pixeltracker

rOcKS @ 'Billy Elliot: The Musical' (added: 11/08/08 performance -Kiril-)- Page 2

rOcKS @ 'Billy Elliot: The Musical' (added: 11/08/08 performance -Kiril-)

vfd88 Profile Photo
vfd88
#25re: rOcKS @ 'Billy Elliot: The Musical'
Posted: 10/3/08 at 4:54pm

How big is the orchestra?

WiCkEDrOcKS Profile Photo
WiCkEDrOcKS
#26re: rOcKS @ 'Billy Elliot: The Musical'
Posted: 10/3/08 at 4:55pm

I counted seventeen musicians in my Playbill.

somethingwicked Profile Photo
somethingwicked
#27re: rOcKS @ 'Billy Elliot: The Musical'
Posted: 10/3/08 at 7:05pm

So is Kiril definietly on for the matinee tomorrow?

Tonya Pinkins: Then we had a "Lot's Wife" last June that was my personal favorite. I'm still trying to get them to let me sing it at some performance where we get to sing an excerpt that's gone.
Tony Kushner: You can sing it at my funeral.

WiCkEDrOcKS
#28re: rOcKS @ 'Billy Elliot: The Musical'
Posted: 10/3/08 at 7:18pm

I'm at the theater picking up my tickets for this evening. Kiril is on tonight. Not Trent.

WiCkEDrOcKS
#29re: rOcKS @ 'Billy Elliot: The Musical'
Posted: 10/3/08 at 7:29pm

The guys at the box office said they do not know who is going on tomorrow. They are told minutes before the box office opens. So I'm ASSUMING Trent is on tomorrow. Possibly afternoon...but more likely night since the ticket prices are higher for Saturday evening shows. I wanna see Trent now but I don't know if I should chance it and get tickets for tomorrow afternoon. Maybe ill come down tomorrow and check with the b.o. And then decide

somethingwicked
#30re: rOcKS @ 'Billy Elliot: The Musical'
Posted: 10/3/08 at 7:30pm

WiCkEDrOcKs, I would check and make sure they have the right name on the board (and ask who is going on tomorrow, if you can.)

When I went to pick up my ticket for the first preview, they had the wrong name on the board (Kiril went on but David was listed on the board.)

Tonya Pinkins: Then we had a "Lot's Wife" last June that was my personal favorite. I'm still trying to get them to let me sing it at some performance where we get to sing an excerpt that's gone.

WiCkEDrOcKS
#31re: rOcKS @ 'Billy Elliot: The Musical'
Posted: 10/3/08 at 7:32pm

I doubt the Billy that is on the callboard now is wrong...its only 20 minutes before the show.

Kalimba Profile Photo
Kalimba
#32re: rOcKS @ 'Billy Elliot: The Musical'
Posted: 10/3/08 at 7:51pm

I still need to get tickets, but hearing all these positive things makes me think I should act quick.

bundy5000 Profile Photo
bundy5000
#33re: rOcKS @ 'Billy Elliot: The Musical'
Posted: 10/3/08 at 8:07pm

Nothing so Elegant will ever match up to going to "BE" on Oct 1st...... Ever

Herbie: "Honey, Don't you know there's a depression?"
Rose: "Of Course I know, I Watch Fox News"
-(modified)Gypsy
Broadway Schedule
December 5th- Hamilton, On Your Feet
December 19th- Noises Off, Edith Piaf Concert at Town Hall

somethingwicked
#34re: rOcKS @ 'Billy Elliot: The Musical'
Posted: 10/3/08 at 8:48pm

Was just able to score a terrific seat last minute for tomorrow afternoon.

I was hoping to catch Kiril again, but it seems I'll either see David or Trent (most likely the latter, since he's yet to go on.)

I'll report back on any changes I notice from the first preview.

WiCkEDrOcKS
#35re: rOcKS @ 'Billy Elliot: The Musical'
Posted: 10/3/08 at 11:54pm

I'm on my way home and I really love it all over again. A few changes were made to accomodate Kiril, who was wonderful. Just as good as David (Kiril's voice was shot tonight by the end of the show, though).

Ill write more when I get home...was able to pinpoint some more problems I had with the show but Ill elaborate when I get home in a few minutes. Still a four-star musical though.

WiCkEDrOcKS
#36re: rOcKS @ 'Billy Elliot: The Musical'
Posted: 10/4/08 at 12:36am

So I'm not going to write another full-out review, but here are some of my thoughts.

Kiril was very good. While he's not a totally incredible singer (which I guess in theory suits the role and could also be blamed on the age of the kids...I had the same issue with David yesterday) he's a phenomenal dancer and actor.

