News on your favorite shows, specials & more!
pixeltracker

"13" Age Appropriateness and RENT at the Box Office

"13" Age Appropriateness and RENT at the Box Office

Akitarent
#1"13" Age Appropriateness and RENT at the Box Office
Posted: 10/1/08 at 10:15pm

First, I have three complimentary orchestra seats to "13". Knowing what people have been saying, I am weary because I was going to invite a family friend who is about 11 and his mother. He is not really into theatre and knows more than he should (care of youtube). I was wondering if this is a show for people that don't know a lot about theatre and would enjoy it. Also is there anything that would be considered inappropriate or crass?

I checked a few sites and since Rent: Live on Broadway is in limited release - and not put on the regular Box Office chart, is there a way to find out if it was overall successful sans advertising?

WishingOnlyWounds2
#2re: '13' Age Appropriateness and RENT at the Box Office
Posted: 10/1/08 at 10:21pm

11 year old should be fine
11 year old with mother may be weird.

I think either way unless the mother is very uptight you should be fine.

2008: Feb. 18- Rent, Feb. 19- Curtains, April 18- Xanadu, April 22- Wicked, April 26- Legally Blonde, May 31- Wicked, June 13- The Little Mermaid, June 28- Wicked and Young Frankenstein, July 2- The Little Mermaid, July 6- A Chorus Line and Legally Blonde, August 16- Xanadu, September 13- Legally Blonde and 13, September 28- Xanadu and Spring Awakening, Oct. 12-GYPSY and [title of show], Oct. 19- Hairspray & Legally Blonde, Nov. 9- Wicked and 13, Dec. 14-13, Dec. 26- Billy Elliot, 2009: Jan 1- Shrek, Jan 2- 13 and Wicked, Jan 4- 13, Feb 17- In The Heights, Feb 19- Billy Elliot, Feb 22- Sweeney Todd (tour), March 28- Mary Poppins, April 4- Mamma Mia!, April 15- Jersey Boys (on tour), April 25- next to normal & 9 to 5 May 1- Billy Elliot, May 3- Spelling Bee (tour), May 8- Chicago, May 21- Wicked, June 6- Everyday Rapture, June 23- The Wiz, June 25- Hair July 15- Shrek, August 9- Wicked, September 7- Rock of Ages, October 11- Next To Normal, October 23- The Marvelous Wonderettes, November 7- Ragtime November 29- Dreamgirls, December 25- Billy Elliot, December 30- Finian's Rainbow, 2010: January 9- Bye Bye Birdie, January 16- Memphis February 17- The Phantom of The Opera, February 18- God of Carnage, March 7- Billy Elliot, March 31- American Idiot

jake6970
#2re: '13' Age Appropriateness and RENT at the Box Office
Posted: 10/1/08 at 10:22pm

There are a few kind of sketchy moments but they have cut some of them. Definitely appropriate for an 11 yr old, imo.

actor2be
#3re: '13' Age Appropriateness and RENT at the Box Office
Posted: 10/1/08 at 10:23pm

i think this show is deffinitely appropriate for an 11 year old...well it actually all depends on the parents....

the only bad things in the show is:
they say penis once
the make a slight referance to puberty hair
the kind of tease about jews and terminal illness....but its all complete and obvious joking

i personally would def. take my 11 year old! and its fine that he doesnt know much about theatre! this isnt the type of show that requires any "theatre knowledge"

srgan2
#4re: '13' Age Appropriateness and RENT at the Box Office
Posted: 10/1/08 at 11:14pm

if you want to expose an 11 year old to the theater then this is the show. the relationship between the actors on stage and the teens in the audiences is infectious. contemporary story line that might cause some discomfort for some parents but from what i hear it nothing that they haven't already heard. a great story about friendships and how they develope and the conflicts that go along with them. now mom might not be as enthusiastic but what mom of a teen or pre teen is but if the goal is to inspire that child by the acts of others then i can't think of a better show to see

Akitarent
#5re: '13' Age Appropriateness and RENT at the Box Office
Posted: 10/8/08 at 12:48am

Someone posted this on ATC. Just wondering with the changes if it was still suitable:

I just got back from "13". "13" was awful. It made me feel creepy and dirty.
It annoyed me there was no intermission. How could I walk out without one.

..when the entire audience "eeeeewwwwwed" when the two boy's tongued, I no longer cared what people thought. I stood up from the 4th row and walked out.

But to sing about cripples and recite negative jokes about jews (by the "cripple") and commenting about a priest and boys, made my skin crawl. These are 12 year olds. What have WE become?

Its been a while since I was 12 but as sexually driven and bullyish as they can be, this just pushed the envelope so far with the sleaze factor- and in very little taste, it made me want to give up on theater.

HeyMrMusic Profile Photo
HeyMrMusic
#6re: '13' Age Appropriateness and RENT at the Box Office
Posted: 10/8/08 at 1:07am

I didn't feel creepy or dirty when I saw it. And I believe the priest reference is out because I don't recognize it. I took my 10-year-old brother and 13-year-old sister to it and they both loved it. I had a good time too, as did my 27-year-old brother. We all enjoyed ourselves and have the cast recording on our iPods. The show is appropriate for anyone who likes that Disney Channel nonsense.

O I think they say "dumbass" once, but that's about it.

~Steven

jasonf Profile Photo
jasonf
#7re: '13' Age Appropriateness and RENT at the Box Office
Posted: 10/8/08 at 8:24am

I haven't seen it but listened to the cast recording and have several 11-14 year old students who've seen it. The kids who saw it LOVED it, and, were I still allowed to take trips to NY with my classes, I wouldn't hesitate to bring them to see the show.

Hi, Shirley Temple Pudding.

Videos