Fire at Nederlander Theatre

fallingapril
#1Fire at Nederlander Theatre
Posted: 9/5/08 at 6:09pm

I'm not sure of the details as I am not in the city, but apparently there was a fire at the Nederlander theatre this evening. Just a fire on the roof, from what my friend (who was trying to do lotto) could understand, but there are fire trucks and they weren't letting anyone close to the theatre.

If you were/are planning on attending RENT tonight, you might want to find out if the show is actually going to be performed, or if they have to shut down tonight because of the fire.

Just a quick PSA, courtesy of harbek.

antiandrewx Profile Photo
antiandrewx
#2re: Fire at Nederlander Theatre
Posted: 9/5/08 at 6:14pm

The fire trucks are still in front of the theatre. (Per a friend who is at lotto right now - which still hasn't happened.)
Updated On: 9/5/08 at 06:14 PM

SirNotAppearing Profile Photo
SirNotAppearing
#2re: Fire at Nederlander Theatre
Posted: 9/5/08 at 6:20pm

Oh MY GOD GOODBYE LOVE!!!!!

stupidbeans
#3re: Fire at Nederlander Theatre
Posted: 9/5/08 at 6:49pm

Maybe this is a sign of the over obsessed renthead's apocolypse

"And We Have A Shepherd's Pie Peppered With Actual Shepherd On Top" - Mrs. Lovett, Sweeney Todd

antiandrewx
#4re: Fire at Nederlander Theatre
Posted: 9/5/08 at 6:59pm

Show will go on tonight as planned.

CATSNYrevival Profile Photo
CATSNYrevival
#5re: Fire at Nederlander Theatre
Posted: 9/5/08 at 7:02pm

Obviously some queen trying to end it all early...

TooDarnHot Profile Photo
TooDarnHot
#6re: Fire at Nederlander Theatre
Posted: 9/5/08 at 7:08pm

damnit.

Hey, at least someone tried to say "goodbye" in a more creative way! It's more creative than making obnoxious RENT threads on Broadwayworld.com

antiandrewx
#7re: Fire at Nederlander Theatre
Posted: 9/5/08 at 7:10pm

^ Much like the obnoxious Rent thread you posted earlier today?

CATSNYrevival Profile Photo
CATSNYrevival
#8re: Fire at Nederlander Theatre
Posted: 9/5/08 at 7:24pm

re: Fire at Nederlander Theatre

TooDarnHot Profile Photo
TooDarnHot
#9re: Fire at Nederlander Theatre
Posted: 9/5/08 at 7:40pm

Ah, touche!

But if we wanted to be technical... that was a Jonathan Larson thread. Not a RENT thread. re: Fire at Nederlander Theatre

Drunk Chita Rivera Profile Photo
Drunk Chita Rivera
#10re: Fire at Nederlander Theatre
Posted: 9/5/08 at 8:14pm

That's a Rent thread. You are an idiot.

EugLoven Profile Photo
EugLoven
#11re: Fire at Nederlander Theatre
Posted: 9/5/08 at 8:16pm

Copy/pasted from my ticket-selling thread:

And for those that were interested about today's fire...

I arrived at the Nederlander Theatre today, Friday at 5pm to stand in-line for the lotto. At approx 5:30pm, theatre staff opened the main doors and I could see a very hazy interior. They asked abruptly for everyone on the south side of West 41st Street to cross the street because "there was smoke in the building"

The lotto crowd went across the street and the crowd built and built. 3 fire engines arrived, firemen scaled their ladder to the Nederlander roof to douse an unsee-able flame.

Several RENT cast members arrived around 5:45pm wondering what was happening.

Around 5:55pm it was clear that this problem was not going to be fixed before 6pm, so I ran to the Richard Rodgers Theatre to enter (and lose) the IN THE HEIGHTS lotto. And may I just say, right now, that if you plan on playing the lotto for 1 ticket, and they call your name, do a quick service and shout-out: "I'll take one more!" and grab a stranger standing by you! Come on, now! It's what good theatre people should do.

In any case, around 6:05pm, I went back to the Nederlander to find the fire-trucks gone and a huge line stretching down the length of West 41st and wrapping around the corner. Lotto cards were being passed out, and the lotto was held at 6:30pm.

After the lotto, it was announced that a limited amount of $55 seats were available for the Saturday matinee and limited $110 seats for both Saturday shows (undoubtably all sold-out by now)

Harbek
#12re: Fire at Nederlander Theatre
Posted: 9/6/08 at 3:21am

As an addition...

re: Fire at Nederlander Theatre

According to the ushers, there was a piece of old wood or something up on/under the roof that had caught fire somehow, because of the renovations they were doing. It wasn't all too dramatic, lotto just got pushed off half an hour.

Friends of mine are convinced Anthony Rapp did it because if Rent can't have the theatre, no one should. (He also shot Mindy.)

FindingNamo
#13re: Fire at Nederlander Theatre
Posted: 9/6/08 at 12:24pm

Lotto got pushed back a half hour? Oh my god, that's awful.

Twitter @NamoInExile Instagram none

LilTvSets
#14re: Fire at Nederlander Theatre
Posted: 9/6/08 at 1:12pm

Oh coolkid!
Updated On: 9/6/08 at 01:12 PM

broadwayfan7 Profile Photo
broadwayfan7
#15re: Fire at Nederlander Theatre
Posted: 9/6/08 at 2:02pm

Glad no one was injured and that the show still went on as normal!

"Everytime you step on that stage it is somebody's first Broadway show and somebody's last Broadway show. Make it count."

Videos