If RENT is capable of closing?

Scarywarhol Profile Photo
Scarywarhol
#1If RENT is capable of closing?
Posted: 9/4/08 at 7:47pm

Does that mean that Wicked might close someday!?

LittleTvSets
#2re: If RENT is capable of closing?
Posted: 9/4/08 at 7:51pm

I'm HOPING!!!

BustopherPhantom Profile Photo
BustopherPhantom
#2re: If RENT is capable of closing?
Posted: 9/4/08 at 7:53pm

Absolutely. And forty years from now, when it does, we can ask "If WICKED is capable of closing, does that mean that PHANTOM might close someday!?"

"Y'know, I think Bertolt Brecht was rolling in his grave."
-Nellie McKay on the 2006 Broadway production of The Threepenny Opera, in which she played Polly Peachum

Drunk Chita Rivera Profile Photo
Drunk Chita Rivera
#3re: If RENT is capable of closing?
Posted: 9/4/08 at 7:55pm

Yes, I hope you know you are going to get bashed. What does Rent have to do with Wicked? And all shows have to close someday.

skibumb5290 Profile Photo
skibumb5290
#4re: If RENT is capable of closing?
Posted: 9/4/08 at 7:57pm

every show will close. After 5 years on broadway RENT was not selling out every show three months in advance. Phantom will close it the next five years i believe. and wicked will eventually surpass phantom for the longest show on broadway

Drunk Chita Rivera
#5re: If RENT is capable of closing?
Posted: 9/4/08 at 7:59pm

Wicked will die out within the next 5 years. It will not stay open that long. Wicked is not nearly as good as you think it is.

BustopherPhantom
#6re: If RENT is capable of closing?
Posted: 9/4/08 at 8:00pm

Wicked will die out within the next 5 years. It will not stay open that long. Wicked is not nearly as good as you think it is.

obvious statement #22: Since when has quality determined long runs?

-Nellie McKay on the 2006 Broadway production of The Threepenny Opera, in which she played Polly Peachum

Drunk Chita Rivera
#7re: If RENT is capable of closing?
Posted: 9/4/08 at 8:02pm

I never said that. That was two different sentences.

skibumb5290 Profile Photo
skibumb5290
#8re: If RENT is capable of closing?
Posted: 9/4/08 at 8:05pm

well just wait 5 years and I guarantee wicked will still be selling out every performance at least 1 month in advance something Phantom and Rent never did

Drunk Chita Rivera
#9re: If RENT is capable of closing?
Posted: 9/4/08 at 8:06pm

I doubt that.

wicked_beast4 Profile Photo
wicked_beast4
#10re: If RENT is capable of closing?
Posted: 9/4/08 at 8:07pm

Maybe, but Phantom still has a full audience every show. Sold out, no, but still full. This is after, what is it, 20 years? That is something Wicked will NEVER do. I may like Wicked, but I know its limitations.

"He found something that he wanted, had always wanted and always would want— not to be admired, as he had feared; not to be loved, as he had made himself believe; but to be necessary to people, to be indispensable." -F. Scott Fitzgerald's This Side of Paradise
Updated On: 9/4/08 at 08:07 PM

LittleTvSets
#11re: If RENT is capable of closing?
Posted: 9/4/08 at 8:10pm

^ Wicked_beast, you're right!!

Wicked couldn't last 20 years!!

Not even close!

toanythingtaboo 2 Profile Photo
toanythingtaboo 2
#12re: If RENT is capable of closing?
Posted: 9/4/08 at 8:13pm

Wicked will easily become one of the longest running shows.

It COULD reach Phantom level, its still selling out every night, has productions all over the place also doing well and has a hardcore fan base that won't just 'grow out of it'.

I imagine what will happen in coming years is;

a few more European productions will open, and/or they'll have a european tour.

current productions, such as Chicago and LA will relocate and start the process over again. They're doing it with San Fransisco, probably only a matter of time before there's a Las Vegas production.

London may continue for a few more years, then tour...that will be successful, so maybe they'll repeat the process or just go back to London.

I dare say more shows will open all over the place. China for instance.

It's safe to say that Wicked will in no way be gone any time soon, when the hype dies down or tickets dwindle, they'll just retreat back to Broadway and close other productions. They wouldn't close Broadway before the others close.

It will overtake Rent, but I'm not sure it will beat out Les Mis and Phantom, though theres a good chance it might.

