pixeltracker

Anyone Out There Over 30 on This Board

Anyone Out There Over 30 on This Board

show lover
#1Anyone Out There Over 30 on This Board
Posted: 12/8/08 at 10:15am

OK here we go. I know I'm going to get alot of angry emails.
It seems to me that 90% of the people on this message board are from New York and are under 30.
When I talk about another kids show and the high cost of tcks it does not seem to bother anyone I get yelled back at.
What I want to know is how many of you pay full price.
Shows cannot make it on Rush tcks Student Tcks etc. If all the seats were $25.00 you would not have Broadway.
Alot of people on here say I saw that show 3 times going again. You know these are not full price.
I am talking about the average theater goer who does not live in New York and when we go to New York we so not have weeks to sit around if we want to see a certain show. It is not right.
We want good theater and shows worth paying $100.00 and up for.
Ok guys attack me, but there must be someone out there over 30 who agrees with me.

Yankeefan007
#2re: Anyone Out There Over 30 on This Board
Posted: 12/8/08 at 10:18am

What does age have to do with paying full price?

There are a lot of shows where full price is under $50. At least, there used to be. There's also TDF, which is open to students, seniors, teachers, clergy; the TKTS booth provides discounts; there are plenty of papering organizations, etc.

#2re: Anyone Out There Over 30 on This Board
Posted: 12/8/08 at 10:20am

I couldn't understand single thing you wrote, but wanted to make sure everyone knows that I am a bitter old queen who doesn't even live in New York.

But the "old" part is relative- I can't IMAGINE being over 30!

millie_dillmount Profile Photo
millie_dillmount
#3re: Anyone Out There Over 30 on This Board
Posted: 12/8/08 at 10:21am

I don't think I quite get what you are asking, other than how many of us pay full price. Some of your sentences are confusing.

Well, first of all, the actual people who regularly post here make up a minority of the people who go to shows, unfortunately.

I rarely pay full price. I have only done so on a few occasions. I use discount codes more, which can get expensive, but not as bad as full price tickets. I have a job and save up money to see shows. And, yes, I have seen shows multiple times.

Obviously shows cannot survive on selling just rush tickets...

You think for someone over 30 that they'd at least make more sense in their posts.

"We like to snark around here. Sometimes we actually talk about theater...but we try not to let that get in our way." - dramamama611
Updated On: 12/8/08 at 10:21 AM

show lover
#4re: Anyone Out There Over 30 on This Board
Posted: 12/8/08 at 10:22am

This is what I am talking about age does have alot. You said student and senior. What about the average guy making 35,00 a year.
You must admit a show cannot run for years on discounted tcks.

shpants Profile Photo
shpants
#5re: Anyone Out There Over 30 on This Board
Posted: 12/8/08 at 10:25am

Sorry, don't really get it.

I have always paid full price for tickets, but that is because I usually have my heart set on a show, and would be upset if there were no last minute deals or no good seats left. I would rather be safe than sorry.

I'm under 30. Does that help??

(So confused!)

"You see, I told you so! There's lots of things I know. 'Ponine, she knows her way around."

millie_dillmount
#6re: Anyone Out There Over 30 on This Board
Posted: 12/8/08 at 10:26am

Shows have run for years and had numerous discounts.

Look at Mamma Mia, Beauty and the Beast, Chicago, and Phantom of the Opera. All of those shows have run for years and have had a significant amount of discounts available. Sometimes the average person might not be aware of discounts.

I suggest you word your sentences differently...

"This is what I am talking about age does have alot.."

A lot of what??

"We like to snark around here. Sometimes we actually talk about theater...but we try not to let that get in our way." - dramamama611
Updated On: 12/8/08 at 10:26 AM

show lover
#7re: Anyone Out There Over 30 on This Board
Posted: 12/8/08 at 10:26am

Well I am over 30 and over 50 and you know exactly what I am talking about.

show lover
#8re: Anyone Out There Over 30 on This Board
Posted: 12/8/08 at 10:28am

That is what I am talking about. If we pay high prices we want to see good theater Not all the Diseny shows and shows they keep brinig back

millie_dillmount
#9re: Anyone Out There Over 30 on This Board
Posted: 12/8/08 at 10:28am

"Well I am over 30 and over 50 and you know exactly what I am talking about."

Well, what good does that do when others do not know exactly what you are trying to get at? I mean, if you are over 50, I suspect you would be able to communicate your ideas more clearly.

show lover
#10re: Anyone Out There Over 30 on This Board
Posted: 12/8/08 at 10:31am

I bet if I was talking on the phone to you this way you would n
know what I am saying.
This is a message board to keep it short not go into detail
Get real you guys.

millie_dillmount
#11re: Anyone Out There Over 30 on This Board

"That is what I am talking about. If we pay high prices we want to see good theater Not all the Diseny shows and shows they keep brinig back"

Ugh.

There are currently three Disney shows on Broadway: Mary Poppins, Lion King, and Little Mermaid. And what the hell is wrong with show revivals? Chicago is a revival, and has been running more than 10 years!

