pixeltracker

Bernadette Peters as Lovett - Will it EVER Happen?- Page 11

Bernadette Peters as Lovett - Will it EVER Happen?

joevitus Profile Photo
joevitus
#250Bernadette Peters agenda
Posted: 10/19/23 at 2:02pm

The last thing we need is a Mrs. Lovett with a Queens accent.

BETTY22
#251Bernadette Peters agenda
Posted: 10/19/23 at 3:11pm

Yes please.........

NOWaWarning Profile Photo
NOWaWarning
#252Bernadette Peters agenda
Posted: 10/19/23 at 3:47pm

binau said: "Well, I guess it’s not Bernadette but I’ve been asking for 14 years and I’m not about to stop now."

Nor should you! Let’s get her and Mandy in there!

binau Profile Photo
binau
#253Bernadette Peters agenda
Posted: 11/24/23 at 2:43am

Latest update: On the Evening Standard Theatre podcast they interviewed Bernadette and Lea Salonga as part of old friends. They asked Bernadette and Lea what songs they most look forward to. Bernadette's favs are Gimmick and Broadway Baby (surprising, I thought she would have said Clowns - but it's true she is having SO MUCH FUN with those songs and the audiences are eating it up). 

HOWEVER, what was really interesting is Bernadette decided to offer an answer for Lea "You must love Mrs Lovett". That is quite an interesting thing to say given Lea has some AMAZING material to sing (Everything's Coming Up Roses most obviously, but stunning performances of "Loving You" among others that are actually much more melodic than how Lea sings Mrs Lovett - where she basically speaks 'Worst Pies').

Anyway, I realise it's clutching at straws/don't want to overread - but it must be clear therefore that Bernadette really does think the role/songs would be a joy to sing. 

Well Bernadette, get your agent on the phone! Your one last opportunity to play the role on Broadway has come. And seeing Old friends (again) last night I think she actually does have the stamina and voice right now to pull it off! 

"You can't overrate Bernadette Peters. She is such a genius. There's a moment in "Too Many Mornings" and Bernadette doing 'I wore green the last time' - It's a voice that is just already given up - it is so sorrowful. Tragic. You can see from that moment the show is going to be headed into such dark territory and it hinges on this tiny throwaway moment of the voice." - Ben Brantley (2022) "Bernadette's whole, stunning performance [as Rose in Gypsy] galvanized the actors capable of letting loose with her. Bernadette's Rose did take its rightful place, but too late, and unseen by too many who should have seen it" Arthur Laurents (2009) "Sondheim's own favorite star performances? [Bernadette] Peters in ''Sunday in the Park,'' Lansbury in ''Sweeney Todd'' and ''obviously, Ethel was thrilling in 'Gypsy.'' Nytimes, 2000

GiantsInTheSky2 Profile Photo
GiantsInTheSky2
#254Bernadette Peters agenda
Posted: 11/24/23 at 7:01am

Unless they bring it across the pond, I have a feeling this Broadway revival is going in a little bit of a different direction…between Ashford and Foster, plus their Sweeneys, it feels like a departure from the performance Bernadette would give. I enjoy the choices being made by the actors but not the direction. 

I would LOVE for her to play Lovett, just maybe in a production that is more true to the story. My two cents. 

I am big. It’s the REVIVALS that got small.

dramamama611 Profile Photo
dramamama611
#255Bernadette Peters agenda
Posted: 11/24/23 at 7:58am

Shes 75! Is Lovett a cougar now, too?

Would I buy a ticket? You bet your ass. At any price. 

If we're not having fun, then why are we doing it? These are DISCUSSION boards, not mutual admiration boards. Discussion only occurs when we are willing to hear what others are thinking, regardless of whether it is alignment to our own thoughts.