Farragut North: a mini review

RentBoy86
#1Farragut North: a mini review
Posted: 10/26/08 at 12:59am

I didn't know what to expect when I walked into the theater, but I was captivated. It took a few minutes for me to get fully invested in the story, but by intermission I was contemplating what I thought would happen. The play takes so many twists and turns it's hard to guess what's coming next. I thought I had it figured out, but then something happens and the story is unfolded. The design was perfect. The transition music and projections added to the intense underlining of the whole play. The cast was overall excellent. Major props has to go to John Gallagher, Jr. for his excellent performance. The only notion I had of him was through "Spring Awakening," so it was nice to see him switch modes and play a more realistic character. He never leaves the stage, and he displays a compelling performance. I didn't realize how many "names" were involved in this production, but I found it a great play. One of the ushers mentioned that there are talks of "Broadway," but nothing is definite, and I'm sure it depends on the reviews, etc.

#2re: Farragut North: a mini review
Posted: 10/26/08 at 1:11am

Thanks for the review! I hope it transfers!

RentBoy86
#2re: Farragut North: a mini review
Posted: 10/26/08 at 1:49am

Not sure how it would play in a bigger space, it doesn't seem to lean towards that, but I suppose it could. It has the "names" that would support a transfer though.

withoutyou08
#3re: Farragut North: a mini review
Posted: 10/26/08 at 1:54am

where can i get tix?

what if susan blackwell hung out with boq, trekkie monster, the SOL soloist#2, and the piragua guy on a daily basis?

RentBoy86
#4re: Farragut North: a mini review
Posted: 10/26/08 at 2:45am

Just search online: Atlantic Theater Company

dramamama611 Profile Photo
dramamama611
#5re: Farragut North: a mini review
Posted: 10/26/08 at 9:07am

TicketCentral.com handles the Atlantic productions.

Broadway box has a 10 discount: http://www.broadwaybox.com/shows/farragut_north_nyc_tickets.aspx

I'll be there on Saturday. I love seeing shows at the Atlantic.

If we're not having fun, then why are we doing it? These are DISCUSSION boards, not mutual admiration boards. Discussion only occurs when we are willing to hear what others are thinking, regardless of whether it is alignment to our own thoughts.

RentBoy86
#6re: Farragut North: a mini review
Posted: 10/26/08 at 1:00pm

Yeah, I totally understood why they did "Spring Awakening" there, it fit in perfectly with the atmosphere.

Sirius Black Profile Photo
Sirius Black
#7re: Farragut North: a mini review
Posted: 10/27/08 at 9:54am

I saw this production over the weekend and I was quite disappointed. It's a morality play and bears the hallmarks of recent Doug Hughes projects - spare, tight. But when a production is so quick and staged to be light on its feet - the actors must be doubly full, invested and related. The lead actor is not up to the challenge of his role. From the opening sequence to the very end he works a false intensity and lacks the basic skills of speaking and listening. In the second act - which moves much more quickly - he is just angry angry angry until the climax (at least I think it's the climax) where he is ANGRY. Gallagher is at such a pitch of frustration so early he really gives himself nowhere to go. His performance seems so forced and lacking in real humanity. Even though he is a putz you've got to like him, feel for him or what's the point of spending 2 hours on his journey? Olivia Thirlby is lovely and believable and how much better her scenes could be with a genuine partner.
The video art is interesting and beautiful - the cool blue images give you a sense of the very fast moving world of news cycle spin.
I am a political junkie and I have really enjoyed Chris Noth on tv (and he doesn't disappoint in this role)and I was looking forward to this. But I think Doug Hughes made a mistake in casting the lead role (an actor who is in virtually every scene).
Updated On: 10/27/08 at 09:54 AM

RentBoy86
#8re: Farragut North: a mini review
Posted: 10/27/08 at 10:38am

Interesting perspective. I agree that the end scene didn't seem to quite "climax" the way it should.

aliciag Profile Photo
aliciag
#9re: Farragut North: a mini review
Posted: 10/27/08 at 5:46pm

For those of you who have seen this, how long was the production? I'm seeing it Wednesday night and was just trying to figure out which train I could make back to campus. Thanks!

WickedMuzzy422 Profile Photo
WickedMuzzy422
#10re: Farragut North: a mini review
Posted: 10/27/08 at 6:39pm

thanks for the review. hoping to see this at some point.

"Labels are for cans, not for people." --anthony Rapp

#1Elphie Profile Photo
#1Elphie
#11re: Farragut North: a mini review
Posted: 10/27/08 at 7:45pm

aliciag, I saw Sunday's matinee and it was exactly two hours (including intermission).

aliciag Profile Photo
aliciag
#12re: Farragut North: a mini review
Posted: 10/27/08 at 9:40pm

Thanks #1Elphie!

