City of Angels revival

kissmekateshindle Profile Photo
kissmekateshindle
#1City of Angels revival
Posted: 3/1/09 at 5:05pm

I'm ready for a City of Angels revival! Anybody else? I want thoughts on who the stars would be. I'm thinking Marc Kudisch as Stone, Brian D'arcy James as Stine, Kate Shindle in the Alaura Kingsley track, Amy Spanger in the Oolie track, maybe a bit old but I would love to hear Rebecca Luker in the Bobbie track, and of course Danny Burstein as Buddy. Please posts thoughts! This show deserves another run on the Great White Way with some today's hottest stars at the helm.

Valjeanjolras Profile Photo
Valjeanjolras
#2re: City of Angels revival
Posted: 3/1/09 at 5:07pm

OMG KISSMEKATE where have you been all my life!?!
I have always wanted to see BdJ play Stine.
how about craig bierko as stone?

Theatreboy49 Profile Photo
Theatreboy49
#2re: City of Angels revival
Posted: 3/1/09 at 5:56pm

Im not a bierko fan at all so I disgagree there. Id actually be super intrested to see Sutton Foster's take on Oolie. Shes been doing the same thing for a while now and I think its just enough out of her comfort zone to be wonderful.

<------ Me and my friends with patti Lupone at my friends afterparty for her concert with audra mcdonald during the summer of 2007.
"I am sorry but it is an unjust world and virtue is only triumphant in theatricle performances" The Mikado

kissmekateshindle
#3re: City of Angels revival
Posted: 3/1/09 at 5:59pm

Good thinking Theatreboy49. I'm curious as to who your Stone would be? I do like the Sutton idea but Spanger's raspy belt brings the edge that character needs.

Bwayfan4
#4re: City of Angels revival
Posted: 3/1/09 at 6:38pm

This was the first show I had ever seen on Broadway (back in the early 90s)...and I hated it. Can't say that I will EVER be ready for it to come back...

jennamajig Profile Photo
jennamajig
#5re: City of Angels revival
Posted: 3/1/09 at 6:45pm

I did run crew on City of Angels my freshmen year of undergrad. I've been dying to see a professional production since. I'd love to see a revival of this (or have a theater company in the Boston area perform it...).

I like the idea of Amy Spanger as Oolie. Somehow, I'm not seeing Sutton pulling it off.

dramamama611 Profile Photo
dramamama611
#6re: City of Angels revival
Posted: 3/1/09 at 6:51pm

I was always sad that I'd missed this one. I'd be up for a revival!

If we're not having fun, then why are we doing it? These are DISCUSSION boards, not mutual admiration boards. Discussion only occurs when we are willing to hear what others are thinking, regardless of whether it is alignment to our own thoughts.

Theatreboy49 Profile Photo
Theatreboy49
#7re: City of Angels revival
Posted: 3/1/09 at 7:36pm

Well in my dream world Stone would be Hugh Jackman and Stine would actually be Brian D'Arcy James. I agre with Kate Shindle as Alaura and while not the strongest case I made one for Sutton. I think with a really good director whose biggest focus is character work she could find somethings in the character to make her casting plausable. My biggest worry would be who plays Mallory. Remember that was when Broadway first recognized Rachel York. It could be a big number for a new comer.

<------ Me and my friends with patti Lupone at my friends afterparty for her concert with audra mcdonald during the summer of 2007.
"I am sorry but it is an unjust world and virtue is only triumphant in theatricle performances" The Mikado

Phantom of London Profile Photo
Phantom of London
#8re: City of Angels revival
Posted: 3/1/09 at 7:57pm

It be good to see this one come back.

Think this is David Zippels only successful score.

kissmekateshindle
#9re: City of Angels revival
Posted: 3/1/09 at 9:10pm

You're right Theatreboy49, I did forget about Mallory. I want a Celia Keenan Bolger or Kelli O'Hara voice with a really hot body.

Valjeanjolras
#10re: City of Angels revival
Posted: 3/1/09 at 9:13pm

So like a Clara, without the horse-kick.... Got it.
Updated On: 3/1/09 at 09:13 PM

somethingwicked Profile Photo
somethingwicked
#11re: City of Angels revival
Posted: 3/1/09 at 9:19pm

Jenny Powers would be a terrific Avril/Mallory.