I wrote that I was able to see more problems with the show. For one, I don't think there's much of a transition from MEAN dad to SUPPORTIVE dad. That was the main issue I realized this evening. While Jbara does a great job with the transition, it's still not there in the writing which makes the character a smidge less effective. I have to say though that it was almost like I was watching a different show this evening and that is, to my knowledge, due to the boy playing Billy. Kiril and David (and I'm sure Trent) played the role very differently which affected the overall impact of the character and the show as a whole. Both were equally effective but in very different ways. Kiril played Billy very somberly with a lot of really emotional moments and it didn't feel depressing or ring false. David played the role with a lot more energy and excitement which made the show almost more fun, I guess. It works both ways and is equally effective.

There were no technical problems tonight except for a small mic problem on Billy that was fixed right away and a few missed lighting cues. Instead of doing the backflip off of the piano during BORN TO BOOGIE, Kiril leaps off into the air and strikes the pose of the boy on the show's advertisements.

They're obviously working to accomodate each Billy and I am anxious to see how Trent fares. I was going to stop by tomorrow afternoon to see it again with Trent (if he's even in it) but I think I'll wait a while to see him.

The audience was very responsive once again but as I left tonight's show I heard a lot of mixed remarks. Many people said they thought it was boring and over-worked. I stand my ground in that that connotations couldn't be farther from the truth. It's brilliantly inventive, thrilling, and electrifyingly alive.
Updated On: 10/4/08 at 12:36 AM

WiCkEDrOcKS
#37re: rOcKS @ 'Billy Elliot: The Musical'
Posted: 10/4/08 at 1:01am

Oh, and Frank Dolce was on as Michael and was a riot. He played the role almost identically the same as David Bologna but it still worked. If it ain't broke...

So you can pretty much bet on them just having David B. and Frank do every other show since it's just the two of them and they wouldn't want them to do back-to-back shows (Frank, David, Frank, David, Frank, David and so on).

WiCkEDrOcKS
#38re: rOcKS @ 'Billy Elliot: The Musical'
Posted: 10/4/08 at 1:01am

Double post Updated On: 10/4/08 at 01:01 AM

broadfan327
#39re: rOcKS @ 'Billy Elliot: The Musical'
Posted: 10/4/08 at 1:05am

When I walked out of Equus tonight I saw someone with a Billy Elliot Playbill and asked her if the show was good, and the woman said it was all right.
Updated On: 10/4/08 at 01:05 AM

WiCkEDrOcKS
#40re: rOcKS @ 'Billy Elliot: The Musical'
Posted: 10/4/08 at 1:09am

Yeah, it's weird. People last night seemed to love it (although I did hear some mixed things as well, but mostly positive) but tonight people seemed to be very iffy about it.

WiCkEDrOcKS
#41re: rOcKS @ 'Billy Elliot: The Musical'
Posted: 10/4/08 at 10:52am

Sorry to keep bumping this thread but I also wanted to mention how absolutely breathtaking ANGRY DANCE is. The first night I saw it they stopped it and restarted it without everything fully set like I mentioned in the original post but last night it went smoothly and perfectly and I got chills and started to cry. Just breathtakingly original and brilliant.

And while I love ELECTRICITY, I actually preferred ANGRY DANCE and the SWAN LAKE number which are absolutely incomparable. Both kids got thunderous applause after ELECTRICITY which will surely be the eleven-o'clock number of the year. Love ya Stephanie J. Block and you sure belt the hell out of GET OUT AND STAY OUT but call me when you start doing back hand springs and leaping across the stage and then we'll talk.

It should be interesting to see this year's Best Musical race play out. BILLY ELLIOT is the odds on front runner but could it be too early for that? From what I hear, 9 TO 5 is totally different but can be bet on putting up a strong fight against the juggernaut that is BILLY ELLIOT. And as we've learned in previous years, just when we bet the house on the Best Musical winner or even other major acting awards specifically, someone or something else sweeps in last minute and poses a major threat. We'll see...

antiandrewx Profile Photo
antiandrewx
#42re: rOcKS @ 'Billy Elliot: The Musical'
Posted: 10/4/08 at 12:11pm

rocks, did you notice if Kiril used a spotter when he was getting off of the piano during "Born To Boogie"?

WiCkEDrOcKS
#43re: rOcKS @ 'Billy Elliot: The Musical'
Posted: 10/4/08 at 12:48pm

Nope. As I said, instead of doing the backflip, he just lept into the air and posed like the kid on the ads (which I think they are changing...the big sign on top of the Imperial that had the picture of the boy leaping on it is now gone). He was able to just leap off and land on his feet and fall on his spot on the button.

WishingOnlyWounds2
#44re: rOcKS @ 'Billy Elliot: The Musical'
Posted: 10/4/08 at 1:04pm

"They're obviously working to accomodate each Billy and I am anxious to see how Trent fares."

Trent played the role for a year in a half in London (in case you weren't aware). I'm sure he'll be phenomenal and fare well in the role as he has been doing.

