Goodbye
Updated On: 9/19/08 at 03:12 PM

wicked_beast4 Profile Photo
wicked_beast4
#2re: The Official '13' love thread.
Posted: 9/14/08 at 3:15pm

Noooo!!! I was going to start it!

But I loved it too.

"He found something that he wanted, had always wanted and always would want— not to be admired, as he had feared; not to be loved, as he had made himself believe; but to be necessary to people, to be indispensable." -F. Scott Fitzgerald's This Side of Paradise

shesamarshmallow
#2re: The Official '13' love thread.
Posted: 9/14/08 at 3:16pm

Love.

broadwayunderstudies.com - most underrated performers on broadway

defyinggravity42694 Profile Photo
defyinggravity42694
#3re: The Official '13' love thread.
Posted: 9/14/08 at 3:17pm

Oh, haha, sorry wicked_beast4.

Goodbye

wicked_beast4
#4re: The Official '13' love thread.
Posted: 9/14/08 at 3:18pm

Dg, I was kidding. re: The Official '13' love thread.

But I really really LOVED the show.

"He found something that he wanted, had always wanted and always would want— not to be admired, as he had feared; not to be loved, as he had made himself believe; but to be necessary to people, to be indispensable." -F. Scott Fitzgerald's This Side of Paradise

defyinggravity42694
#5re: The Official '13' love thread.
Posted: 9/14/08 at 3:19pm

Can't believe I'm saying this, I enjoyed it more than Wicked...

Broadway.com- Meeting the Starts of 13
http://www.broadway.com/gen/Buzz_Video.aspx?ci=570410

Goodbye
Updated On: 9/14/08 at 03:19 PM

shh282 Profile Photo
shh282
#6re: The Official '13' love thread.
Posted: 9/14/08 at 3:20pm

I saw them at BoB - and they were all really good, I'm really excited to see it. I saw one of the girls in the audience and congratulated her on being awesome.

is 13 doing rush?

defyinggravity42694
#7re: The Official '13' love thread.
Posted: 9/14/08 at 3:22pm

Yes, $25 front row seats.

Goodbye

wicked_beast4
#8re: The Official '13' love thread.
Posted: 9/14/08 at 3:31pm

I am definitely rushing!!!!!! THe show is the best front row!!!! Can't wait to see it again!!

bwaybud
#9re: The Official '13' love thread.
Posted: 9/14/08 at 4:05pm

13 Dress Rehearsal:

I saw the Dress Rehearsal for invited teens yesterday and thought the show was awesome!

Let me start by saying:
I've been reading some bashing reviews from a few people on the broadwayworld boards (aka WiCkEDrOcKS), mostly immature attention starved teens looking for attention on the internet. Having an opinion is one thing, but bashing the entire show is ridicules, does it need work? sure it does, but I think it will be really wonderful once the production is completed.
You can tell how immature this person is through their posts in this thread : https://forum.broadwayworld.com/readmessage.cfm?page=4&thread=978125&boardid=1
(How the audience is annoying him on line, etc. from his profile name alone his opinions seem highly biased and unnecessary for a dress rehearsal review, I choose to see the potential rather than be rude during the beginning of the process of editing a show, creators were watching it in a new element for the first time along with this audience.)

NOW with that out of the way more specific thoughts:

First off people should keep in mind that this was the first ever complete run of the show, it was a dress rehearsal and there is a preview process ahead of the show.

I think that the choreography in the production is fantastic at times, and a bit unnecessary at other times, the excess will be cut away in time, still performed really well by the cast, very impressive.

The music was really wonderful, you can tell that the production is still beginning previews, but I think the cast recording will be really popular once it is released; some great singles, and really captures each characters voice in the stages of development. You can tell that Jason Robert Brown wrote the music specifically in the correct keys for each character to sound like they are in a teenagery prepubescent point of their lives. A very smart composer, we could use more of them these days putting out original work and nurturing the characters as apposed to the crowd pleasers, but still understanding the balance between the two.

I really enjoyed the book by Robert Horn, as did the audience, responding so powerfully that the show was interrupted many times, wild applause and laughter, a very brave book, i'm really excited to see how it forms.

