pixeltracker

In The Heights/ Wicked Movie soon to a Cinema Near You- Page 5

In The Heights/ Wicked Movie soon to a Cinema Near You

nicole neumann2 Profile Photo
nicole neumann2
#100re: In The Heights/ Wicked Movie soon to a Cinema Near You
Posted: 11/10/08 at 9:25am

I am very happy that they are makeing a movie of In The Heights. I loved the show. i would love to see the whole cast from the show to do it. like they did with RENT. i don't want to see movie, or singers stars been in it. i want to see the whole cast. no a fenfes!!!!!!!!!.....nicole

and same with Wicked

James885 Profile Photo
James885
#101re: In The Heights/ Wicked Movie soon to a Cinema Near You
Posted: 11/10/08 at 11:59am

i would love to see the whole cast from the show to do it. like they did with RENT. i don't want to see movie, or singers stars been in it. i want to see the whole cast.

Yeah, because having the original cast worked so well for the Rent film.

Look at all the recent movie musicals: Mamma Mia!, Hairspray, Sweeney Todd and Dreamgirls all had at least one bankable Hollywood star to draw people in. These days, movie musicals have to have stars with box office draws in order to have any chance of making money. This is especially true with In The Heights since I doubt that anyone outside of theater fans and New Yorkers is familiar with the show.

"You drank a charm to kill John Proctor's wife! You drank a charm to kill Goody Proctor!" - Betty Parris to Abigail Williams in Arthur Miller's The Crucible

EnWashingtonHeights Profile Photo
EnWashingtonHeights
#102re: In The Heights/ Wicked Movie soon to a Cinema Near You
Posted: 11/10/08 at 2:42pm

Well for Rent it was ten years after they first played the roles on Broadway.
For In The Heights it would be 2 or 3.

ray-andallthatjazz86 Profile Photo
ray-andallthatjazz86
#103re: In The Heights/ Wicked Movie soon to a Cinema Near You
Posted: 11/10/08 at 3:15pm

The main issue with RENT was not that the actors were too old (though it certainly was an issue), but that their performances came off as to theatrical, uninspired, and lacking for the screen. Take Adam Pascal for instance, he barely registered on the screen and he lacked any sort of star power on film to carry the whole thing as the romantic lead.
Rosario Dawson and Tracie Thoms on the other hand were able to bring in a new take on the roles and tone down their performances for the silver screen.
Even if the whole cast had been great at acting on film, nobody knew who they were, nobody cared. Unfortunately, films need names to succeed, especially movie musicals.

"Some people can thrive and bloom living life in a living room, that's perfect for some people of one hundred and five. But I at least gotta try, when I think of all the sights that I gotta see, all the places I gotta play, all the things that I gotta be at"

crushgroove
#104re: In The Heights/ Wicked Movie soon to a Cinema Near You
Posted: 11/11/08 at 9:08am

Why would anyone think that Robin DeJesus is too old for the part on film? Have you actually ever met him?! I've been friends with him for a couple of years...he could pass for much younger than his 23 years.

I really find it odd that people think this wouldn't do well. Don't underestimate the OTHER core demographic...and I don't mean the theater people...this show is about the latin american community! I think they will come out in droves, just like they have to the show. I think they find it refreshing to see their community portrayed positively. And if they promote the way they did the show, I think it could do modestly at the box office.

I think since Lin Manuel is involved...I think it will be made right. I can only imagine if Mr. Larson had been alive and had a hand in making the film, it would have turned out much better. Maybe Lin will take on directing duties like John Cameron Mitchell did ala Hedwig.

And yes, Mandy Gonzales would not work on film...I do love her in the part, amazing voice.

Luiz Guzman would make a hilarious piragua guy.
If Jennifer Lopez is producing, she possibly may take a smaller part like Daniella...which I think she'd be great for.
Though I do hope they will get some of the orginal cast back...especially Robin and Olga...both of whom have done film work. Olga was one of Madonna's cousins in Evita.

LizzieCurry Profile Photo
LizzieCurry
#105re: In The Heights/ Wicked Movie soon to a Cinema Near You
Posted: 11/11/08 at 3:11pm

Oh god. I can see the BroadwaySecrets submissions already.

"This thread reads like a series of White House memos." — Mister Matt

PiraguaGuy2
#106re: In The Heights/ Wicked Movie soon to a Cinema Near You
Posted: 11/11/08 at 3:17pm

Ugh. Robin de Jesus is too old for the role NOW.
Tommy Kail should direct.

Formerly SirNotAppearing - Joined 3/08

bwayfan3
#107re: In The Heights/ Wicked Movie soon to a Cinema Near You
Posted: 11/11/08 at 11:02pm

How about Adrian Bailon from the Cheetah girls. as far as I know she's puerto rican, knows how to dance, speaks spanish, and she sings. although i don't know if she's going to be able to handle those high notes, nina has to sing.

JP2 Profile Photo
JP2
#108re: In The Heights/ Wicked Movie soon to a Cinema Near You
Posted: 11/11/08 at 11:34pm

What about Christina Milian?

Burning_Oasis
#109re: In The Heights/ Wicked Movie soon to a Cinema Near You
Posted: 11/12/08 at 12:17am

I am not that familiar with ITH, but I think they should consider Krysta Rodriguez for the film. I know she understudies some of the parts in the show, is talented, and is young. If anyone in the cast has a shot at being in the film, I think she should have a pretty good chance.

Sure, she isn't a name,her only screen role that I am aware of was some character in Gossip Girl, but why does every character in a film musical have to be a name? Doing a movie like this could give her a big break into the film business.

toanythingtaboo 2 Profile Photo
toanythingtaboo 2
#110re: In The Heights/ Wicked Movie soon to a Cinema Near You
Posted: 11/12/08 at 8:48am

I would imagine that Lin will be one of the only Broadway stars to be in the film, whether thats 'right' or not is another matter.

They could give the 'original' fans a nod by including some of the Broadway cast in fleeting roles, so it doesn't feel like the show has totally been swept away from us?

JP2 Profile Photo
JP2
#111re: In The Heights/ Wicked Movie soon to a Cinema Near You
Posted: 11/12/08 at 5:51pm

Hedwig
Rocky Horror
Little Shop of Horrors

Having OBC's in movies isn't always a bad thing. . .

Videos