There is plenty of theater in NYC...go spend your money elsewhere if you cannot find something you like on Broadway.

ljay889 Profile Photo
ljay889
#12re: Anyone Out There Over 30 on This Board

if we pay high prices we want to see good theater Not all the Diseny shows and shows they keep brinig back

- What?

thetheatrekook Profile Photo
thetheatrekook
#13re: Anyone Out There Over 30 on This Board

I don't even understand the logic here...it's not like Broadway is pay what you want...the producers are making these tickets available at different prices (and there are TONS of way the Average Joe making $35k can afford B'way without paying full price...there are general rushes (not limited to students/seniors), TKTS as mentioned before, discount codes, etc etc).

The producers know what they're doing...they allot the tickets specifically - some are full price, some are discounted, some are rush...etc. It's not like there's a B'way house that's completely filled and everyone paid $25 to see it. They know how many seats they can afford to discount. Trust me, they're doing the math.

www.kickfornick.com

millie_dillmount
#14re: Anyone Out There Over 30 on This Board
Posted: 12/8/08 at 10:33am

"I bet if I was talking on the phone to you this way you would n
know what I am saying.
This is a message board to keep it short not go into detail
Get real you guys."

That's the point - this isn't a phone conversation, and it is often more difficult to express ideas online. And you still don't make sense even if you claim you are keeping it short! Some of your sentences are horribly worded.

Updated On: 12/8/08 at 10:33 AM

show lover
#15re: Anyone Out There Over 30 on This Board
Posted: 12/8/08 at 10:33am

You tell me The Little Mermaid is great theater worth $100.00 a ticket compared to August Osage County

millie_dillmount
#16re: Anyone Out There Over 30 on This Board
Posted: 12/8/08 at 10:34am

Point being...?

Theater is subjective...everyone has a different opinion. And for someone who is trying to make their kid happy, I would say that Little Mermaid is worth more compared to August. On the other hand, most people here would say that August is definitely a more enlightening theater experience over Mermaid. It depends on the audience whether or not the ticket is worth it. Don't see the Little Mermaid then! As I said, spend your money elsewhere.

Updated On: 12/8/08 at 10:34 AM

thetheatrekook Profile Photo
thetheatrekook
#17re: Anyone Out There Over 30 on This Board
Posted: 12/8/08 at 10:34am

i'm so confused...LOL.

www.kickfornick.com

show lover
#18re: Anyone Out There Over 30 on This Board
Posted: 12/8/08 at 10:36am

Well it must be great to live in New York and decide all the time what show is cheaper and when you can go.
But when you do not live there and only go a few times a year you do not have time to stand at the theater hoping to get a ticket.

millie_dillmount
#19re: Anyone Out There Over 30 on This Board
Posted: 12/8/08 at 10:37am

"But when you do not live there and only go a few times a year you do not have time to stand at the theater hoping to get a ticket."

Hence Ticketmaster or Telecharge. And numerous discounts through Playbill and Theatermania. Which are usually available months in advance.

Updated On: 12/8/08 at 10:37 AM

show lover
#20re: Anyone Out There Over 30 on This Board
Posted: 12/8/08 at 10:40am

I do not understand why everyone is so confused.
The point is.......
Theater tcks are priced to high...
The quality of the theater is not good. (how many messages on here say good it deserves to close awful how could they etc....
Come on guys read the messages

shpants Profile Photo
shpants
#21re: Anyone Out There Over 30 on This Board
Posted: 12/8/08 at 10:41am

I do understand what you're saying. When you don't live in NYC it is a lot harder to get cheaper tickets, if you don't want to spend your entire time there standing in line hoping to score something good.

That being said, stop complaining. If you don't like to spend the money for tickets and don't want to spend your time waiting in line, I suggest you get a new hobby. The tickets aren't going to just fall into anyones lap. Little Mermaid OR August Osage County. (not really sure what the difference is.)

"You see, I told you so! There's lots of things I know. 'Ponine, she knows her way around."

PalJoey Profile Photo
PalJoey
#22re: Anyone Out There Over 30 on This Board
Posted: 12/8/08 at 10:42am

I'm way over 30 and I think you're both incomprehensible and an idiot.

millie_dillmount
#23re: Anyone Out There Over 30 on This Board
Posted: 12/8/08 at 10:45am

"When you don't live in NYC it is a lot harder to get cheaper tickets, if you don't want to spend your entire time there standing in line hoping to score something good."

What difference does it make? The poster claimed they were over 50, so student rush is out. You do not need to line up a certain time in lottery to better your chances. If you can't stand in line for the TKTS booth, you can buy discounted tickets in advance with codes, and the price of the ticket will end up costing about as much as it would have at TKTS.

Go spend your money beyond Broadway if you do not like what is out there.

show lover
#24re: Anyone Out There Over 30 on This Board
Posted: 12/8/08 at 10:45am

How about people making a stand and not wanting to pay the high prices. We can make a difference.
Look at the gas prices by not using alot we made them fall.
Sometimes you have to say enough is enough or you will lose Broadway all together.
Now say you do not understand me.......
I do pay high price but I am tired of it.
I remember when you paid less for Mat. and less if there was not a star in the show.
When shows came to your home town they were always cheaper because the sets were less and the stars were not there.

Videos