News on your favorite shows, specials & more!

"13" Previews

#1"13" Previews
Posted: 10/1/08 at 2:57pm

Has anyone else seen "13" since late last week? I saw it this past Sunday and I thought it ROCKED! I didn't see it earlier in the Preview run but on Sunday it was a very tight and well presented one act show. I like Jason's body of work and I found 13's score to be a worthy addition. The performances I saw and the musical support I heard were Broadway ticket worthy. It's on my recommend list and I'm headed back....

PSLove302 Profile Photo
PSLove302
#2re: '13' Previews
Posted: 10/1/08 at 3:09pm

Oh God.

"I like Jason's body of work and I found 13's score to be a worthy addition."

What are you smoking????

JRB's worst score, to date. No doubt about that. I thought the 'effing book was better than the score as a whole!! That's saying a lot sweetheart.

"I don't see that many plays, and for me, musicals are rarely pleasing. I feel the actors are being put through a kind of nightmarish labor. They're like animals being forced to pull heavy carts of vegetables at incredible speeds." --- Wallace Shawn

#2re: '13' Previews
Posted: 10/1/08 at 3:11pm

Obviously not the same stuff as you.... when did you see the show?
Updated On: 10/1/08 at 03:11 PM

PSLove302 Profile Photo
PSLove302
#3re: '13' Previews
Posted: 10/1/08 at 3:15pm

Once in LA. Once at Goodspeed. And finally in NY last weekend.

My partner got comps so I felt obligated to go. To be honest... I enjoyed it A LOT more before all of the cuts and revisions and changes.

It just doesn't belong on Broadway and I can't believe that Jason Robert Brown was capapable of writing such garbage. I mean. I am a huge fan of his. But this score is just ridiculously inane, juvenlile (it sounds like a 13 year-old wrote the damn score), and amateurish.

I expect so much more from a composer like Mr. Brown

And the book, to this show, is just kinda bland. But it doesn't bother me as much as the music does. Yuck!

"I don't see that many plays, and for me, musicals are rarely pleasing. I feel the actors are being put through a kind of nightmarish labor. They're like animals being forced to pull heavy carts of vegetables at incredible speeds." --- Wallace Shawn

#4re: '13' Previews
Posted: 10/1/08 at 3:21pm

We disagree on the music but you have seen it through all of it's phases was it always a one-act?

CATSNYrevival Profile Photo
CATSNYrevival
#5re: '13' Previews
Posted: 10/1/08 at 3:36pm

(it sounds like a 13 year-old wrote the damn score)

Could that, maybe, have been the intention??? I just always wonder if sometimes when people violently criticize something that they're actually validating the author's intent.

JohnMs2 Profile Photo
JohnMs2
#6re: '13' Previews
Posted: 10/1/08 at 3:37pm

tylerphillipsmusic, go see a real Broadway show.
I feel embarresed for JRB every night this crap plays.

ray-andallthatjazz86 Profile Photo
ray-andallthatjazz86
#7re: '13' Previews
Posted: 10/1/08 at 3:42pm

Whether it was his intent or not, is not the issue. The issue is that the score is one of the most awful things to hit Broadway. I mean, I rather listen to the new songs added to LITTLE MERMAID, I'd rather listen to THE WEDDING SINGER over and over again than to listen even one song from 13, it's just an embarrassment of a score.
I just don't think the show should even open.

"Some people can thrive and bloom living life in a living room, that's perfect for some people of one hundred and five. But I at least gotta try, when I think of all the sights that I gotta see, all the places I gotta play, all the things that I gotta be at"

JohnMs2 Profile Photo
JohnMs2
#8re: '13' Previews
Posted: 10/1/08 at 3:45pm

I agree, ray.
I mean, why open? Grosses are at 40%, Average ticket price stands at $45... and reviews won't help. Why lose any more money?

JohnMs2 Profile Photo
JohnMs2
#9re: '13' Previews
Posted: 10/1/08 at 3:45pm

Sorry, double post. :) Updated On: 10/1/08 at 03:45 PM

#10re: '13' Previews
Posted: 10/1/08 at 3:47pm

(see a real Broadway show) I did when I saw "13" last Sunday and still I don't have an answer whether the show has always been a one-act???