NGD2225 Profile Photo
NGD2225
#13re: If RENT is capable of closing?
Posted: 9/4/08 at 8:15pm

Phantom will close it the next five years i believe. and wicked will eventually surpass phantom for the longest show on broadway
-----------------------------------------

Phantom still is nearly selling out every show AFTER 20 YEARS!!! I see Wicked to be like RENT it will have a good run but will close. I give Wicked a 10 year run.

toanythingtaboo 2
#14re: If RENT is capable of closing?
Posted: 9/4/08 at 8:21pm

We're forgetting that its 5 years out already. The film won't be released for another 3 or 4 years.

Thats basically already at 10 years running by this point.

The film will be huge no doubt, judging by the fact Hairspray/Mamma Mia were incredibly successful considering they are musicals, and neither have the hardcore following or success that Wicked has.

Following the film, it can probably last another 3 years just from regained hype.

Seeing as all productions will have recouped by then, the show can continue plodding along for a while without causing major drama.

I feel it has 15+ years. Maybe not 20, but I doubt people thought Phantom was going to last that long. Or Les Mis.
Updated On: 9/4/08 at 08:21 PM

Drunk Chita Rivera
#15re: If RENT is capable of closing?
Posted: 9/4/08 at 8:25pm

Mama Mia has been around for about 7 pr 8 years and it's still selling out. And the movie will probably suck.

It's sad that if your prediction is true it will pass probably one of the greatest shows, A Chorus Line.

NGD2225 Profile Photo
NGD2225
#16re: If RENT is capable of closing?
Posted: 9/4/08 at 8:28pm

The film will be huge no doubt, judging by the fact Hairspray/Mamma Mia were incredibly successful considering they are musicals, and neither have the hardcore following or success that Wicked has.
------------------------------------
Yeah but RENT did have those fans. Guess what happened? BOMB, it is all about how it's done & with who. Without knowing either you can't say that the movie will be good.

LittleTvSets
#17re: If RENT is capable of closing?
Posted: 9/4/08 at 8:32pm

Off topic question.

Should I bring earplugs to Wicked Chicago Closing?

Not Broadway, but when I went on a Wensday Mat in early March (2nd or 3rd) of 2006, I needed them. Updated On: 9/4/08 at 08:32 PM

wicked_beast4
#18re: If RENT is capable of closing?
Posted: 9/4/08 at 8:34pm

There is no doubt that Wicked will last that long. However, it will never surpass Phantom. Phantom still nearly sells out nightly, and will not be going anywhere soon.

"He found something that he wanted, had always wanted and always would want— not to be admired, as he had feared; not to be loved, as he had made himself believe; but to be necessary to people, to be indispensable." -F. Scott Fitzgerald's This Side of Paradise

BustopherPhantom
#19re: If RENT is capable of closing?
Posted: 9/4/08 at 8:35pm

If anything is going to kill PHANTOM, it'll be the sequel.

wicked_beast4
#20re: If RENT is capable of closing?
Posted: 9/4/08 at 8:36pm

Ah, yes. Sex dolls and opera houses do not a successful musical make.

NGD2225 Profile Photo
NGD2225
#21re: If RENT is capable of closing?
Posted: 9/4/08 at 8:37pm

^Totally. If ALW tries to close Phantom for it's ****ty sequel, I may leap across the ocean & strangle him.

toanythingtaboo 2
#22re: If RENT is capable of closing?
Posted: 9/4/08 at 8:42pm

Wicked and Rent can't really be compared in terms of hype and success.

Wicked is viewed as a global cultural phenomenon, whilst Rent was more die hard fans and a hit Broadway show.

The film adaption of Rent bombed because it had no names attached to it, barely any promotion (I don't remember seeing much at all) and lets face it, wasn't going to get any artistic praise.

I didn't say whether Wicked (film) was going to be any good or not, I'm saying it will be successful. Which it will. It's backed by Universal, so we know the production will be top notch and its going to have 'names' thrown at it left, right and centre.

The film could be awful, but it will still be one of the biggest movies of the year.

LittleTvSets
#23re: If RENT is capable of closing?
Posted: 9/4/08 at 8:42pm

NGD, I thought you were in the US.

"Ah, yes. Sex dolls and opera houses do not make a successful musical."

I learned that the HARD way!! Never again!

NGD2225 Profile Photo
NGD2225
#24re: If RENT is capable of closing?
Posted: 9/4/08 at 8:46pm

I am, but ALW lives in London.

Videos