobins work. It would be ok if the frills were in Sondheim's score, but since they were added by Starobin it becomes a little less creative to me to just copy and paste them.

heathurrr
#12re: Sondheim responds about the reduced Orchestra for SUNDAY...
Posted: 8/24/08 at 9:53pm

"Oh please, Mr. Sondheim, get yourself a proper orchestra for MERRILY. Don't settle for the nightclub orchestrations of the 1994 revival."

... and that perfectly summs up my thoughts. Especially the last part!

"As we all should probably have learned by now, to be a Stephen Sondheim fan is to have one's heart broken at regular intervals" - Frank Rich

Dearest, how can this be so? You were dead, you know. - Candide

Oh my god, this show has everything! Half naked guys and girl on girl action! - [title of show]

(My avatar? Why, yes! That is Laura Benanti making out with a chick!)

je veux te voir2 Profile Photo
je veux te voir2
#13re: Sondheim responds about the reduced Orchestra for SUNDAY...
Posted: 8/24/08 at 10:06pm

I'm so happy that the issue of downsizing orchestras is finally being addressed a lot more nowadays. It's been going on for years. For a lot of revivals at Wolf Trap in DC and many other areas in the DC area, there has been a huge uprise in the musician community because the theaters have been using tracks or keyboards that immitate an orchestra. It is a huge travesty. People must never forget that musical theatre is just as important to the musicians as it is to the actors and ensemble on stage. It is a absolutely great employment opportunity. And when we musicians study ever since childhood on our primary instruments and then also learn multiple other instruments in order to get pit orchestra gigs, it is downright horrendous for theaters to start to use tracks because it saves a few bucks.

Not to mention it sounds absolutely awful and completely obvious when they use keyboards or tracks. lol.

Roscoe
#14re: Sondheim responds about the reduced Orchestra for SUNDAY...
Posted: 8/25/08 at 9:28am

I'm curious about Sondheim's reaction. Did he want more musicians for the SUNDAY Revival? I thought he was okay with that atrocious travesty of his work, sorry, brilliant re-imagining. If he wasn't okay with it, why did he allow it in the first place?

"If they can get you asking the wrong questions, they don't have to worry about the answers." Thomas Pynchon, GRAVITY'S RAINBOW "Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away." Philip K. Dick My blog: http://www.roscoewrites.blogspot.com/

My Oh My Profile Photo
My Oh My
#15re: Sondheim responds about the reduced Orchestra for SUNDAY...
Posted: 8/25/08 at 9:32am

^ Apparently, he wasn't aware of it. Which I also doubt. And a travesty it is.

Recreation of original John Cameron orchestration to "On My Own" by yours truly. Click player below to hear.

CouldaWouldaShoulda Profile Photo
CouldaWouldaShoulda
#16re: Sondheim responds about the reduced Orchestra for SUNDAY...
Posted: 8/25/08 at 11:45am

The man's a genius.

"A well-rounded performer will listen to all kinds of music. I like classical, Middle Eastern, and rock a lot." -- Patti LuPone

Ryan4
#17re: Sondheim responds about the reduced Orchestra for SUNDAY...
Posted: 8/25/08 at 3:01pm

I thought the small orchestra sounded great when I saw "Sunday..." and was surprised at how much sound they made for so few musicians. I thought the orchestrations were beautifully done and should have beaten "In the Heights" for the Tony.

#18re: Sondheim responds about the reduced Orchestra for SUNDAY...
Posted: 8/25/08 at 7:19pm

I'm also happy that the issue of downsizing orchestras is getting addresses.

I didn't like the somewhat empty orchestration. But regardless of whether it was liked or not, the broadway community extends to the musicians too.

To the musicians, its like if instead of using live actors they used holograms or video of past actors. lol...The musicians deserve better and this really shouldn't become a trend or the musicians union is going to have a huge revolt.