"Company" Character Question...

MTVMANN Profile Photo
MTVMANN
#1"Company" Character Question...
Posted: 8/24/08 at 7:46pm

A theatre in my area is going to be doing "Company". I am very familiar with the music and pretty familiar with the characters. I'm 25 (but look and play younger), 5'7", 145lbs and white.

I'm guessing my best bet would be to go for Paul (Amy's husband-to-be) right? I know he (and Amy) is the youngest of the couples, but I'm not quite sure if he is supposed to be younger than Bobby. Anyone know?

insertclevernamehere Profile Photo
insertclevernamehere
#2re: 'Company' Character Question...
Posted: 8/24/08 at 7:54pm

I don't think they ever revealed his age, but Paul always seemed the youngest of the men to me.

Oh, and I almost forgot to mention...I'm the good cop, he's the bad cop.

regnad kcin Profile Photo
regnad kcin
#2re: 'Company' Character Question...
Posted: 8/24/08 at 8:07pm

Paul and Amy could definitely be the youngest, but Jenny and David also seemed quite young. However, I think Paul is a more-stand out role. He's basically the straight man to Amy's comedy, but the comedy isn't a routine; the scene is hard because it's got to heartbreaking, hilarious and finally, fill the audience member with relief.

#3re: 'Company' Character Question...
Posted: 8/24/08 at 8:54pm

Do you need to chose the part? I'd go in and say "I'd play any part you thought I was right for....Sir."

Phyllis Rogers Stone
#4re: 'Company' Character Question...
Posted: 8/24/08 at 9:11pm

I always assumed that Harry and Sarah and Joanne and Larry were the older couples (40s-50s) and that the remaining couples were in their thirties.

heathurrr
#5re: 'Company' Character Question...
Posted: 8/24/08 at 9:25pm

I also agree that Paul is on the younger end of the age ranges of the Company characters.
And, I wish you the best! Company would be a great play to do.

"As we all should probably have learned by now, to be a Stephen Sondheim fan is to have one's heart broken at regular intervals" - Frank Rich

Dearest, how can this be so? You were dead, you know. - Candide

Oh my god, this show has everything! Half naked guys and girl on girl action! - [title of show]

(My avatar? Why, yes! That is Laura Benanti making out with a chick!)

CurtainPullDowner Profile Photo
CurtainPullDowner
#6re: 'Company' Character Question...
Posted: 8/24/08 at 9:35pm

What does being white have to do with anything?

scaryclowns223 Profile Photo
scaryclowns223
#7re: 'Company' Character Question...
Posted: 8/24/08 at 9:41pm

I saw a local production of 'Company' where Sarah and Harry were both very young- newlyweds actually. It probably wasn't the best choice (because a lot of Harry's dialogue suggests that he's quite a bit older- things like business trips, etc) but thats not the point. The point is that if the person playing your wife also looks young, then it is perfectly fine. Age is never explicitly specified, except for Larry, Joanne, and Bobby. Just go in and read and sing well and they should be able to fit you in.

SweeneyPhanatic
#8re: 'Company' Character Question...
Posted: 8/24/08 at 9:51pm

Amy says she's 31; I'd imagine Paul to be at least her age or a year older. I've always seen them as (from oldest couple to youngest):
--Larry and Joanne
--Harry and Sarah
--Peter and Susan
--Paul and Amy
--David and Jenny

Though Harry/Sarah and Peter/Susan could be about the same age as Robert if not a few years older. Then again, this is just what I saw when watching the 2006 revival, so who knows?

-- SDG

Videos