pixeltracker

My brief review of South Pacific (5/14/09)

My brief review of South Pacific (5/14/09)

bwaylvsong
#1My brief review of South Pacific (5/14/09)
Posted: 5/15/09 at 11:13am

The show can be summed up in one word: INCREDIBLE!

Paulo and Laura were excellent and had great chemistry, as did everyone else. The show is visually stunning and perfect in every way. This is how ALL Musical Theatre should be!!!!!!

I'll do a more in-depth review later...

TonyVincent Profile Photo
TonyVincent
#2re: My brief review of South Pacific (5/14/09)
Posted: 5/15/09 at 11:40am

Paulo is back?

Flygirl2
#2re: My brief review of South Pacific (5/14/09)
Posted: 5/15/09 at 11:54am

Hello! I am flying in in mid-June hoping to see the show. Can you tell us where your seat was, and where you think the best seats are?? Like if you had to choose one of the sides to sit on, which one would you pick? It seems my seating choices are limited to the sides of the orchestra....thank you for your time, I would love to hear a more in-depth review; I'm a big Laura Osnes fan and can't wait to see her in this!!!! THANKS :)

bwaylvsong
#3re: My brief review of South Pacific (5/14/09)
Posted: 5/16/09 at 1:21pm

Yep, he's definitely back re: My brief review of South Pacific (5/14/09)

The sides of the orchestra are fine, as long as you're not in the very front. I was in the side mezzanine (House left), and my view was perfect.

Osnes was absolutely wonderful! Her voice and acting were the best one could wish for, and she sounded a lot like Kelli did on the recording, but she still made it her own. I wish she would have belted more in "Wonderful Guy," but she more than made up for it with everything else.

Szot was incredible. He made me tear up more than once in the second act.

Samonsky was very good. His speaking voice sounded a little cartoonish and put-on, but I got used to it. His singing and acting were otherwise excellent.

The actress playing Bloody Mary was hilarious and sang beautifully.

All of the cameo roles managed to stand out from the crowd without upstaging.

If you have any specific questions, feel free to ask!

Drunk Chita Rivera Profile Photo
Drunk Chita Rivera
#4re: My brief review of South Pacific (5/14/09)
Posted: 5/16/09 at 1:25pm

I saw it without Szot, he was out. I really wanted to see him so I was a little bummed but his understudy was good.

I loved Laura, glad to see she is getting out of the "reality show girl" name and becoming a Broadway actress.

I found the Samonsky incredibly annoying. Does he always talk like that? He was putting on this macho man voice.

bwaylvsong
#5re: My brief review of South Pacific (5/14/09)
Posted: 5/16/09 at 1:40pm

Yeah, I wonder if that's his natural speaking voice.

bwaylvsong
#6re: My brief review of South Pacific (5/14/09)
Posted: 5/16/09 at 1:44pm

Yeah, I wonder if that's his natural speaking voice.

zooxanthellae Profile Photo
zooxanthellae
#7re: My brief review of South Pacific (5/14/09)
Posted: 5/16/09 at 2:29pm

Thank you for the review; I'm so glad to hear the show is back in its original Tony Award winning condition! I just purchased tickets for the end of June and am so glad to hear that Paulo is back! I'm still a little skeptical of Laura Osnes, but I will give her the benefit of the doubt.

Do you know when Paulo is contracted to stay till? Will he definitely be there by the end of June? I know he has prior opera commitments, but I would absolutely love to see him! Thank you.

broadwayfan7 Profile Photo
broadwayfan7
#8re: My brief review of South Pacific (5/14/09)
Posted: 5/16/09 at 3:12pm

Glad you enjoyed yourself! I really liked the show when I saw it as well.

"Everytime you step on that stage it is somebody's first Broadway show and somebody's last Broadway show. Make it count."

bwaylvsong
#9re: My brief review of South Pacific (5/14/09)
Posted: 5/18/09 at 2:05pm

I'm not sure how long he's back, but he was definitely in when I saw it.
There's no reason to be skeptical of Osnes. She was amazing!

Eris0303 Profile Photo
Eris0303
#10re: My brief review of South Pacific (5/14/09)
Posted: 5/18/09 at 2:33pm

I believe Paulo is leaving again at some point soon. I seem to recall reading that he has a booking at some point in the summer.

"All our dreams can come true -- if we have the courage to pursue them." -- Walt Disney We must have different Gods. My God said "do to others what you would have them do to you". Your God seems to have said "My Way or the Highway".

tonight Profile Photo
tonight
#11re: My brief review of South Pacific (5/14/09)
Posted: 5/18/09 at 7:08pm

i'm happy for laura. :)

on the evening of the great crackling is part of a hurricane named karen olivo, whose anita impact of the measure, if it is displayed. olivo, an alum of "in the heights", has an indelible personality, a galvanized insistence that latin women on stage. ~ susanne klatten

BroadwayBound062 Profile Photo
BroadwayBound062
#12re: My brief review of South Pacific (5/14/09)
Posted: 5/18/09 at 7:12pm

Laura is really talented, I'm glad to see she is going to have a career after grease. She was wonderful in this show!

Genius lasts longer than beauty.

Videos