I think the show is introducing some amazing new talent to New York, Allie Trimm has an absolutely amazing voice, her tone is fantastic and she had great control, making it look easy like a pro. "What it means to be a friend" is fantastic. Major chills.
Brynn Williams, Caitlin Gann and Ariana Grande had amazing voices, and fantastic presence showcased in the last song "Brand New You" I predict a big future for all of them, though I must say that their voices are sorely underused in the production.
Graham Philips as Evan completely held the show together on his own, a very hard task during a dress rehearsal with a WILD audience, interrupting the flow of the scenes and yelling out at rude and inappropriate moments. Major props to him, his voice is fantastic as well.
Aaron Simon Gross was absolutely amazing as Archie, whose character makes the show for me. He was completely dedicated to his character, physically, vocally, and emotionally. Five stars from me, maybe even a supporting tony nomination, I wouldn't be surprised.

That's all for now! Maybe more thoughts next time I see the show!
Check it out! Its wonderful. Updated On: 9/14/08 at 04:05 PM

Drunk Chita Rivera Profile Photo
Drunk Chita Rivera
#10re: The Official '13' love thread.
Posted: 9/14/08 at 4:33pm

I love this show. I love the music and everything about it! I have listened to What it means to be a friend like 25 times...

defyinggravity42694
#11re: The Official '13' love thread.
Posted: 9/14/08 at 4:54pm

wicked_beast4, if you don't mind me asking, who do you know from the show? While I was waiting on-line the people right in front of me new Delaney, Brynn, and I think Al, and all three of them kept coming over.

I know as a fact a few people in front of me were/are in Broadway shows, so maybe one was you. I just know there was a former and current Michael Banks and current Michael Banks. Also, two Flounders stopped by twice. I don't really want to use names, for privacy.

Goodbye
Updated On: 9/14/08 at 04:54 PM

wicked_beast4
#12re: The Official '13' love thread.
Posted: 9/14/08 at 5:01pm

I would prefer not to say, just because I like to keep my personal life separate from those online. I wasn't one of the Flounders or Michaels, but I have done other things/shows with them before.

Updated On: 9/14/08 at 05:01 PM

defyinggravity42694
#13re: The Official '13' love thread.
Posted: 9/14/08 at 5:03pm

Oh, ok, I just realized you weren't one of them because I read you comment on the set design thread, I was coming to edit it. Cool that you've done shows with them before though.

Goodbye

TooDarnHot Profile Photo
TooDarnHot
#14re: The Official '13' love thread.
Posted: 9/14/08 at 5:14pm

so being friends with the Broadway child stars is the big thing now?

13 was okay.... not great. but not bad.

wicked_beast4
#15re: The Official '13' love thread.
Posted: 9/14/08 at 5:18pm

I guess? haha, it doesn't really matter.

But I did really like the show.

TooDarnHot Profile Photo
TooDarnHot
#16re: The Official '13' love thread.
Posted: 9/14/08 at 5:20pm

perhaps you did... but MOST fans, of the show, are around that age. can't expect to be successful without some type of older fan base. even SPRING AWAKENING has an older adult base.

defyinggravity42694
#17re: The Official '13' love thread.
Posted: 9/14/08 at 5:24pm

For those who want to see the show...
go to broadwayoffers.com
and enter code save14

Goodbye

ILoveMyDictionary Profile Photo
ILoveMyDictionary
#18re: The Official '13' love thread.
Posted: 9/14/08 at 5:29pm

I loved the show. I wasn't expecting to enjoy it as much as I did. You can read a short review I wrote here. https://forum.broadwayworld.com/readmessage.cfm?thread=978856&dt=0&boardid=1

defyinggravity42694
#19re: The Official '13' love thread.
Posted: 9/16/08 at 11:56pm

Anyone see the first preview today?

Goodbye

InfiniteTheaterFrenzy Profile Photo
InfiniteTheaterFrenzy
#20re: The Official '13' love thread.
Posted: 9/17/08 at 12:22am

Love.

[title of show] on Broadway. it's time. believe.

Amneris Profile Photo
Amneris
#21re: The Official '13' love thread.
Posted: 9/19/08 at 11:28pm

thanks for the link to this thread. I posted a review from tonight in another thread. I am in my 20s and I really enjoyed myself tonight. I thought the kids had fabulous singing voices.

sgv123
#22re: The Official '13' love thread.
Posted: 9/19/08 at 11:43pm

wicked beast- did you go to the dress?

wicked_beast4
#23re: The Official '13' love thread.
Posted: 9/20/08 at 3:31pm

sgv123- Yes, I did. I was front row, center section, right aisle seat. Bright yellow shirt. re: The Official '13' love thread.

Did you?

sgv123
#24re: The Official '13' love thread.
Posted: 9/20/08 at 3:46pm

yeah, i was front row on the left side, left aisle seat.

Videos