Updated On: 10/1/08 at 03:47 PM

James885 Profile Photo
James885
#11re: '13' Previews
Posted: 10/1/08 at 3:51pm

As a devoted fan of Jason Robert Brown, I must concur that his score for 13 is probably his worst score to date. Mind you, I haven't seen it so I'm going strictly by the cast recording. Maybe the score sounds better within the context of the show, although judging by the majority of reviews on this board, that doesn't seem to be the case. The score comes across as a very juvenile effort, as if the songs came from a beginner songwriter and not a composer of JRB's level.

"You drank a charm to kill John Proctor's wife! You drank a charm to kill Goody Proctor!" - Betty Parris to Abigail Williams in Arthur Miller's The Crucible

BroadwayWNY
#12re: '13' Previews
Posted: 10/1/08 at 4:00pm

Hi All,
I am a huge JRB fan. I saw 13 last week. I think the score is great. I don't think it is his worst score yet. Listen to the music, the orchestrations, the score as a whole. Try to envision actors other than 13-year-olds singing it. It is great for the story it tells. Is the show good...the jury is still out on that. The book was not good. The production was campy...as it should be...with 13-year olds performing it. It is a novel concept. Enjoy it for what it is.

WishingOnlyWounds2
#13re: '13' Previews
Posted: 10/1/08 at 4:25pm

No, I was at the final Broadway dress. It was two acts.
Here I Go was the act one closer
Opportunity opened the second act.
Both were cut. Here I Go I'm fine with being cut, but I liked Opportunity.

2008: Feb. 18- Rent, Feb. 19- Curtains, April 18- Xanadu, April 22- Wicked, April 26- Legally Blonde, May 31- Wicked, June 13- The Little Mermaid, June 28- Wicked and Young Frankenstein, July 2- The Little Mermaid, July 6- A Chorus Line and Legally Blonde, August 16- Xanadu, September 13- Legally Blonde and 13, September 28- Xanadu and Spring Awakening, Oct. 12-GYPSY and [title of show], Oct. 19- Hairspray & Legally Blonde, Nov. 9- Wicked and 13, Dec. 14-13, Dec. 26- Billy Elliot, 2009: Jan 1- Shrek, Jan 2- 13 and Wicked, Jan 4- 13, Feb 17- In The Heights, Feb 19- Billy Elliot, Feb 22- Sweeney Todd (tour), March 28- Mary Poppins, April 4- Mamma Mia!, April 15- Jersey Boys (on tour), April 25- next to normal & 9 to 5 May 1- Billy Elliot, May 3- Spelling Bee (tour), May 8- Chicago, May 21- Wicked, June 6- Everyday Rapture, June 23- The Wiz, June 25- Hair July 15- Shrek, August 9- Wicked, September 7- Rock of Ages, October 11- Next To Normal, October 23- The Marvelous Wonderettes, November 7- Ragtime November 29- Dreamgirls, December 25- Billy Elliot, December 30- Finian's Rainbow, 2010: January 9- Bye Bye Birdie, January 16- Memphis February 17- The Phantom of The Opera, February 18- God of Carnage, March 7- Billy Elliot, March 31- American Idiot

WishingOnlyWounds2
#14re: '13' Previews
Posted: 10/1/08 at 4:25pm

No, I was at the final Broadway dress. It was two acts.
Here I Go was the act one closer
Opportunity opened the second act.
Both were cut. Here I Go I'm fine with being cut, but I liked Opportunity.