2008: Feb. 18- Rent, Feb. 19- Curtains, April 18- Xanadu, April 22- Wicked, April 26- Legally Blonde, May 31- Wicked, June 13- The Little Mermaid, June 28- Wicked and Young Frankenstein, July 2- The Little Mermaid, July 6- A Chorus Line and Legally Blonde, August 16- Xanadu, September 13- Legally Blonde and 13, September 28- Xanadu and Spring Awakening, Oct. 12-GYPSY and [title of show], Oct. 19- Hairspray & Legally Blonde, Nov. 9- Wicked and 13, Dec. 14-13, Dec. 26- Billy Elliot, 2009: Jan 1- Shrek, Jan 2- 13 and Wicked, Jan 4- 13, Feb 17- In The Heights, Feb 19- Billy Elliot, Feb 22- Sweeney Todd (tour), March 28- Mary Poppins, April 4- Mamma Mia!, April 15- Jersey Boys (on tour), April 25- next to normal & 9 to 5 May 1- Billy Elliot, May 3- Spelling Bee (tour), May 8- Chicago, May 21- Wicked, June 6- Everyday Rapture, June 23- The Wiz, June 25- Hair July 15- Shrek, August 9- Wicked, September 7- Rock of Ages, October 11- Next To Normal, October 23- The Marvelous Wonderettes, November 7- Ragtime November 29- Dreamgirls, December 25- Billy Elliot, December 30- Finian's Rainbow, 2010: January 9- Bye Bye Birdie, January 16- Memphis February 17- The Phantom of The Opera, February 18- God of Carnage, March 7- Billy Elliot, March 31- American Idiot

WiCkEDrOcKS
#45re: rOcKS @ 'Billy Elliot: The Musical'
Posted: 10/4/08 at 1:14pm

I figured that but I just meant with the adjustment to American audiences as well as the fact that his scheduled start date was last night (someone told me it was on his website and then deleted two hours before the show started) so I don't know what the problem is (if there is one) but I hope he's great. I've heard he was nothing short of brilliant in the West End production.

WishingOnlyWounds2
#46re: rOcKS @ 'Billy Elliot: The Musical'
Posted: 10/4/08 at 1:22pm

Yea it was...
http://trentkowalik.com/

Now it just says "please check back".

2008: Feb. 18- Rent, Feb. 19- Curtains, April 18- Xanadu, April 22- Wicked, April 26- Legally Blonde, May 31- Wicked, June 13- The Little Mermaid, June 28- Wicked and Young Frankenstein, July 2- The Little Mermaid, July 6- A Chorus Line and Legally Blonde, August 16- Xanadu, September 13- Legally Blonde and 13, September 28- Xanadu and Spring Awakening, Oct. 12-GYPSY and [title of show], Oct. 19- Hairspray & Legally Blonde, Nov. 9- Wicked and 13, Dec. 14-13, Dec. 26- Billy Elliot, 2009: Jan 1- Shrek, Jan 2- 13 and Wicked, Jan 4- 13, Feb 17- In The Heights, Feb 19- Billy Elliot, Feb 22- Sweeney Todd (tour), March 28- Mary Poppins, April 4- Mamma Mia!, April 15- Jersey Boys (on tour), April 25- next to normal & 9 to 5 May 1- Billy Elliot, May 3- Spelling Bee (tour), May 8- Chicago, May 21- Wicked, June 6- Everyday Rapture, June 23- The Wiz, June 25- Hair July 15- Shrek, August 9- Wicked, September 7- Rock of Ages, October 11- Next To Normal, October 23- The Marvelous Wonderettes, November 7- Ragtime November 29- Dreamgirls, December 25- Billy Elliot, December 30- Finian's Rainbow, 2010: January 9- Bye Bye Birdie, January 16- Memphis February 17- The Phantom of The Opera, February 18- God of Carnage, March 7- Billy Elliot, March 31- American Idiot
Updated On: 10/4/08 at 01:22 PM

obsessedjb Profile Photo
obsessedjb
#47re: rOcKS @ 'Billy Elliot: The Musical'
Posted: 10/4/08 at 1:23pm

I'm so jealous that you've already seen it twice. I saw it last fall in Australia and loved it. Thanks for your reviews!

jess20882 Profile Photo
jess20882
#48re: rOcKS @ 'Billy Elliot: The Musical'
Posted: 10/4/08 at 1:27pm

i saw the show last night and fell in love with kiril's performance. he was nothing short of incredible.

WesternSky2 Profile Photo
WesternSky2
#49re: rOcKS @ 'Billy Elliot: The Musical'
Posted: 10/4/08 at 2:26pm

Was at the show last night and was completely blown away.

Everything about this production is beautiful, and the cast is solid all around.

Kiril was amazing! I've never seen anything like Billy's Angry Dance in my entire life... as I remarked last night, I'm positive I stopped breathing. I couldn't believe it.

Greg's Dad is really something fantastic, though I do agree that of all the characters his does suffer some through the writing - but I followed his transformation and it was astounding. I know they're making cuts to the show next week, and I'm really hoping they don't cut his solo. It was beautiful and moving.

Can't wait to see the other 2 Billys... I can't imagine it getting better than Kiril, but I know I'll eat my words. re: rOcKS @ 'Billy Elliot: The Musical'

Videos