RentBoy86
#13re: Farragut North: a mini review
Posted: 10/28/08 at 12:58am

Yeah, two hours with intermission.

LimelightMike Profile Photo
LimelightMike
#14re: Farragut North: a mini review
Posted: 11/3/08 at 2:45pm

Can anyone give a better synopsis than what's already readily available? I'm GREATLY intrigued, and very much considering book tix to see this one. Any and all insight appreciated.

whatever2
#15re: Farragut North: a mini review
Posted: 11/3/08 at 2:49pm

mike: much more info, and we're talking spoilers!

"You, sir, are a moron." (PlayItAgain)

Sirius Black Profile Photo
Sirius Black
#16re: Farragut North: a mini review
Posted: 11/3/08 at 3:12pm

The plot concerns the Presidential election and a very young press secretary with hard scrabble beginnings and his machinations behind the scenes of the Iowa caucuses.

FeelingElectric
#17re: Farragut North: a mini review
Posted: 11/3/08 at 4:00pm

I saw Farragut North last Thursday night. It's a great political drama, but a little more predictable than I would care for. From the end of Act I, I could see exactly where story was going. That's not to say I didn't enjoy the journey getting there.

I thought John Gallagher Jr. was absolutely electric. Chris Noth, and Olivia Thrilby were also fantastic. The supporting performances by Kate Blumberg and Isiah Whitlock Jr. were top notch. It's a very strong cast.

Farragut North is definitely worth two hours of your time.

Drench yourself in words unspoken. Live your life with arms wide open. Today is where your book begins. The rest is still unwritten. "Unwritten" Natasha Bedingfield
Updated On: 11/3/08 at 04:00 PM

LimelightMike Profile Photo
LimelightMike
#18re: Farragut North: a mini review
Posted: 11/3/08 at 4:38pm

What I'm *really* asking is: "How would one 'sell' the show to someone who's a little 'iffy' about seeing it?" -- How could I make the prospect of seeing this interesting? Aside from "Oh, well, it's a political drama."
Updated On: 11/3/08 at 04:38 PM

dramamama611 Profile Photo
dramamama611
#19re: Farragut North: a mini review
Posted: 11/3/08 at 7:03pm

I saw this on Saturday night. I enjoyed it, but there are definitely some major flaws. I HATED the costumes, EVERYONE looked like a schlump.

All the advertising leads you to believe that there is a sexual reason for the "shakedown" and it does not pan out that way.

I'm a big fan of Gallagher's but I was left a little disappointed. Drove me nuts everytime his leftover (from Port Authority -- which I loved him in.) irish brogue slipped in.

I also found the story telling to be a bit confusing at times.

Don't get me wrong: I enjoyed the show, and it certainly gave me food for thought. But I was left a little unsatisfied.

If we're not having fun, then why are we doing it? These are DISCUSSION boards, not mutual admiration boards. Discussion only occurs when we are willing to hear what others are thinking, regardless of whether it is alignment to our own thoughts.

RentBoy86
#20re: Farragut North: a mini review
Posted: 11/3/08 at 7:39pm

Well, it's political, but there is more to it than that. I'm the least political person alive, and I enjoyed the play. I found the story engaging, and I found all the performances to be great. I don't think it's the best play I've seen, but it's not horrible. I'd recommend it.

#1Elphie Profile Photo
#1Elphie
#21re: Farragut North: a mini review
Posted: 11/3/08 at 10:12pm

I saw it again on Friday and thought it was interesting that they made some changes since the last time I saw it. I can't decide whether I like it better now or not.

I'm not incredibly political either, but that didn't prevent me from enjoying it. And I agree that it was predictable at times, but I was still interested. I thought the characters were complex, and even though they were flawed I still cared what happened to them.

musicman_bwayfan
#22re: Farragut North: a mini review
Posted: 11/4/08 at 4:11am

I saw this 2 weeks ago...a Saturday night performance. The entire audience was into the show. I thought it was excellent...cast was fantastic. The space was perfect for the show...I'd definitely see it again if I had the flexibility in my schedule.

njohn
#23re: Farragut North: a mini review
Posted: 11/19/08 at 12:06pm

Anymore reviews and changes they've made? Possibilities for Broadway?

cathywellerstein Profile Photo
cathywellerstein
#24re: Farragut North: a mini review
Posted: 11/21/08 at 12:03am

Is there a rush at all?