pixeltracker

Can Anyone Tell Me About The Water Engine?

Can Anyone Tell Me About The Water Engine?

Schmerg_The_Impaler Profile Photo
Schmerg_The_Impaler
#1Can Anyone Tell Me About The Water Engine?
Posted: 12/17/08 at 6:20pm

I'm a high school theatre critic, and I'm deciding whether I want to see and review a local high school production of "The Water Engine." All I know about it is that it's by David Mamet and Patti LuPone was in it. Can anyone in the know tell me anything about the show that I might want to know?

In my pants, she has burst like the music of angels, the light of the sun! --Marius Pantsmercy
Updated On: 12/17/08 at 06:20 PM

Wanna Be A Foster Profile Photo
Wanna Be A Foster
#2re: Can Anyone Tell Me About The Water Engine?
Posted: 12/17/08 at 6:33pm

It's an incredible play, in my opinion.

It's about a working class scientist who works for a big corporation. He does research in his own lab at home as well. Anyway, on his own, in his own lab, he invents an engine that runs only on water.

He naively goes about telling the right people about it so he can get credit, and some wealthy lawyers and scientists at the company he works for deceive him and try to steal his patent.

There's more to the story than that. Patti LuPone played his blind sister who lives with him.

Absolutely see it and review it. You may want to read it before you see this production.

"Winning a Tony this year is like winning Best Attendance in third grade: no one will care but the winner and their mom."
-Kad

"I have also met him in person, and I find him to be quite funny actually. Arrogant and often misinformed, but still funny."
-bjh2114 (on Michael Riedel)

Schmerg_The_Impaler
#2re: Can Anyone Tell Me About The Water Engine?
Posted: 12/17/08 at 6:46pm

Ooh, this sounds very interesting. Thanks so much for the information! I'll check and see if they have a copy of the play in my theatre classroom.

In my pants, she has burst like the music of angels, the light of the sun! --Marius Pantsmercy

givesmevoice Profile Photo
givesmevoice
#3re: Can Anyone Tell Me About The Water Engine?
Posted: 12/17/08 at 6:49pm

isn't there a VHS version from...90something floating around? although that's only useful if you have a VCR.

When I see the phrase "the ____ estate", I imagine a vast mansion in the country full of monocled men and high-collared women receiving letters about productions across the country and doing spit-takes at whatever they contain. -Kad

Wanna Be A Foster
#4re: Can Anyone Tell Me About The Water Engine?
Posted: 12/17/08 at 6:50pm

I have the VHS version! re: Can Anyone Tell Me About The Water Engine?

"Winning a Tony this year is like winning Best Attendance in third grade: no one will care but the winner and their mom."
-Kad

"I have also met him in person, and I find him to be quite funny actually. Arrogant and often misinformed, but still funny."

Jack King
#5re: Can Anyone Tell Me About The Water Engine?
Posted: 12/17/08 at 6:56pm

Great idea. Storyline is nothing new as a general template. That is, it's the genius inventor whose work is stolen by the those far wiser in commerce and industry, which the inventors are not.

Look up a terrific Alec Guinness Brit movie, "MAN IN THE WHITE SUIT, in which he plays an inventor put out of work. However he
gets his retribution. Great example of this. He has come up with a cloth that will seemingly last forever. Of course, this will put the mills out of operation because they will only have to make one lot. I won't tell you the rest. But I bet that perhaps the water fuel will end up with the same fatal flaw.

And here quick! Here's a great idea for a play. Take the current plight of the outmoded U.S. car industry. Some genius comes up with a car that will give unlimited mileage and the body will never wear out. Aha! But then the big 3 weenies figure out that ****man they won't have to make some many cars. And so they'll be in an even worse situation.

Of course, they has to be a fatal flaw in these perfect cars. For that see THE MAN IN THE WHITE SUIT all the way to the end! :)

Schmerg_The_Impaler
#6re: Can Anyone Tell Me About The Water Engine?
Posted: 12/17/08 at 7:03pm

I don't usually like to see the movie version of a play before I review it, because I don't like to compare the film actors to the high school actors, or have preconceived ideas of how the characters should look and sound. If it's something like "Fiddler On The Roof," that's pretty much unavoidable, but with the more obscure stuff, I try to skip the movie until after I've seen the play.

Jack... your post utterly confuses me.

Wanna Be A Foster
#7re: Can Anyone Tell Me About The Water Engine?
Posted: 12/17/08 at 7:06pm

Smart, Schmerg. That's why I didn't mention the movie in my first post.