Tonya Pinkins: Then we had a "Lot's Wife" last June that was my personal favorite. I'm still trying to get them to let me sing it at some performance where we get to sing an excerpt that's gone.
Tony Kushner: You can sing it at my funeral.
Updated On: 3/1/09 at 09:19 PM

kissmekateshindle
#12re: City of Angels revival
Posted: 3/1/09 at 9:23pm

YES she would! Maybe her husband Matt Cavenaugh could play Jimmy Powers!? That would be cool.

Valjeanjolras
#13re: City of Angels revival
Posted: 3/1/09 at 9:24pm

How about Denis O'Hare as Buddy. I love that guy.

kissmekateshindle
#14re: City of Angels revival
Posted: 3/1/09 at 9:27pm

Yeah! I like that better. Christopher Jackson from In the Heights could play Detective Munoz. That would be great.

Byron Abens
#15re: City of Angels revival
Posted: 3/1/09 at 11:26pm

Rebecca Luker in the Bobbi/Gabby track? She's far too lyric soprano for me to imagine her singing something as sultry and low as "With Every Breath I Take."

kissmekateshindle
#16re: City of Angels revival
Posted: 3/1/09 at 11:58pm

I had a change of heart. Although I'm sure Luker has a wonderful mid-range mix, Laura Benanti would be nearly perfect.

lovesclassics
#17re: City of Angels revival
Posted: 3/2/09 at 1:20am

I think it would be incredibly cool for Rachel York to come back and play Oolie/Donna.

kissmekateshindle
#18re: City of Angels revival
Posted: 3/2/09 at 1:24am

Rachel does not have the right voice type. Leading ladies from Pimpernel should stay away from the jazz stylings of Cy Coleman. Spanger has experience with the jazz style. Have you heard her Tom, Dick, or Harry? Wow.

Byron Abens
#19re: City of Angels revival
Posted: 3/2/09 at 1:28am

Really, Rachel York shouldn't sing Cy Coleman? Even though she originated a role in the original production? I guess somebody should have told Mr. Coleman that before he let her do such a thing.

Now, I didn't see the original production, but I think she sounds absolutely amazing on the recording.

kissmekateshindle
#20re: City of Angels revival
Posted: 3/2/09 at 1:35am

Well Sir Byron, Ms York was 18 when she originated Mallory in 1989. 20 years later I think her voice has matured a little bit into the Wildhornish voice it is today. I also don't love her on the the City recording. It is one of my lest favorite tracks. Don't mess with THE MASTER!

lovesclassics
#21re: City of Angels revival
Posted: 3/2/09 at 1:38am

Yes, Rachel York's Lost and Found is brilliant.

AND she has a solo CD that is all jazz stylings of classics from the American Songbook. It includes the best version of My Funny Valentine I have ever heard.

PLUS her version of So in Love from KMK is sheer torch sultriness.

She's soooo much more than a belter.

Valjeanjolras
#22re: City of Angels revival
Posted: 3/2/09 at 1:43am

How about the role of Jimmy Powers? I know you mentioned Matt Cavenaugh earlier, and while i L.O.V.E. Matt, I don't think his voice suits this role as well. I would love to hear a voice like Michael Buble on You Gotta Look Out for Yourself... Maybe Christian Hoff actually could pull off Jimmy Powers... or Even Harry Connick, Jr. in an ideal world

kissmekateshindle
#23re: City of Angels revival
Posted: 3/2/09 at 1:46am

WOW. Y'all are really gung-ho about this Rachel York thing. I was just trying to get away from all of the OBC members. Maybe Rene Auberjonois and James Naughton could play Mr. Kingsley and Mandril. Okay fine we can keep York in the Bobbi track.

Byron Abens
#24re: City of Angels revival
Posted: 3/2/09 at 1:48am

I was not saying that Rachel York should be playing Oolie/Donna, but to say she shouldn't sing Cy Coleman just because she has done a Wildhorn show is rather specious and felt she needed some defense before getting typecast as a Linda Eder wannabe.

I'm also going to disagree with you on your desire for Laura Benanti for Bobbi/Gabbi, on much the same basis as I felt about Rebecca Luker (who I kind of see as the new Rebecca Luker anyway). Why cast an actress with such a gorgeous, soaring soprano for a role that's so deep in the basement vocally?

Videos