2008: Feb. 18- Rent, Feb. 19- Curtains, April 18- Xanadu, April 22- Wicked, April 26- Legally Blonde, May 31- Wicked, June 13- The Little Mermaid, June 28- Wicked and Young Frankenstein, July 2- The Little Mermaid, July 6- A Chorus Line and Legally Blonde, August 16- Xanadu, September 13- Legally Blonde and 13, September 28- Xanadu and Spring Awakening, Oct. 12-GYPSY and [title of show], Oct. 19- Hairspray & Legally Blonde, Nov. 9- Wicked and 13, Dec. 14-13, Dec. 26- Billy Elliot, 2009: Jan 1- Shrek, Jan 2- 13 and Wicked, Jan 4- 13, Feb 17- In The Heights, Feb 19- Billy Elliot, Feb 22- Sweeney Todd (tour), March 28- Mary Poppins, April 4- Mamma Mia!, April 15- Jersey Boys (on tour), April 25- next to normal & 9 to 5 May 1- Billy Elliot, May 3- Spelling Bee (tour), May 8- Chicago, May 21- Wicked, June 6- Everyday Rapture, June 23- The Wiz, June 25- Hair July 15- Shrek, August 9- Wicked, September 7- Rock of Ages, October 11- Next To Normal, October 23- The Marvelous Wonderettes, November 7- Ragtime November 29- Dreamgirls, December 25- Billy Elliot, December 30- Finian's Rainbow, 2010: January 9- Bye Bye Birdie, January 16- Memphis February 17- The Phantom of The Opera, February 18- God of Carnage, March 7- Billy Elliot, March 31- American Idiot

perfectliar
#15re: '13' Previews
Posted: 10/1/08 at 4:26pm

ray - You just mentioned two shows that you may not particularly like (I don't either, btw) but the vast majority of the Broadway-going audiences are still eating up THE LITTLE MERMAID and the national tour of THE WEDDING SINGER. They're entertaining pop scores... just like 13. I doubt Jason Robert Brown intended to write another PARADE when he developed the idea for 13. Instead he created something completely different from anything he's done before. In that respect, the show is a success. And while it may not be his best score, it's certainly not any worse than many shows to have come through in the past few years. I'd choose 13 over YOUNG FRANKENSTEIN, WICKED, THE LITTLE MERMAID, and A TALE OF TWO CITIES anyday.

#16re: '13' Previews
Posted: 10/1/08 at 5:21pm

Are we all talking about the same show that goes on tonight in a couple of hours or are we talking about older versions?

PSLove302 Profile Photo
PSLove302
#17re: '13' Previews
Posted: 10/1/08 at 7:03pm

YES WE ARE, TYLER PHILLIPS.

perfectliar -- you're missing the point. I wasn't expecting a "Parade" type score. Not even anything similar to "Last Five Years"... you mention the term 'pop scores' . "Songs For A New World" is predominantly a 'pop/contemp score'.

it IS possible to write a pop score with GOOD music (i.e. O'Keefe, Pasek & Paul, Larsen, Schwartz).... or at least relatively DECENT.

you people are trying to turn this around into a good thing. it's NOT a good thing that it sounds like a 13 year-old wrote it. That really means that the music is crap and is an embarrasment. I can't believe Jason Robert Brown would allow some of that stuff ever see the light of day.

srgan2
#18re: '13' Previews
Posted: 10/1/08 at 7:40pm

PS i've seen the show thought it was great. now i must admit i'm not the litrary genius that you appear to be but the fact that as far as i could tell everyone else in the theater thought it was great tells me something. humm all of these folks can't be wrong. so i guess that sorts of put you in the minority wouldn't you say.
Updated On: 10/1/08 at 07:40 PM

B3TA07 Profile Photo
B3TA07
#19re: '13' Previews
Posted: 10/1/08 at 7:48pm

You have excellent sentence structure!! Are you an accomplished scholar?!?!

-Benjamin
--http://www.benjaminadgate.com/

#20re: '13' Previews
Posted: 10/1/08 at 10:39pm

(You are missing the point) No... I am not missing the point... I am disagreeing with your point. Also I think we may be talking about two versions of the show. Again I saw a version Sunday September 28 that was one act!!! Have you seen that version of the show? I have only seen it once.
Updated On: 10/1/08 at 10:39 PM

iluvtheatertrash
#21re: '13' Previews
Posted: 10/1/08 at 11:31pm

Regardless of what anyone on here says, I had a fantastic time and loved every minute of it. Just saw it tonight and had a great experience.

"I know now that theatre saved my life." - Susan Stroman

Videos