-Kad

givesmevoice Profile Photo
givesmevoice
#8re: Can Anyone Tell Me About The Water Engine?
Posted: 12/17/08 at 7:19pm

Schmerg, that makes sense. I don't mind seeing movie versions first, but I definitely understand not wanting to watch it. (sometimes I just like pretending I have valid things to contribute to threads. =P)

When I see the phrase "the ____ estate", I imagine a vast mansion in the country full of monocled men and high-collared women receiving letters about productions across the country and doing spit-takes at whatever they contain. -Kad

Jack King
#9re: Can Anyone Tell Me About The Water Engine?
Posted: 12/17/08 at 7:19pm

That's because you're not very smart. Not your fault. Hopefully, the more intelligent people will understand.

Wanna Be A Foster
#10re: Can Anyone Tell Me About The Water Engine?
Posted: 12/17/08 at 7:24pm

Jack, that personal attack was completely uncalled for.

-Kad

Schmerg_The_Impaler
#11re: Can Anyone Tell Me About The Water Engine?
Posted: 12/17/08 at 7:37pm

Jack, it is true that I'm not a genius and that I'm obviously a lot younger and less experienced than you are.

But that doesn't make sentences like this one make sense:

Aha! But then the big 3 weenies figure out that ****man they won't have to make some many cars. And so they'll be in an even worse situation.

Though I guess it takes a special sort of person to appreciate the subtle beauty of expletives, grammatical mistakes, and direct contradictions ('some many?')

Chrysanthemum62001
#12re: Can Anyone Tell Me About The Water Engine?
Posted: 12/17/08 at 9:42pm

I love love LOVE this play. You should go see it.

"What a mystery this world. One day you love them and the next day you want to kill them a thousand times over." The Masked Bandit in THE FALL

A Director
#13re: Can Anyone Tell Me About The Water Engine?
Posted: 12/17/08 at 10:20pm

I like the play. It's written in the style of a 1930s radio play. I think it's a good idea not to see the movie version of a play you are going to review because many times, the two a very different.

Wanna Be A Foster
#14re: Can Anyone Tell Me About The Water Engine?
Posted: 12/18/08 at 10:31am

Schmerg, be sure to post your thoughts here after you see it!

-Kad

Reginald Tresilian Profile Photo
Reginald Tresilian
#15re: Can Anyone Tell Me About The Water Engine?
Posted: 12/18/08 at 5:41pm

Schmerg, you've proven yourself much smarter than those douches who resort to invective to make up for the absence of thought.

millie_dillmount Profile Photo
millie_dillmount
#16re: Can Anyone Tell Me About The Water Engine?
Posted: 12/18/08 at 5:51pm

Schmerg, Jack's post confused me as well. Guess I am not intelligent. Being stupid rocks! re: Can Anyone Tell Me About The Water Engine?

"We like to snark around here. Sometimes we actually talk about theater...but we try not to let that get in our way." - dramamama611

Schmerg_The_Impaler
#17re: Can Anyone Tell Me About The Water Engine?
Posted: 2/7/09 at 12:33pm

I just came back from the production that I saw, and I thought that the acting was fantastic, and the material was intriguing, but the production itself was a bit confusing. It was performed as a radio show, so the actors were standing in front of microphones to speak, while foley artists sitting on the sides were making the sound effects of walking down the street or pouring water-- which was interesting, but it meant that you couldn't really see any bond between the characters, especially Lang and his sister. I loved the foley artists, though-- they were great.

There's more to the story than that. Patti LuPone played his blind sister who lives with him.
In this production, you couldn't tell that she was blind, since it was never specifically stated, and all she did was stand in front of a microphone and talk into it. No one else I was with knew she was blind until I brought it up (because of this thread!) Her character seemed a bit of a throwaway, which is odd, because she's very important to the plot. She was a good actress, but I felt like the production was downplaying her-- it was the only part she played, and some other female characters were on stage so much more.

Having some actors playing multiple roles was confusing because they wore the same costumes and you couldn't tell which character was which. I'm still not entirely sure which character was supposed to be which-- for example, WAS the reporter the policeman under cover, or was he just playing two characters? The lady who worked at the world's fair played about five characters, and it was hard to know exactly which one of them had the chain letter.

I enjoyed the show, but I felt like nobody there had any idea what was going on-- including some of the actors.

Schmerg, Jack's post confused me as well. Guess I am not intelligent. Being stupid rocks!

After seeing this production, I'm beginning to feel that maybe I AM stupid. After all, a high school play just went over my head!

Updated On: 2/7/09 at 12:33 PM

Scott Briefer
#18re: Can Anyone Tell Me About The Water Engine?
Posted: 2/8/09 at 12:00am

The Water Engine got it's premiere at The Public Theater's short-lived, dinner theater. I was a waiter there and saw The Water Engine performance after performance for it's entire run before moving to Broadway. Runaways also started at The Public's dinner theater.

Even the original production was confusing. Many audience members left confused and would often ask us what they had seen. Of course, having seen it many times, I became quite familiar with the material and would answer questions.

Videos