Ushers In Between Shows

LyTeMyCanDyI Profile Photo
LyTeMyCanDyI
#1Ushers In Between Shows
Posted: 9/26/08 at 12:39am

When a show closes, what happens to the ushers for that theater until something new comes in? Do they get paid still? Are they sent to other shows? I was wondering because I was at the Palace last night and only one usher knew the show was closing the others didn't know until then and they didn't seem too concerned.

Megan Mullally as Karen Walker on Will and Grace: "Tell me more. Tell me more. Like does he have a car?"

BwayLeadman
#2re: Ushers In Between Shows
Posted: 9/26/08 at 12:51am

if they are part of the union, the union can assist getting them into other theaters on a temporary basis, which can lead to full time status.
they can also, apply for unemployment.

HITcards
#2re: Ushers In Between Shows
Posted: 9/26/08 at 12:55am

This ask playbill.com article (I love that series) gives a pretty good explanation about the Broadway ushers and the system of how the ushers get work. It seems like the ushers don't necessarily stay at a certain theatre, but moreso stay with a certain company (Shubert, Nederlander, Jujamcyn). Therefore it would make sense that the LB ushers didn't know or care it was closing cause they knew they would just be reassigned to Grease or Wicked, or some other Nederlander show. That's my interpretation of it at least.

http://www.playbill.com/features/article/119384.html

Fosse76
#3re: Ushers In Between Shows
Posted: 9/26/08 at 12:58am

Some collect unemployment (keep in mind that someone ushering 6 shows a week earns more than someone working 40 hours a week at minimum wage)...some work at other houses. Others wait it out to the next show. Keep in mind, that it is a part-time job and many are retirees, students or have day jobs that pay well so this isn't a job of necessity for them.

ShbrtAlley44 Profile Photo
ShbrtAlley44
#4re: Ushers In Between Shows
Posted: 9/26/08 at 1:17am

Ushers who are employed at certain houses either get other jobs, sub at other houses, or collect unemployment until a new show comes in.

Linder Profile Photo
Linder
#5re: Ushers In Between Shows
Posted: 9/26/08 at 9:19am

for us it will be nothing... I work in an independant theatre and am not part of the union.

almost everyone at our house has another job. I am thanking my lucky stars I have one, especially with the current economic climate.

Fosse76
#6re: Ushers In Between Shows
Posted: 9/26/08 at 12:07pm

"Therefore it would make sense that the LB ushers didn't know or care it was closing cause they knew they would just be reassigned to Grease or Wicked, or some other Nederlander show. That's my interpretation of it at least."

That's not how it works. You don't get reassigned. Essentially, once your house closes, you can sub for ushers in other houses. It's not automatic, though. It is up to the chief usher at each house to decide which ushers they are going to use.

Jane2 Profile Photo
Jane2
#7re: Ushers In Between Shows
Posted: 9/26/08 at 3:02pm

I used to work for an independent house also, non union, and I collected unemployment between shows.

<-----I'M TOTES ROLLING MY EYES

Videos